The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Thin beads on cups... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I just reviewed a set of Supreme Dumpy Cups (that's what they were sold to me as) and the beads (and guage copper they are spun from) are very thin.

This causes them to be quite wobbly when stacked and can cause them to stick together when working. As they are all like this I am assuming that it is not one of the the cups which is out of shape etc.

Does anyone else have a set of these cups that can shed a little light on this please? I am making the assumption that they are all like this but that may not be the case.

There are pics here: http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Supreme-Dumpy-Cups.html

Thanks,
Bri
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hey Bri… not a very attractive name (Supreme Dumpy Cups) for a set of Cups, but I found them attractive just the same. I wonder how many such Cups were made and when.

Thanks,
Bruce
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Lol, I never thought of that! Not a great name no! Perhaps someone could shed some lighton them, I know nothing other than that's what they were sold to me as....
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Nice cups, thanks for the review/pics!

They remind me of the foxy 2.V's that RNT2 put out, but with a slightly wider saddle...
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

They do have that feel about them mate yeah... They do have a very wide mouth. They're unusual cups that's for sure...
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Either way I'm quite taken with them!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wonder about these. They are almost the same height and saddle as the Stanley cups, but the mouth size is much larger. The originals were spun by Burtini. I don't know who did the work for Supreme. You might try contacting Ian Adair. He is still among the living and he is also still performing.

The mouth beads look the same as on the Stanley cups. So I think the wobble is introduced from some other factor.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Thanks Bill, I'll see if I can contact Ian. I will dig out my Stanley cups and compare them too.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

As promised... here are some comparison pics...
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Supreme......son.html
Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That wobble is because of the taper of the top shoulder bead. There isn't anything firm for the cup to sit on. Definitely not Burtini's work!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

As well as the taper Bill, the mouth bead actually covers the top bead sometimes, it's almost like a combination of the wrong size opening and the shoulder bead.

The mystery deepens! I will get around to getting the other mystery combo cups I have and comparing those too, they look similar to an unidentified set in the museum but are larger, I have a feeling they may be spun by the same person.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wonder who the "mystery spinner" might be.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
They're interesting cups - thanks for posting the pics.

If memory serves, I believe that Harry Stanley advertised two different types of cup at the time he was selling the cups comemorating Vernon's tour of the UK in the 50's. There were the standard cups and another set, though I've never managed to track a set of these down. The ads showed a picture of the Vernon cups, but not the others. However, I believe the second type of cup was advertised as being smaller (and not larger) than the Vernon cups. I'll see if I can dig out the magazine ad - it's probably in The Gen.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Thanks Richard, this is interesting. They are certainly the same guage and they seem a little odd having a smallish attic space but very large mouth. I'll dig out the other combo set I have later in the week and take some comparison pics.

Bri
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Don asked me how these compare to the Foxy 2.5's so I took a few pics. The Foxy 2.5's have a thicker guage metal and a smaller internal mouth diameter. In addition to this the beads are better on the 2.5's.

I put a few extra pics up here in case anyone else was interested in the comparison:

Bri
Etienne M.
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
75 Posts

Profile of Etienne M.
Bri,

Great pics but the last one is a bad link.

Floyd
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

-- Albert Einstein
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Ya, you can't put a comma or the dot in 2.5 in the URL.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Weirdly, the link on your web page (http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Comparisons.html) to this page works, and the URL is the same as you posted. The prohibited characters are probably URL encoded in your link on the web page.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Bah I 'ates compuers!

Should be fixed now I hope...

Bri
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Thin beads on cups... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL