The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ethics Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 23:56, NurseRob wrote:
I do apologize Skip if I got over expressive there, not my intent to offend. the point could have been made without the heat. A kinder clearer head may have said judge not lest ye be judged, and left it with something about doing unto others...but I got carried away..sorry.

Appreciated, accepted and returned. Smile That kinder, clearer head of yours is spot on correct...as usual. So many excellent points were posted here for both sides of this discussion. Would have been far more instructive if folks had stuck to those points without the vitriolic personal attacks and name calling. But, such is life in the anonymous forum. Smile Thanks, Rob.

Quote:
Whit Hayden wrote: I am sorry that the collegiality of magic has diminished so much that people feel no need to respect the feelings or care about the opinions of others in their own field. It is this breakdown in the feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood that is the cause of many of the problems in magic today.

Thank you for writing that, Whit. This is precisely the condition those of us who are active in youth programs like M.Y.I. and S.Y.M. are trying to reverse. Reawaken the pride in our art through education. Become a mentor. Be the example.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say that I believe one reason for the breakdown is the fact that magic has been a "commodity" for a while now. The whole "mentor system" has for all intents and purposes vanished from the landscape.

Men like Vernon, Eddie Fecter, Schulien, and MANY others who drew people to them because of their love for our art and were able to give that back to the community they loved so much are not with us any more.

It is all about the next trick, book or big thing today. When this happens and you take the humanity out of something, well then as an art form we reap what we sow.

Quote:
Thank you for writing that, Whit. This is precisely the condition those of us who are active in youth programs like M.Y.I. and S.Y.M. are trying to reverse. Reawaken the pride in our art through education. Become a mentor. Be the example.

We have done this with SPECTACULAR results.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ethics Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL