The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Shattered (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
My Shattered just came in the mail.

I'm not going to post a review unless somebody requests one, but I think this is a good place to exchange ideas about a vary nifty product. Unfortunately, I haven't developed my ideas into complete routines yet.

Anybody know the story of bloody Mary? Of course you do! I was thinking about having the audience chant "Bloody Mary" five times and then having the mirror brake.

"Look at what you've done!"

You say to the audience as you repair the mirror magically and ask them never ever chant bloody Mary in front of a mirror again! "And just to make sure" you make the mirror vanish.

Side show master Todd Robbins had the idea of writing something on the mirror in that ghost glass stuff... I elaborated...

After the mirror vanishes and reappears in the cute little velvet bag, you can take it out "I think everything should be OK now."

When you breathe on the mirror a message from Bloody Mary appears on the mirror.

Please people elaborate on my ideas and share your own.

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
That reminds me of an effect I do every so often that also uses the Bloody Mary theme. It's probably already been thought of and done before, but I thought to do it on my own. I just took your basic "Ashes On Palm" effect and substituted fake blood for the ashes. I just talk about the Bloody Mary legend, and point out that nobody has ever had any physical proof of her existence, until one night. A young girl was chanting Bloody Mary into the mirror when suddenly, Mary's face appeared. Terrified, the girl turned to run away and something grabbed her hand as she fled, leaving the girl scratched by Bloody Mary herself. it's at that point that I have them open their hand. It gets a really strong reaction, mostly because I think people are reliving their own childhoods when they sat in front of a mirror waiting for the face to appear. The blood is just a good exclamation point.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
some cool stuff from snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/bloody.htm
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3011 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Personally, I'm more drawn to the use of mirrors in divination, aka scrying. I have combined this storyline with a pared-down routine for "Shattered" that eliminates the repetition of the supplied routine and better suits my deliberate magical approach.

I begin by talking about scrying as I pass out my special pocket mirror used for this activity. It is mirrored on both surfaces, so that one never sees the back of a mirror, which some consider a bad omen. I playfully ask the participant to see if she can see any glimpse of the future.

After she answers, I take it back, wipe it free of fingerprints, and talk about the other beliefs surrounding the use of mirrors -- for instance, that belief we've heard all our lives involving seven years of bad luck. That's when I slam the mirror against my ring finger and show that the mirror has now cracked on both surfaces.

As I explain that some believe this superstition stems from alchemy (it would take another seven years of combining the proper ingredients and performing the appropriate rituals before the alchemist could complete a new scrying mirror), on the words "new scrying mirror" I heal the cracks and show the mirror restored.

Next, I explain that a mirror of such value must be protected, which is why I have a velvet bag to keep it in. But there is another level of protection as well: it's been charmed to protect it from falling into the hands of someone wishing to use its power for ill purposes.

To demonstrate, I have somebody take my wand and lightly touch it to the velvet-bagged mirror while thinking only of the word "evil." At the touch of the wand, the bag collapses. It's inverted over the participant's hand, and only a trickle of salt pours out. "That's to throw over your shoulder to neutralize any bad luck from destroying the mirror." The bag is otherwise empty.

"If you would like to see that again, just ask me in another seven years."
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
R i c h T
View Profile
New user
U.K
18 Posts

Profile of R i c h T
Necromancer, I like that a lot.

I think the combination of superstition and proposed fact is very strong.
That's the whole problem with science. You've got a bunch of empiricists trying to describe things of unimaginable wonder. - Calvin (& Hobbes)
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
400 Posts

Profile of Jay
Neil:

Great work! I really like your thinking on this. I have only been involved with magic for a little less than 2 years, and I am just learning to think creatively and apply other ideas into existing routines. I have been practicing "Shattered" as it was written, since I got it, and never really thought about modifying it. Now, I think I will go and try to write some juicy patter for it. The possibilities are boundless, I would guess!

Jay Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3011 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I'm glad you like it.

One of the most rewarding parts of performing magic, in my opinion, is taking an effect and making it your own.

In this instance, the flashy, fast-paced routine that typifies most paddle effects just didn't feel right to me, so I slowed down the action and kept it free of repetition (after all, if you've broken and restored it once, does it really get any more interesting if you do it again?).

As for the ending, I just didn't see a decent motivator for doing the smashed-mirror finish: if I care enough about the mirror to mend it after cracking it, then why would I proceed to then break it into a bunch of jagged pieces? The protective charm-induced disintegration into a pile of salt was the best I could come up with (it actually started out as silver glitter, but salt was better -- it's a legitimate alchemical element, after all; plus, it allows me to tap into another superstition that an audience can relate to).

This is the way that works for me. What works for you can (and probably should) be different. Have fun!
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Shattered (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL