The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » August Issue Magic Mag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3210 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Already received the August issue of Magic magazine. A nice surprise to come home and keep finding Magic Mag in the mailbox over a week before the next month even hits! For those still on the fence, get off and subscribe to this.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I got mine today. It's great so far.
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Talk About Tricks: Simon Aronson stuff is killer. Playing w/ Double Vision right now. Not quite at performance speed yet, but won't take long.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1617 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Can you describe briefly the Aronson effects?
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of JayF
The two Aronson effects are both FASDIU, and are also both practically self-working. I learned both of them this evening, though I'll want to run through them a few more times before showing them to anyone.

The first one, "Gimme Five" is a version of Doc Daley's Blindfold Poker Deal. In it, five hands of poker are dealt. Four spectators mentally select a card from each of their poker hands. After assembling and shuffling the deck, you again deal out five hands. You show that you have dealt the four mentally selected cards and your own "lucky card" to your hand!

The second one is called "Double Vision." Here is how it is described in the magazine: "The performer writes a prediction, and from a shuffled deck, a spectator then selects two cards, using a random cut and a random number. The performer has correctly predicted both cards."

There is also a discussion of how Aronson changed the Si Stebbins stack to "hide" the CHaSeD order. Aronson's idea can be applied to other stacks as well. I have NOT learned this yet, though I do plan to play around with it a bit.

On a different matter, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the review of "The Classic Magic of Micheal Vincent" DVD Set by Jason England. This DVD set got an excellent review here on the Café by none other than Darwin Ortiz. Jason England singles out Vincent's multiple selection routine and says that he thinks that Vincent's routine is too much like Ricky Jay's multiple selection routine.

I haven't seen the DVD's, so I'm not sure what to say about the issue. Darwin Ortiz didn't seem to find fault with Vincent's multiple selection routine (at least, I don't remember him mentioning anything negative about it). Just curious about what other people think . . .

Jay
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1617 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Thanks for posting that. I haven't picked up this month's issue yet and was curious what the Aronson effects were. Josh's column is generally very strong and I often wish there were more comments on these boards about the effects from people who have worked on them. Sometimes it's easy to not properly consider stuff after just reading it in the mag.

Re Vincent's disks, I heard that the review was negative but didn't know why, so thanks for that as well. I have the set and think it's very good. I haven't compared Vincent's multiple selection routine to Jay's, which I'm sure is on YouTube somewhere, but the same criticism came up in a review on the U.K. site, Magic Bunny: http://www.magicbunny.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44853. On the set Vincent, who is generally pretty scrupulous about crediting, cites Comte, Houdin, Royal Road, Malini, Vernon, Marlo, Fechter, Ortiz, Wakeman, Eason and Cummins (but not Jay) for this effect.

It sounds like this criticism is similar to the one leveled at another performer a couple of years ago who did a Knight's Tour in his show that was similar to Jay's. Both performers have the same source material but one is more prominent in his presentation of the trick and thus has perhaps "reclaimed it." I'll have to read the review for the details.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
421 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Just curious, are the national conventions (IBM & SAM) reported in this issue?
majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
Peter, from what I've seen there is only cursory coverage of the IBM convention and no coverage of the SAM (though I suspect publication happened before the SAM was over.) The brief paragraph gives just a few highlights of the convention. I'm guessing that you are interested in the coverage of the contests, but the only awards mentioned were the People's Choice Award in stage and the Karrell Fox Comedy Award. As I was the junior close-up winner, and had the honor of performing in the Gold Cups Finals, I was also quite interested in seeing how complete the contest coverage was!

By the way, Peter, congratulations on your award! I must say that the sequence at the end of your act, with the different colored billiard balls transforming to complete your costume, is simply beautiful. I also hear you took first at SAM, so congratulations again!

Micah
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
421 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Thanks Micah. Congrats to you too.

I did not see Stan or anyone representing Magic at the convention so I was curious.
Mark Jones
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Mark Jones
How about the article about the islands, was it good? Any discount coupon included? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » August Issue Magic Mag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL