The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Proper Gauge Of Sheet Metal For Base (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I've been experimenting with sheet metal for the bottom of a base, and was wondering what gauge thickness other people have used?

Thanks.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
It will of course depend on what kind of support requirements you have.

I've done dollhouse bases for small assistants with unbelievable thin gauge metals.

For someone more gravitationally challenged like myself, I might go as thick as 10 gauge for peace of mind.

A greater issue to deal with is to be sure the frame which the sheet metal is attached to is capable of handling the pulling stress. Don't expect a 2 foot by 5 foot box made of 1 by 8 pine (or worse, plywood) with a sheet metal bottom to support a heavy load very well when it's on legs.

If you don't use enough fasteners, or they are too small, you are at risk of them shearing the heads off as well.

Seriously, investing $50 in some wood, sheet metal, and fasteners will give you the real answers you need on proper sizes for your various load needs.

--- Guy
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
We have used 16 gauge metal in bases and stairs. It's pretty strong and sturdy. So there really is no droop in the metal when someone is in the load chamber.

Personally I prefer sheet metal over wood and fiberglass.

It's also a lot easier to work with than 10 gauge, or so I have been told. Just remember the thicker you go the harder it is to work with. And the heavier the prop becomes.

Good luck to ya'

Mike
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I always use aluminum sheeting, usually 16 ga. I have access to a local sheet metal shop. I tell them the exact size, and they cut it. Since it's aluminum, I can always cut it easiy with my table saw w/carbide blade if I need any fine tuning! This also keeps the final weight down.

Jack
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I used 16 gauge aluminum for the dollhouse bases I've made, and usually use 16 ga. steel for larger base areas.

I have concerns about using the same gauge for the over 200 lb crowd, though.

Jack - I usually won't attach fasteners to aluminum sheet bases any closer than 0.5" from the edge - I have unproven concerns about the aluminum tearing out if I go any closer to the edge. Do you go any closer to the edge with your bases, and if so, what's your experience?

--- Guy
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Guy; I go 3/8" to 1/2" from the edge. If you place the screws every 4-6" you displace the load over the area well enough that there should be no problem.
I once saw a waterbed supported by EMPTY dixie cups, but they were all touching each other, thereby displacing the weight....same concept.

Jack
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Thanks, Jack.

I usually secure bases on 4" marks at 0.5" to 0.625" from the edge, so it sounds like I'm on the same page, but can work a little closer to the edge if the need arises.

--- Guy
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to my inquiry. I have built bases in the past using sheet metal, and my latest "experiments" have just been to see what others are using, and the thinnest material possible.

Again, thanks to everyone, your comments have already been put to good use!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Proper Gauge Of Sheet Metal For Base (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL