The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Greg Wilson's Pointless (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-03 07:42, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I like it, typical Greg Wilson/Christian Grisier trick. Very entertaining!

A stupid question-

I assume you can do the classic pen through dollar with this right?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
Anoth stupid question, is this a BIC pen and would I be able to get a matching pen for this?
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Congratulations Christian! This is one of the coolest things I've seen in some time. Simple, organic magic using a familiar object. I agree with a couple other posters, if this can be used in conjuction with pen thru dollar in addition to ReCap, then this will be something to be carried around on a daily basis.

I stopped carrying my standard pen thru bill years ago as a daily pen for a couple of reasons. First, when carried on a daily basis the magnet seemed to work its way out on more than a few pens. So I ended up simply using pen thru bill when working gigs instead of a daily impromptu effect while out and about around town. Also, I carry a couple of nice pens on a daily basis due to my day job, so carrying a Bic pen seemed out of place. But "Pointless" may be too good to not carry, so I'll probably just throw away my Mont Blanc (kidding). Seriously though, this looks like a winner that I'll be using!!
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
462 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Quote:
On 2009-08-08 10:40, Badger wrote:
Anoth stupid question, is this a BIC pen and would I be able to get a matching pen for this?

The one I have looks like an ordinary Bic pen that can be picked up @ Staples.

Bosco
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
The pen is indeed a Bic pen that, if you wanted to, you could easily get a matching normal pen. Again though, it really isn't necessary. There is nothing to hide. Although I could see your point for one subtlety. Last fall I was doing strolling gig and had the pen, along with a few normal Bics on me. I used the pen as simply a writing utensil for an add-a-number effect and eventually rolled into Pointless and Recapped. After the spectators at the table examined the pen I executed a nonchalant pocket switch for a legit pen and simply left it on the table, almost as if I forgot it. This solidified the fact that the pen was normal and of no significant value to me. After doing this at a few tables I noticed that some spectators kept it for themselves and others just left it there. Either way, it made the effect that much stronger.

As far as the pen through dollar routine goes, this pen was not designed with that in mind. I've done it with it, but its application is better suited for Pointless and Recapped. That being said, you'll have to try it out for yourself. Like I said, I've done it before and it definitely works... you just have to make some handling adjustments. You'll understand what I mean the first time you "stick it through" a dollar.

The pen is definitely worth carrying around. Just be careful because it's one of those props that you may forget is special and accidently misplace it. That's what happened to one of the prototypes Gregory sent me. Oops.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Back in the 90's I bought a pen thru bill from Bob King at a convention. The written routine with it is the end of the pen changing sides, just like this, and did not really have anything to do with going through the $. I remember trying it and it and I liked the bill penetration better.

BUT: Like everything in Gregs hands, he makes it look like gold!

ACE
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
OK, its been more than a week since it was suppose to ship. Has anyone heard from Greg about this being posted out or has anyone received it yet?????????????
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
All has gone quiet?
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
When I ordered this, I was not aware that it was actually a pre order.
I am not a big fan of pre ordering. This is starting to remind me of the Freak Key bottleneck at the very beginning.

Please understand that I am a HUGE fan of Gregory Wilson.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
I just received an email from Greg. He states that they will ship on Friday.

Jeremy
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
OK I just received this today. WOW!!! This is Aucking Fwesome, well worth the wait this is my best purchase so far this year. I bought tons of stuff this year too, like Copperfield's Flying Illusion, also his Death-Saw Illusion, so now you know how good it is. The DVD is great, it includes lots of live real world performances which is awesome. He does state that this is not recommended for pen thru bill which I will agree on. The pen it self is so so clever, he took his time with the details, like every project he works on. I would have to say that if you didn't order yet go do it now. You will not be disappointed, if you are disappointed then you are pointless. All joking aside this is a must for Close-up and walk around magicians. OK Greg now you can remove the gun from my head, The review is done. JK

GO GET THIS.
Jeremy

http://gregorywilsonfx.com/pointless.html
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I also played around with this concept very shortly after getting a pen through bill. When I saw the price here I honestly was quite surprised. However, the fact that the pen has the rounded end makes it make more sense.

A small thing, but big difference. I've never had a "problem" in performance with the flatter end of my pen, but have often desired a rounded end one.

Mind you, as I never liked most manufactured pens, the gimmick either being way to big, and thus flimsy, or way to small, and thus, either obvious, imho, or just not too impressive a penetration. The very first one I ever owned was the perfect length, but I lost it, and they stopped making that particular one. It was also a very normal looking pen.

As a result, I have since made my own pens for penetrations. The pens I use already have a flat end, and are very normal looking, and I do buy them at Staples.

Any who, rambled on a bit there. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, where the pen had a rounded end, AND a deeper penetration, lol.

Any who, the routine here looks great, and the gimmick looks top notch (from what I can see) but I am surprised there aren't more people who have played with this idea before.

As I said though, the addition to the gimmick is enough to sell this, IMHO.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 11:07, Krazyjay wrote:
I bought tons of stuff this year too, like Copperfield's Flying Illusion, also his Death-Saw Illusion, so now you know how good it is.

Huh???
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
Here's my review:

Greg Wilson created a new effect called Pointless, with help from other people. Do I need to say anymore? Greg Wilson is the man and this gaff is like all of his work, Perfect!! Don't walk or run just go order it online fast. You will love this.
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 06:11, Futureal wrote:
Quote:
I bought tons of stuff this year too, like Copperfield's Flying Illusion, also his Death-Saw Illusion, so now you know how good it is.

Huh???

I was basically saying that this is that good. I didn't buy those illusions, I was just being funny.

Jerm
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 12:35, Doomo wrote:
May I just say... Best title for a post all year!!!

Ha ha Smile

I want to get this... but alas it's just another thing to put onto my very long need to have pile... I wish I could just have the money one day to buy everything I want now all at once so I can get this right away Smile
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-19 21:13, Krazyjay wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 06:11, Futureal wrote:
Quote:

Huh???

I was basically saying that this is that good. I didn't buy those illusions, I was just being funny.

Jerm

I found your post pretty funny, haha. Smile Well, I'm taking On The Spot to college to learn Re-Cap and I'm also ordering the pen. I should have a solid "impromptu" pen routine in a few weeks. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Okay, everything new is old. I found the Instructions for "RECAP" "A topsy Turvy Pen" And A Whole Lot More!
by J. C. Hiatt
Copyright 1995 by J. C. Hiatt,3516 E. Crystal Lake Av. Orlando FL 32806

This is the same thing! I have it and it is the same type of pen thru gimmick, but better than all the new cheap ones that flooded the market.

quote from instructions<<<Effect: The magicans pen caps, uncaps, and recaps itself when pushed through the magicians fist! The point then VISIBLY jumps from one end to the other! Finally, the spectator helps make the magic for a clean ending and a usable pen, which can then be fully examined and used!

"My eyes and mind were totally fooled, I want one...Tom Craven

"Looks like real magic!"...Rocco

"I like it"... Meir Yedid

"Excellent anywhere, anytime effect. Thanks for the pen"...Bill Malone.
>>>end quote

So what's up? What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I have NOTHING against Greg. I met him in lecture and he is great. I'm just wondering about this.

ACE
deliveryboy
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
I picked this up fromn Greg at Magic Live it's awesome.
John
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-21 00:42, Acecardician wrote:
I have NOTHING against Greg. I met him in lecture and he is great. I'm just wondering about this.
ACE

Gregory Wilson did not come up with this idea actually. I believe someone mentioned that he showed the idea to Greg at a lecture. Greg's just marketing it under his "banner."
Douglas Lippert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Greg Wilson's Pointless (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL