The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Greg Wilson's Pointless (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 00:21, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 00:42, Acecardician wrote:
I have NOTHING against Greg. I met him in lecture and he is great. I'm just wondering about this.
ACE

Gregory Wilson did not come up with this idea actually. I believe someone mentioned that he showed the idea to Greg at a lecture. Greg's just marketing it under his "banner."

Christian Grisier said he came up with it in 2005, and I believe him, I am sure it is a mater of independent creation, I just wanted on the record that his has been marketed in the past(1995)by C. J. Hiatt. I don't think it is available anymore.
A google search had one reference to C.J.'s Recap in a list of pen tricks.
A google search also shows a magician by the same name in Orlanda,Florida, which is the same address on the 1995 Recap.

There were not DVD instructions in the 90's when you bought tricks, but written instructions. I'm sure Greg did a great job putting his twists and personality into this. It is entertaining just watching him. I watch his "ON The Spot" DVD's not so much to learn but to be entertained.

ACE
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Any news on if this will be available from a UK distributor?

Cheers,
David.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I will probably pick one of these up, although it is far from a new idea! The name Recap that Acecardician mentioned sure sounds familiar as I had one of these back in the early to mid 90's, maybe still do somewhere around here -- but haven't seen it for years. It was a good trick back then and I have wanted to pick up another one for years. I'm afraid that the gimmick uses a method all too familiar rather than the one the previous trick used, which I would much prefer. If anyone has one and knows both, I would appreciate a PM to let me know if they are the same or different. I don't care to know the method for the gimmick, just if they are the same.

Thanks,

Robert
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1149 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'm trying to figure out what all the fanfair is about. Don't get me wrong, I like Gregory Wilson's stuff a lot (Ring Leader is one of my most favorite routines), and I mean no disrespect, but this trick doesn't seem all that earth-shattering to me. This is just an alternate handling using an old and existing gimmick. Is there something else I'm missing?
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
266 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
Quote:
On 2009-09-11 08:05, Corbett wrote:
this trick doesn't seem all that earth-shattering to me.

Hey Corbett
With all due respect, I'm not bashing you I'm just stating my opinion. You said "TO ME" this effect doesn't have to be earth-shattering to you. It only have to be earth-shattering to the spectators. When I first looked at the gimmick I was like WTF nothing new. I watched the DVD and was blown away by the spectators reactions, this really kills them. I like the fact that the pen is really well made, anytime they want to see the pen you can hand it to them. I think this effect is awesome and kills every time I do it.

I don't know why I'm trying to convince people that this is awesome. I should just keep it to myself.

Just my opinion
Jeremy
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1149 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I can appreciate other opinions. I guess $40 just seems a bit much for an upgraded pen thru gimmick. IMHO.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-09-11 13:11, Corbett wrote:
I can appreciate other opinions. I guess $40 just seems a bit much for an upgraded pen thru gimmick. IMHO.

Supposedly it can't be used for that effect.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
davidpeters
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of davidpeters
Murphy's has this in stock you will be able to buy this at the finest of dealers world wide! Just ask your dealer for it.
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
I have been interested in magic with bic pens for years now and purchased Wilson's notes "Unpacked" with a trick called Pre-Cap in it. It basically explains the exact same effect as Pointless and what the gimmick is but without photos.
Anyone else have these notes?
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
One of my really good friends performed this for me last night...I was floored!! I had no idea, looks great!!!

Charlie
Rafael The Master Hypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
South East Asia
490 Posts

Profile of Rafael The Master Hypnotist
The diffcult part of performing this effect is finding the right Emotional Hook, since without one, this POINTLESS will become trully POINTLESS
The BIGEST Room in the world is the Room for Improvement
MLDupree
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MLDupree
Great reviews I love Gregory Wilson's products I will be placing my order ASAP. Thanks Christian for the idea and routines.
iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
No offense here, but I find it very funny that many magicians judge the effectiveness of a magic trick from the audience reactions on the video that teaches it.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1077 Posts

Profile of taller8
I agree Iceblade.

If someone were to use audience reactions to determine the quality of an effect, we all would be buying every L & L dvd every made. Smile
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
120 Posts

Profile of blpprt
I love this trick! So clever! So ingenious in many ways!

If you want to see audience reactions that (in my opinion) make doing magic worthwhile, check out the group of pre-teens and the homeless African-American guy on the performance section of the DVD. For the folks who just perform for youtube, this is what you're missing if you don't get out in public and perform for people. You won't get that kind of reaction every time but for the moments you do...it's sooooo great!

Bob L.
Silvio
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Silvio
I'm a big fan of Gregory Wilson too, I would just buy this DVD to watch him perform and not to learn the trick itself!!
Magic Fingers
View Profile
New user
Blackpool, UK
68 Posts

Profile of Magic Fingers
Gregory Wilson is the man. He and Richard Sanders are probably my 2 favourite magicians especially in terms of the material they release into the magic community. I have just started performing his chip on shoulder routine and there is a lot to be said for this type of routine where the spec is constantly 1 step behind, they seem to love being duped along the way. Think I'll be making the purchase $40 doesn't seem unreasonable to me, I'm sure it'll be top notch and Greg seems to iron everything out for you in terms of performance so you don't have to find things out the hard way. Packs small..plays big, what more could you ask for. People who have this do you generally perform this alongside recapped as I don't know that routine but would obviously invest the time to learn it if they play well together or do you do one or the other, as it would be quite a lot of biro magic?
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Did Tom Stone have something a bit like this? Déjà Vu or something similar? Not sure as I don't have "Pointless" but it looks very nice indeed.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
772 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 12:46, Tom Lauten wrote:
Did Tom Stone have something a bit like this? Déjà Vu or something similar? Not sure as I don't have "Pointless" but it looks very nice indeed.

Yes, it is similar to Jonas Ljung's "Déjà Vu Pen" that I published 2004 in the ebook "Deserting the Legion" at http://shop.tomstone.se

The difference is that "Pointless" is more like the Tipsy Turvy Bottle, while "Déjà Vu Pen" is more about the pen becoming mysteriously re-capped.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Been playing with this, practising for about a week now - really good fun to do, but haven't showed it to anyone yet. Workmanship is flawless, the routine and bonus material is all great.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Greg Wilson's Pointless (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL