The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Real magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
John Carney discovered this and shared it on his facebook page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMgid4rkzU&feature=related
and she has many!!!

I find her talent amazing, truly magical.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Absolutely brilliant

Totally captivated by her work

Thanks for sharing
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Chalk talk?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Very nice!

Artistic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-07-25 11:01, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Chalk talk?

Kind of: sand design. There is another reminder in her art. Entertainment can be dramatic without being boring.
Comedy is great, but dramaturgy is not less interesting contrary to a widely spread belief in our time.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Wow!!!
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
She really looked like a conjurer as they panned out to see her sprinkle-- like a beautiful mad composer. That is truly amazing.

Lawrence O, I totally agree.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

What specifically about the piece was magic in your opinion?

Impressive performance piece - no argument here.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
That blond judge was bored stiff, she did everything but yawn.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
nicd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
164 Posts

Profile of nicd
That was one of the most artistic things I have seen in a long time.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9634 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-07-26 00:58, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

The sense of "awe and wonder" appreciated by a spectator here may be identical
to that coaxed by a magic effect. This 'sense of magic' within a spectator can be caressed as much by artistic movements of the hand as using sleights in a trick. The production of an illusion of a picture from nothing is as magical as spliting one coin into two in the eyes of the audience; and the 'sense of loss' when the illusion is destroyed is more impactful than vanishing a coin.

She uses actual Woofle Dust instead of the lint in your pocket. Besides, she is nice to watch, which is magical enough.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:

Productions, vanishes, and transformations -- with a sense of drama and purpose, the very stuff of life itself.

Dust you are and to dust you shall return!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Good question Jonathan. I thought the piece was quite magical, but in the generic sense like Murat's performance. It seemed to ask for less suspension of disbelief than Murat's work, bringing it closer to magic craft in my opinion. However, as an obvious display of skill, it moved further away again.

A passionate, touching, skillful, and clever piece of performance art, by a beautiful woman.
Michael Kamen
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9634 Posts

Profile of funsway
I watches this again and think were are being cheated by the limitations of video. The projection scree allows her to waok on flat table, and the audience can see both her 'face-on' wiht he scren behind. Thus I'll bet her swaying motions punctuated by her hair sweep would look like she is conducing an orchestra. We are only given an oblique view and therefor miss some of the magic.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:

I agree that it is at the border of our magic art but not more than escapology or ventriloquism.

There is however no real explanation to the emotions we feel when we get such an ephemeral effect. She is way too young to be so technically gifted: somehow this is part of the mystery.

The changes in the images include a part of surprise, which make it more than just a static painting, also take part in the magic.

... but I get your point.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Sand design is a great symbol for performance art--and in the face of eternity, a great symbol for all art.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool. It looks like one those new cool touch screens and I thought it was when I first saw it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Patr!ck
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Patr!ck
Wow, I've seen this the first time...
That's wonderfull!!!
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
This is 'magical' in one sense. But the magic that we do is a secret based art. In this performance, as is the case with a juggling act or card flourishes, everything is exposed. In magic there is the world that you see and then there is the hidden world. It is the performer's job to keep it hidden. This is partly what makes our job so difficult. We can spend endless hours in mastering a secret move and how to conceal it, and it will never be seen.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-16 14:13, Laurent van Trigt wrote:
This is 'magical' in one sense. ...

If you meant strictly in Alister Crowley's sense that the performer's actions intentionally elicit emotions in the audience I'd agree. But then if the intended emotions where otherwise - how about just showing off puppies and finishing by arranging them into a pyramid? Awwww cute! Everybody loves puppies!

Perhaps we can outgrow this conflation of appeal to sentiments by way of anchors to previous experience and our craft which is about appealing to specific self-reflective sentiment, that of catching oneself believing a thing we already know to be untrue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Real magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL