The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Digital camera - best picture resolution for upload (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Ha! The light tunnel is cracking me up! There is NO WAY I am doing that.
I've heard that common hair spray can be used to dull the glare off of reflective surfaces too, but I'm not so sure that is what I really want to do...
I just shot the RNT Zombie Ball that has a mirror finish on the ball and it's literally shooting a spherical mirror. The lite cube keeps ME out of the shot, but the shot ends up being just a big reflection of the inside of the box, in the ball.
I've tried black backgrounds and white backgrounds and I think the black is worse, it reflects on the sides of the cups and make them appear narrower.
Ultimately, I'm just going to take as good a picture as I can and just ignore all the stuff in the reflection. I can't do anything about it and I want a true photo representation of the product.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 13:53, DDecae wrote:
I went with Table Top Studios (http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/index.html). Tab, they have a 55" tent.

Thanks for the link. Ive had my 36" for years. I used it to shoot all my chip stuff, Hofzinser's Hand and other pictures. Id set it up in my sun room and go with natural light.

It has camera lens ports all around so I can shoot and stay out of the reflections.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
My tent size looks to be about 24" square.....way too small!

Re : the shiny glare DeDecae was talking about. I was having this problem yesterday trying to photograph some of my custom-engraved Okito boxes (highly polished brass) . For the life of me couldn't get the glare out............until I turned the flash function off........and then they came out perfectly!

Fortasse
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 15:16, fortasse wrote:
My tent size looks to be about 24" square.....way too small!

Re : the shiny glare DeDecae was talking about. I was having this problem yesterday trying to photograph some of my custom-engraved Okito boxes (highly polished brass) . For the life of me couldn't get the glare out............until I turned the flash function off........and then they came out perfectly!

Glad to hear you're shooting your Okito boxes. Im looking forward to seeing them if you post them online somewhere.

-=tab
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Tabman : Will do as soon as I'm done but may take a day or so.

Fortasse.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
That's great. I'll look forward to it!! Smile

-=tabman

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Try this:

Put a piece of black cardboard at both sides of the shiny object, i.e. at the walls of the light tent. Leave the background white. Use one or two lamps directly above the light tent. If you have softboxes, that's even better.

Shoot from the front, using aperture priority. Set your ISO to 1000. Set your aperture at somewhere from f 15 to f 22.

The reflection of the black surfaces on the sides of the objects may separate them from the white background.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Thanks Bill, I'll give that a try. I'm up for any kind of variation that results in a better picture. I've seen some photography of silver done that just looks great. Some photogs are putting black strips just outside the shot for contrasting reflections and such. I have no idea how they are keeping their own reflection (or the camera) out of the shot though. Perhaps it is just the angle of the subject, which doesn't help me as I'm shooting cylinders/cones/spheres.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 12:21, DDecae wrote:
I'm shooting cylinders/cones/spheres.

Sounds like a day at photography school!! Smile

And sounds like fun too. Are these going up on your website??

-=tabman

Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Tabman, yes. I was referring to the cups. I'm just saying that the cup shapes are cylindrical or conical, the Zombie Ball is a sphere, so there's no flat surface that you can angle away from yourself to prevent a straight on reflection.
As an aside:
The plater I use calls them "cones", which is a good point of view, because the "tip" of a cone gets attention, whereas the "bottom" of a "cup" would be mostly ignored. One of the first guys I took a batch of cups to for mirror polishing delivered the cups with a bunch of fine scratches around the saddle. I found out that they looked at the product as just cups and stored them mouth up (siding them around on boards) and didn't really pay enough attention to what they considered the "bottom" of the cup. Big mistake for them. But, only to a magician, is the bottom of a cup the top, and the mouth of the cup the bottom! Really, though, he should have known better, his shop used to polish the JES cup when they were made in Ohio back before they were made by RNT.

Don
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 13:08, DDecae wrote:...The plater I use calls them "cones", which is a good point of view, because the "tip" of a cone gets attention, whereas the "bottom" of a "cup" would be mostly ignored.

That's some interesting inside information into the cup world. I never did much with metal outside just some simple brass work and solder. Please let us know when the pics are up at your site. I hope they work great for you.

-=tabman

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you, Bill. You've done it again.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
This is a quickie guys as I have to leave for the weekend but check this out....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxDG3WDT7Kw

Yes it's a guy photographing a coffee maker BUT he talks about reflective metal and the solutions available to diminish reflections and highlights and embellishing curves....

Hope this helps...

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This has some good information in it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
That's a great video, Bri. I found this one by the same guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoY-cyxDMEk
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Richard, tht's even better! Thanks!
Bri
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Those Youtube clips are great, very informative. If only I could find the plate for my tripod!!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Digital camera - best picture resolution for upload (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL