The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Shattered by Wolf's Magic - Gospel ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Hi,

Since Wolf's Magic is a sponsor of the Magic Café, and just released an interesting effect called "Shattered", I thought it would be interesting to discuss Gospel routine ideas for it. The URL to the effect (including video clips of the effect) are at:

http://www.wolfsmagic.com/Shattered%20Cafe%20Special.htm

Basically, the effect is a paddle type effect using a mirror that cracks and then restores itself. The routine that comes with it is based on superstition. I thought we could come up with something better using a Gospel theme.

I was thinking along the lines of a routine about pride and vanity (one of the seven deadly sins) and the virtue of humility.

Any other ideas out there?
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I just got mine, and was thinking about it.

How about a life that starts out all nice and pretty and shiny and whole, and then is shattered by sin, only to later to be restored by God's Grace and Faith in Jesus Christ.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
How about something like this:

Talk about how we put on our best behavior to fool the world and we can even begin to fool ourselves. (Bring out mirror now) Even when we look in the mirror, we convince ourselves that's who we really are. The truth is (Shatter mirror) much more distorted and ugly. However, with Christ, (Restore mirror) we become what what we can be - whole.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
From Dan's idea and Erics, idea it is pretty clear that this little item has some real potential.

Your idea really hit home with me Eric.
I often refer to our masks of self deceit, and do a lecture (not magic related) called "What Mask do you wear?" It delves into who we really are, when we think no one is looking. And how we then put on our "masks" to go out. I have enough material in all of that to develop a nice routine for "Shattered." And will use Shattered as a visual in my lecture. (I just wish it was bigger.)

BroDavid
Don Wilson
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Don Wilson
I Cor 13:12 New King James Version, "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face" could be used also.

Don
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have been considering buying this too and have been thinking of a gospel message. Obviously, there are sure to be many.

I was thinking of going with the superstitious type of beginning but not as written. More along the lines of distinguishing between false prophets and soothsayers (those that use shiny objects, most commonly crystal balls or shiny surfaces, like mirrors) and the truth as written in God's word. Bring out the mirror, maybe have them look into it and ask what they see? Quickly add that what they see is themselves, nothing more.

I don't have anything all worked out yet and I haven't purchased the effect but have just been thinking it over. You could mention how The Lord God is very opposed to astrology, fortune telling, speaking with the dead and other false prophets and then crack the mirror on the ring finger or however that is done, showing the surface cracked as an example of God's displeasure. Then remind of the additional superstition of breaking a mirror being seven years bad luck. But thankfully God is into restoration, particularly broken lives and besides, the idea of seven years bad luck for breaking a man-made item is just that - superstition as the mirror is then restored.

I don't have a good way of tying in the final broken pieces but maybe that isn't necessary either. I was wondering if there may be a good way of combining this effect with Reed's Stars and Hexes?

Now I am aware of other threads in this section and I personally, by no means have any issues in doing either of these effects for pure entertainment as they are written up or elaborated on and personalized.

I dig magic in most of its forms and enjoy performing just for fun. But I was also thinking there might be a way to really get hold of a spectator or maybe a small group and weave a solid gospel type of message combining the two effects, ending with Stars and Hexes using the shape of the cross. You could follow up on the heels of Shattered by then explaining or giving a personal witness of the TRUTH of the gospel as the effect takes place.

What do you guys think?

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1793 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
GlenD:

Since you asked, let me just say that I think we can get way too complex trying to make a trick work for us.

I have struggled with this when I am trying to be "original".

Now this isn't to say that you may not be able to refine the idea and make it work, but I believe that most of us who use magic as the medium for the gospel message have had to really work through the temptation of trying to make the message fit the trick.

We're probably far better off if we decide on the message and then look for the trick that illustrates it well, unless the final effect of the trick is loud and clear in it's relation to the message. "Shattered" may be one of those tricks.

I don't have "Shattered", but from all the reviews it sounds like a winner. My opinion would be to perform it as is in order to grab attention, or if an illustration comes to mind, be sure that it is extremely clear.

Believing that this effect may have a strong connection to a Scriptural theme, my thinking on it was the idea that we were created to reflect the glory of God, but since disobedience to God (sin) shattered that ability, we now reflect that glory in a very imperfect way. This results in disobedience, frustration, alienation from God, etc.

The process of the restoration of the mirror would then fit with the illustration of Christ's payment for our sin and our faith in him that makes this restoration possible. When we are restored, we are now able to reflect the glory of God through the power of the Spirit, etc. (I wouldn't get too wordy here, though).

This is just off the top of my head and I would want to think through my wording and theology a bit more here.

Anyway, for what it's worth those are my thoughts. If you feel that you're on to something with your idea, I encourage you to keep working on it. You may see something that I don't right now, and it wouldn't be the first time that I have missed something that someone else saw!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
GlenD and Terry; Both of you have brought up some interesting ideas that may stimulate others as to how a message may be enhanced by this effect.

While I usually agree that it is best to start with a message, then select an effect that will enhance it, "Shattered" may be an exception. In it's simplicity it seems to have the potential for a host of ideas that can be developed around it.

I encourage you to continue to brainstorm your ideas and thank you for sharing them with us.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Thanks for the replies and ideas. I like your "off the top of your head" message Terry and I also appreciate your warning. If you meant it as such. Like I said, I do not have anything even close to a tight, well worded routine figured out. I was only sharing some thoughts and ideas that I have.

Thanks Doug for the encouragement.
In my above post, I just sort of pictured sitting down one-on-one with someone (or maybe a small group) and being able to witness in a creative and magical way. I think Stars and Hexes has strong possibilities for a lead in to an invitation.

The point to be made or message would be... Wait a minute, Does there have to be only one message? Or can a story be told that relays more than one message and possibly ends with an invitation or personal reflection concerning salvation?

Anyway, I hope I made some sense and I bring up these questions as honest questions and I appreciate any and all thoughtful replies.

In Christ,
GlenD

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Without giving the actual contents away, Shattered comes with three distinct "stages" or props. And using anything except the first one, is optional, and I generally use only two of the three.

But my point is that you can certainly build a variety of premises/story lines on it. And building to an invitation is possible with most of them, even the most basic.

I don't know that the story has to be long or involved, and in fact, I prefer short and clear illustrations, that I can then help/allow the individual to identify with.

Here is one quick one. You show things whole. You show things broken. You show things whole again. (Now you are basically done with the prop....) Then you talk about us thinking we are whole, but down deep, even though we look pretty good, we know that isn't true. Then you talk about the effect of sin and how we really look (to ourselves and God!) which is like the
"Shattered" mirror you saw.

What is sin? Lies, cheating, stealing, lusting.. ever done any of those? More than one? Sure we all have... So what does that make you? A sinner.... But do you remember what happened after you saw the shattered mirror, you saw it become whole again. didn't you? That is how we look to God when we accept His gift of Grace and Forgiveness through Jesus Christ.... How do you want to live? In Sin? Do you ever feel broken, guilty, ashamed and all by yourself? That is your sin accusing you. Do you feel like that shattered mirror? That is your sin accusing you. Wouldn't you prefer to feel free and whole, and have the constant presence of God in your life? Do you want to be like that bright unblemished shiny polished mirror? You know that isn't possible to do by yourself, because you know what you are really like. You know your sins! But God says He will "not remember" our sins. He says that we will look to Him, like the shiniest, purest person ever, when we accept Jesus Christ. What do you want? How do you want to live?

Obviously, the message needs to relate to the individual and be personal. But I haven't found many, who confronted by their own sin and folly, won't usually acknowledge it, and at least think about what you have said.

And I think Shattered makes a great tool for the illustration, or weaving a story.

BroDavid
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks for all your contributions. But most of all thanks for pointing out this effect, as I tend to put on blinders when it comes to ads.

John
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
I like to thank everyone too. Perhaps these ideas can be included in the instructions for other Gospel magicians. I can't think of any other broken and restored mirror effects out there, so this has some unique possiblities for sharing the Gospel.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hi folks,
I am glad this thread has been started. Great ideas! One of my elderly magic mentors used to do magic for Sunday school kids. His ability to wrap scripture around the most generic prop was AMAZING! I could only imagine what he would do today if his health was not failing so bad. I can assure you he has EARNED his seat above.

I look forward to more input from Café members as to the Biblical applications for Shattered.

Thank you,
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Thanks for chiming in here Chance.
I will certainly be placing an order for "shattered" soon. I find myself thinking about it a lot lately and the uses it could have.

GlenD

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Only one caution, that is more of a reality check than a caution, shattered is very small. I don't have mine at hand right now, but it is about 2.5 inches (or less. I will post exact size tonight.)

That is my only disappointment with it. And I understand why they made it that size, or at least I can see how they have directed the routine to take advantage of the size.

One move in particular that they suggest, takes advantage of the small size. But I have been doing that move for years with a 4 inch hot rod...

However, the small size does not detract at all from closeup applications. And I really like mine, and use it in that environment.

But I would like to use it in bigger venues (parlor/street) so I just wish it was bigger....

BroDavid
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
BroDavid,
We came to that size for many reasons as it was more applicable for Close-Up. There are several other reasons I could list but that was the final size decision. Oh well, that was the closest thing to criticism that I have got yet! So I am NOT complaining Smile
Just for the record folks, I sent BroDavid a PM to take care of his needs Smile
Take care,
Chance Wolf

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Wow, Thanks Chance! I got the PM.

Folks, in rereading my post, I see how it may have appeared to be a back hand shot at Shattered because I would like a larger one. So if I gave any inkling of a negative tone in my review, I want to make sure I correct the record. I really do think that Shattered is a pretty neat product.

And you know that if I didn't like it, I would be clear that I didn't like it, as I have with other products.

In fact, let me take it one step further to say that Shattered is a great product that, through it's three phases, which can be used together or ala cart, allows you a wonderful opportunity to apply Christian messages.

And Chance has another twist to the Shattered concept in development that will be great when/if he chooses to release it.

In addition, his service to his customers is first class!

BroDavid
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Thanks BroDavid! It is nice to be appreciated and good customer service is a true key to success Smile
I will keep everyone posted as to the new spin on "Shattered" as time goes on.
Take care,
Chance

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
For those who may not have heard, Wolf Magic has introduced a JUMBO Shattered that is shaped like a large shard of broken glass, but works like the standard Shattered.

I have mine on order and hope to see it very soon.

I think it will go a long way to taking a message about shattered lives, and the restorative power of God!

This version of Shattered comes with a velvet case, but not the extra bits. But I think the size more than makes up for any benefit that you get from the "extras" in the standard shattered.

Congratulations to Chance for responding to a market need (my suggestion for a larger version). Shattered is destined to be a real classic in both sizes.

BroDavid
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Here's an idea.

We aren't God, but we were created in his IMAGE. It doesn't mean we're perfect. There are several scriptures referring to the fact that we reflect the Glory of God through how we live our lives. Sin shatters and marrs that reflection, but by God's mercies, which are new every morning, we are renewed daily through repentance.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Shattered by Wolf's Magic - Gospel ideas? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL