The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My busking experience (4th week in) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
Well guys, I've had a blast busking. I've been doing it 3 days a week from usually 12-3, but that fluctuates, sometimes I'm only out there for less or more, depending on how crowded it is.

Each time I've gone out I haven't made less than 70. 70 seems to be my bottom number. I've ranged from 70 in 3 hours to 100 in 2 hours.

My show has changed immensely, has gotten EXTREMELY more structural, and I've noted where things had to be picked up and sped up, or where I could stretch things out longer. Spongeballs for instance with little kids works EXTREMELY well for me out here in San Diego, my crowd gets built QUICKLY when this is happening for some reason. It also gives lee way to a lot of joking and audience interaction so I can feel them out for lines in the end of my show.

Some shows I can feel I need to do Spongeballs, some filler card effects to draw more people in, my joker trick, and end with the TOD. Or other times I can go from Spongeballs right into the TOD, or somewhere in between the 2. It's been AWESOME.

I have DEFINETTLY noticed that I've grown as a performer and as a magician. I have to thank Jimmy Talksalot for spending time out here with me, letting me share a pitch with him occasionally, and his book is GREAT!!! BUY HIS BOOK RIGHT NOW, it's very very good filled with a lot of things I had never thought of before. I also have to thank Don Driver for continuing me interest in magic, showing me UNCONDITIONAL love and support. He is a great guy and has done A LOT for me.
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleeveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Don is a great guy. He also has a great DVD for the Svengali Pitch. I used it in New York at FAO Schwartz and sold more cards than they knew what to do with. I of course put my own twist on it, but Don Know his stuff.

Congrads on the busking!
I hope it keeps getting better!

-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am also three weeks into my busking career, and enjoying it. But I have not been as busy as you. My first day it rained. My second I got in two short shows, and got E50, which I was happy with - it rained again. Third day was after a festival, and every one was spent out. So I made E5. A wipeout. But last night I travelled to a town about an hour away to deliver a microphone. I did one show, threw down the hat, and made my petrol money, and enough over to buy a nice shirt. So definitely going in the right way.
My show is getting a lot tighter, and I have eliminated some routines, such as my Bank Night (I thought it would draw the crowd). Now I am drawing the crowd with simple card stuff, then doing a thumb-tip routine with a child, then a combination of tossed-out deck and invisible deck (with an ungaffed deck) then cards across with a pick pocket theme. I end by swallowing a balloon and making the crowd disappear, by throwing down the hat!
Guardian, keep up the good work. You've inspired me. I'll go out again.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
My eighth day today. First day was about 57 for about 4 hours Smile It´s gotten better and better and today I made 181 for 5 hours. Still nothing to brag about, but I don´t really care about the money. Hopefully it´s a sign that my show is developing in the right direction. I wish I hade Jimmy T. to coach me hands on, you lucky man! You gotta be doing a lot of things really right, Guardian. Good luck!

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 14:15, Hawkan wrote:
My eighth day today. First day was about 57 for about 4 hours Smile It´s gotten better and better and today I made 181 for 5 hours. Still nothing to brag about, but I don´t really care about the money. Hopefully it´s a sign that my show is developing in the right direction. I wish I hade Jimmy T. to coach me hands on, you lucky man! You gotta be doing a lot of things really right, Guardian. Good luck!

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:

You'd make about $250 every eight hours, which is a regular work day. That's pretty good money if you want to make it a full time thing.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I'm glad to see so many more magicians persuing street performing as a career

theres not that many of us magicians out there

I can honostly say I've been at it every day for 3 years full time now... and in that short period of time I've seen people come and go .. the thing about the street is if your serious about it, and put the time in, you get real good real fast .. but at first your gonna suck bad.. Just keep at it!

Jeff I know your gonna be really good, ... In 3 years you'll be looking back at yourself and you will be amazed at how far you've come .. Trust me!

GG
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 23:22, G.Gilbert wrote:
I'm glad to see so many more magicians persuing street performing as a career

theres not that many of us magicians out there

I can honostly say I've been at it every day for 3 years full time now... and in that short period of time I've seen people come and go .. the thing about the street is if your serious about it, and put the time in, you get real good real fast .. but at first your gonna suck bad.. Just keep at it!

Jeff I know your gonna be really good, ... In 3 years you'll be looking back at yourself and you will be amazed at how far you've come .. Trust me!

GG

Good to see people with the heart to stay on the street faithfuly. When I get out of high school I plan on busking three days a week, with the other four being private or corporate gigs.

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
This is me and my girlfriends second season busking. We live in upstate NY so the season is short here. We both love it. Still not making a ton of cash, but it's true...you get good fast.

Doing the same show 5-15 times in a day gives you more practical experience and polish than practicing in a mirror.

I may be wrong, but I feel that if you can do a street show and stop people in their tracks and make them stay and pay at the end...you can pretty much do a show anywhere. I could be wrong...but that's the way I feel.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I think I'm going to retire...just too busy to perform much anymore
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-25 08:22, The Great Zoobini wrote:
I think I'm going to retire...just too busy to perform much anymore

Busy doing what? Smile

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Sleeping...

Quote:
...theres not that many of us magicians out there

Boulder's been invaded by several magicians as of late...I wonder why? Smile
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My busking experience (4th week in) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL