The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Knots-Off Silk (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Two questions. First, does anyone know who to give credit to for this effect? I was just wondering who came up with the original routine? Second. who gets credit for the blendo version of the trick?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe in all cases, it generally credited to Pavel.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Richard,

I believe you are right about it being Pavel,
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I actually think that Pavel credited (Jiri) Trinka with the effect back in the late 60's or early 70's.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Thanks so much. I do the blendo version and I just wanted to know who to give the credit to. It's a great effect and always gets a great response.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Knots-Off Silk is a great trick that can be used alone or as an intro to other tricks in a full routine.

Contrary to common belief, having holes in the silk was not part of the original trick and still is seldom used by bird workers. Cutting different shaped holes is also an option. Hearts and company logos are frequently seen being used by commercial acts.

When buying a Knots-Off Silk, be aware that there are two distinctively differ types out there. One style only requires one hand to operate and the other style requires that both hands be used. (Money is not the difference.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- It is also available in many other colors besides red.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Thanks again Bob, but aside from just knowing who originated an effect, is there a place on the web or else where you can research and find out such information?

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 4:40am
I have never seen the one hand version. I use the two hand blendo version, I would think that it would look more realistic when you tie the knot in the silk and then remove it. Then displaying the silk with the holes in it and then filling them with three different colors. I had the blendo special made(by Rosie Jepson dyed in the silk and color fast)so I didn't have to sew the different colors in the holes in the silk. It really looks great. I am still amazed at the response that you get when you do a Blendo effect.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Both versions take both hands to tie the knot.

The one-hand version lets the fake untie the false knot visually and will slide down the silk and fall off under your control (with the music in my case) without being touched again. There can even be a sound when the fallen knot hits the floor. None of this is possible with the foam ponytail holder fake knots used in the two-hand version.

Among other things, I don't like covering up the knot from the audience repeatedly with my hand as the two-hand method and props require. To me it looks fake! Why is he doing this over and over? Is his hand actually empty? Is the knot actually AROUND the silk?

Holding the silk by ONLY the top corner as the knot moves down and falls off is simply more magical to me than constantly crossing my body with my other hand to move the "knot".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I use the 36" size on stage. After the knots have fallen off, I produce a dove and then vanish the silk in a bare hand vanish. Catch me in a lecture sometime where I teach it. This way I can easily change my colors too so I don't get confusion with curtain colors or my costume. (And NEVER forget your sponsor's colors!)
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
50 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2009, JNeal wrote:
I actually think that Pavel credited (Jiri) Trinka with the effect back in the late 6 0's or early 70's.

Adair's Encyclopaedia of Dove Magic Vol. 4 published in 1975 credited Milo Trnka with Knots Off Silk which was marketed by Supreme, and the holes in the silk finale to Pavel. (Pp 107)

The lack of a middle vowel in the last name made me wonder if it was typo but miracle factory's Magic Circle Jubilee DVD lists. a Milo Trnka on it.
Nowlin Craver
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2009, Bob Sanders wrote:
Knots-Off Silk is a great trick that can be used alone or as an intro to other tricks in a full routine.

Contrary to common belief, having holes in the silk was not part of the original trick and still is seldom used by bird workers. Cutting different shaped holes is also an option. Hearts and company logos are frequently seen being used by commercial acts.

When buying a Knots-Off Silk, be aware that there are two distinctively differ types out there. One style only requires one hand to operate and the other style requires that both hands be used. (Money is not the difference.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- It is also available in many other colors besides red.

But Bob! (see last sentence above) Are you SURE that if's OK to use another color silk? (hee hee)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The one I am currently using is turquoise!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
OK Bob... I have your set. How the heck do you do it one handed??? I can barley manage it with two hands.... lol
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In all fairness, it does take both hands to tie the knot. But from there only one hand in needed. (My other hand is busy hunting my dove loop!)

Are you tying the knot too tight? You will get different results pulling from the top or bottom!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Not for me it is holding all the knots and letting go of just one at a time. If I had three solid rings verses 3 flexible knots it would probably be a lot easier, but then again that is what practice if for... as it is I am only using two until I get it down... I also am one of those guys that have a hard time following written instructions, watching a video or being shown in person is much much better.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Catch me at a lecture or magic convention some time and I'll show you how easy it can be.

My old friend Pavel helped me make a few changes that make it easier to do with just one hand.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Bob If you are ever in the NE I will be there....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have a daughter who lives in Wyoming. It could happen!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Yea I could see coming from Wyoming to NY on your way back home:) I'll pencil you in.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Greg - NE - Nebraska or New England?
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
The North East... Currently living in Central NY. I can see how Bob thought I meant Nebraska.... I am from the South so if Bob is really lucky maybe one day I will move next door to him Smile LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Knots-Off Silk (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL