The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Miss Cleo in trouble again... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Starkey
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
180 Posts

Profile of Eric Starkey
From CourtTV.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here's one reason television soothsayer Miss Cleo's Jamaican accent might seem a bit off: The shaman, real name Youree Dell Harris, is from California, not the Caribbean. According to a birth certificate released Thursday by the Florida Attorney General's office, the purported shaman was born in the Los Angeles County Hospital on Aug. 13, 1962.

"The company made a special effort to tell people that she is a master shaman from Jamaica," said David Aronberg, an assistant attorney general in Florida. "We wanted her birth certificate from the beginning." The certificate, which the Los Angeles clerk's office sent to Florida after authorities there filed a broad suit against Harris and the company that employs her, Fort Lauderdale-based Access Resource Services (ARS), shows that Harris' parents are a Californian woman, Alisa Hopis, and Texan David Harris.

The document released Thursday puts an end to what had become a crusade to unveil the origin of the television psychic, who claimed to be descended from a line of Jamaican shamans.

One rumor placed her in Seattle as a playwright before her her Cleo gig. Another placed her in the cast of the 1980s crime drama, Miami Vice (Michael Paul Thomas, a star of the series, was a spokesperson for ARS until 1998 and is currently suing its owners, Larry Feder and Peter Stolz). But while rumors swirled, Harris and ARS remained tight-lipped about her origins.

As of Thursday evening, the company's website still claimed, "...she's become a household name simply by the sheer force of her psychic gifts, which she's honed since she was a little girl in the Caribbean. Born in the Trelawny section of Jamaica, Miss Cleo says she noticed at very young age that she had unique talents."

A lawyer representing the psychic could not be reached for comment Thursday.

> CourtTV.com's Investigation

Since a Courttv.com investigation in January found that many of the psychics who staff the psychic hotline, which charges just under $5 per minute, use scripts instead of performing actual tarot card readings, the troubles for the shaman and ARS have piled up.

In February, the Federal Trade Commission charged ARS with consumer violations ranging from misleading advertising to overly aggressive collection efforts.

Florida was the eighth state to move against Feder and Stolz, who launched the Mind and Spirit psychic network in 1999 but had been running other telephone psychic operations since 1993.

The state originally held ARS to a series of agreements in which the company agreed to a number of stipulations, including that it change its advertising to make it more clear that callers would not speak directly to Miss Cleo.

A study by the New York State Consumer Protection Board reported that Feder and Stolz's business brings in as much as $400 million annually.

Florida also obtained "most favored state" status, which means that ARS would be held to clauses resulting from lawsuits in other states as well.

But ARS did not abide by the deal, which was one reason the state sued, Aronberg said.

More answers about Miss Cleo's origins could emerge when the Florida attorney general's office talks to the psychic herself. Aronberg said his office is scheduled to depose the psychic on March 28, but that the date could change since both Harris and ARS received extensions to respond to the original suit.

CourtTV.com's special report
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
And I see from my TV that the chief antagonist in all this is the IRS cos she took half a mil in money from someone,

Looks like an Al Capone ending for Cleo. Why am I chuckling...?
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
What will I ever do with my Saturday nights now? Smile Bye bye Cleo!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
This is a topic related for a specific location I guess. Honestly, this is the only post I do not understand anything. Is there anybody kind enough to tell me what is going on ? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Miss Cleo is on many TV channels, advertising, telling people to call her and she will tell all. She charges $5.00 a minute and many believers are being ripped off of their life savings or something like that.

She is a fake and as been a topic for many jokes, but she still in pitching her fakery every day.
Dennis Michael
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
She claims to be a "shaman"? From the Caribbean?

She doesn't LOOK Mongolian....
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
She should have seen it coming....

It had to be said.

:pepper:
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I saw it coming...

:devilish:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Ms Cleo, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
I'm even surprised it even sustained that long. As P.T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born...."
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Unfortunately, they keep coming back like bad pennies. How many of you remember "The Physic Network."
Barnum was right about suckers. Who knows how many lives they screw up while making their fortunes. Congress needs to act...or start their own Physic show. We could use the money Smile
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

"It is our moral obligation to separate suckers from their money."

That Creepy Magician
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I saw it coming too. I'm surprised she stayed on the air as long as she did!
There is some new pyschic on the air now. It's a shame that they'll never learn..Smile
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Quote:
There is some new pyschic on the air now.

Darn! That means they didn't like my application. Smile
That Creepy Magician
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Philemon,
Would you like a late afternoon psychic show on after Oprah?

ps. how do you get the balls to float around your ears if that's not a rude question?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Quote:
Would you like a late afternoon psychic show on after Oprah?

Sure... You happen to know an interested executive producer?

Quote:
ps. how do you get the balls to float around your ears if that's not a rude question?

Force of will obtained through years of practice and self-denial.

That Creepy Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Miss Cleo in trouble again... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL