The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Looking For A Smashed Watch Routine.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I've had a bag of identical wristwatches lying in my drawer for ages..waiting for inspiration ... but nothing yet!

Basically, I'm looking for a smashed and restored wristwatch routine to use either in my close-up routine, kids show (especially), or my street busking show. Using a change bag/sock kind of idea, perhaps.

Anyone got any ideas??

All appreciated!

Thanks

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Tommy Wonder had a great bit with a smashed watch for his nest of boxes routine. I THINK he attributed the idea to Jean Hugard. Basically he borrowed a watch to time himself while he held an auction. Wrapped it in a silk and place on a table. Of course, the first item for sale is the watch. Every bid he taps a gavel on the table, and when he shouts sold, smashes the watch and the whole table collapses. Funny stuff, especially if you have Max Maven sweep up the mess like he did.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Tommy Wonder's routine is excellent, but I've heard it's aswell very hard to build.

Have a look at the Collector's Workshop. They sell different kinds of smashed & restored watch routines.

http://www.vikingmagic.com

Good luck,

Oliver.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I think DCB is just looking for an idea to smash a watch. He says he has a bag full of identical watches. If you are using identical watches, you REALLY don't need to build Tommy's prop.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
"The Magic of Comedy" a booklet by Terry Herbet has a watch smashing routine.You won't need your Duplicate watches for this though.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I recall a routine where a mage put a borrowed watch into a looooooooooooon red silk stocking and swung it around and accidenetally whacked his table. Any more, I don't remember. But, it's a start.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I remember watching Tommy Wonder's routine and being blown away. Not only does it pack a big punch, but it's also funny.

Anyone know where it's available? I couldn't find it on L&L.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I used to run a crew of carpenters,one day at lunch I anounced that some magic would now be performed.I asked to borrow a watch from a fellow who had ben late for work 3 days in a row.I placed the watch on a stack of plywood covered it with a bandana and hit it about 5 times with my hammer. After a few magic waves of the hand the cloth was removed to reveal his watch totaly destroyed. I said whoops,guess I should have practiced more.I then said no big loss the thing didn't work anyway.After the rour died down I produced a new duplicate from my pocket.Best $12 I ever spent.

The old boy was never late again.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2009-07-21 11:50, Pete Biro wrote:
I recall a routine where a mage put a borrowed watch into a looooooooooooon red silk stocking and swung it around and accidenetally whacked his table. Any more, I don't remember. But, it's a start.

I think that's from Michael Ammar's book The Magic of Michael Ammar. I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it's in there...

Ken
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I remember a nice routine in a set of Robert Baxt's lecture notes.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The bit with the stocking was being done before Ammar was born.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2009-07-21 18:36, Pete Biro wrote:
The bit with the stocking was being done before Ammar was born.

I'm sure it was...but I think a smashed watch routine in Ammar's book used a stocking...

Ken
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Reminds me, I have a long nylon stocking somewhere that's about six feet long. Along with a 3 cup bra... used to talk about a strangely built girlfriend.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
The stocking idea I saw performed only recently, - gave me the idea. I'm thinking along the lines of a small pocket on the inside, in the manner of a change bag....

Three cup bra? What a BRILLIANT gag! That's NEXT on the list! Thanks, Pete.

Just checked out the Magic of Michael Ammar - there's nothing there covering the subject matter. BUT! Looking through this book - I'd forgotten what a great book it is. As they say - they don't make 'em like this any more.

Regards,

DCB
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
68 Posts

Profile of hpcman
I think that's from Michael Ammar's book The Magic of Michael Ammar. I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it's in there...

Ken
[/quote]

Its from the Ammar Topit book: Broken and restored Watch Page 102

Ben
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 21:36, hpcman wrote:

Ken

Its from the Ammar Topit book: Broken and restored Watch Page 102

Ben

[/quote]

Thanks Ben..you're right...I'll have to look it up when I get home...I remember it being pretty clever...

Ken
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Jack - I had a look at the smashed wristwatch effect - perhaps it's ok, but it's strictly a close-up item.

Thanks!

DCB
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
A variation of the swing around sock with a handkercheif or bandana was done by Mark Wilson on one of his things, can't remember if it was the old Video Course in Magic or if it was something from the Complete course in magic, something he taught it in, I remember thinking when I saw it "last time I saw that it was with a sock".
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I#ll take a quick look in the Mark Wilson book. I somehow ALWAYS forget to take a look at this great book. I think it's much under-rated.

I always associate it with "beginners" - but there's enough stuff in there to earn a living from.

Regards,

DCB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Looking For A Smashed Watch Routine.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL