The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Street Performance- My new SJ routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
This was the first performance of my new SJ routine made for street performing.
Have a look- Comments welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHAJk3-kcSk
Gwyd
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
Looks like it's so much fun!!! I love the fact of getting the kids involved. Really invites more crowd participation and gets more spectators invested in the performance, not just the escape.

Great job.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Very entertaining, love it!
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Way cool!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Awesome!
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I got a comment in another section of the forums that the SJ should stand on its own.
Any thoughts on this?
I know it can stand on its own as I have done it many times as such. For this I wanted to go in a sillier direction for broader appeal.
Have I indeed lessened the effect?
Gwyd
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
For busking, it was brilliant.
The idea is to:
1) Draw a crowd and get them involved;
2) Entertain them and make them like you and;
3) Inspire them to tip.

It appears you achieved all three.
Very well done.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
An awful lot of street workers are doing the SJ. This must inform the speckies that if a lot of oeople can do it, its not that dificult to do so as such its loseing its value.

I used the TH Belt + Chains and multiple locks on the streets many times. This put an angle on it and was recieved very well. Another busker saw me working this in Bath, pinched the idea and still doing it today.

If your working the hat you have to have something unique to you,,,go see how many street magicians are doing c & b, now see how many end with fruit and Melon. Amazing when you consider how many tricks there are to choose from !

The SJ will always be a great escape but like the loop and chains, is being done to death.

Just my view.

Ken.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I am lucky as there are very few street performers in my area that do anything besides strumming a guitar. I am the only one within a 100 mile radius that actually does SJ on the streets (Or a con man act or sideshow)
There are some advantages to geographical isolation.
I could do a cups and balls routine out there, and no one would have seen that either.
Valid point however Ken...When We travel, I might want to leave this one in the car.
We'll see.
Gwyd
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 16:07, gsidhe wrote:
I got a comment in another section of the forums that the SJ should stand on its own.
Any thoughts on this?
I know it can stand on its own as I have done it many times as such. For this I wanted to go in a sillier direction for broader appeal.
Have I indeed lessened the effect?
Gwyd
I came a little late to this discussion, because, as you know, I spend most of my time in the "Believe It or Not" section, but I have to say that that is a very. . .narrow and uncreative point of view.

Of course SJ can stand on its own--"should" stand on its own tho? Why? If the escape should stand on its own, then no one should ever have added chains, inversion, submersion, a time limit or an other element that augments the escape.

The purpose of any performance should be to entertain the audience, not inflate the ego of the performer. And no advance or innovation in entertainment has ever taken place by believing that things "should" be a certain way.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Street Performance- My new SJ routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL