The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Flash paper Q's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Philly Fillet
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Philly Fillet
Hi, my name's Philly. I found this site googling for ideas with which to work an effect-in-progress.

The first part of the effect has to do with a jewelry ring, so I'll post that portion elsewhere.

Relevant to the FX forum, however, I ran into a kink. The effect, in short, is a reveal of a spectator's ring in the center of a deck of cards after it flares up on the table.

I figured I could find something in the area of stiff flash paper, preferably cardstock, 67 lbs. I've been reliably informed that flash paper doesn't come that thick. So my hopes, now, are that some of you could suggest some alternatives or point me towards sources that could help me work this part out.

I'd really prefer something I could print a card back or card front on; or maybe someone knows of "flash" playing cards available somewhere. The only need (Obviously, I'm using a gimmicked deck for the reveal) is that the flash paper cover a deck of cards without being noticable.

Thanks for any help. If some of this is confusing, please ask me to restate it, and I will be glad to.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
You can print on flash paper, but beware. DO NOT USE A LASER PRINTER OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF PRINTER THAT HEATS UP! A friend prints his own flash bills. He uses a printer that prints with some type of wax instead of ink. He says it does a better job than an inkjet printer. I have printed on flash paper using an inkjet by taping the flash paper to a regular 8 1/2 X 11 sheet and it worked pretty well.
Philly Fillet
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Philly Fillet
Thank you, Eldon. That's some good knowledge. I attempted making these inquiries to a flash paper supplier, and they just brushed me off.

two more questions concerning flash:

flash manufacturers don't happen to make a [purchasable] liquid that can be applied to something, causing it to burn like flash paper, do they?

and;

I've seen flash envelopes, but have never required them. As a consequence, I've never bought them. Are they stiffer than regular flash paper? If such, can they be bought in sheets instead of envelopes?
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I've never seen flash envelopes. But if they exist you should be abble to get the sheets, I would think.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I wouldn't attempt to put flash paper in a printer. Even if it doesn't heat up regularly, what happens when it does by accident?
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Injet printers do not heat the roller, paper or ink. It is safe to tape a piece of flash paper to regular bond and run it through your inkjet printer.

DO NOT USE A LASER PRINTER!!!

I doubt you will be able to find cardstock that will work like flashpaper. If you did find it, it would have to burn very hot to consume a thick piece of stock in a couple of seconds.

Why not wrap the deck in a "napkin?"

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
When flash paper is ready for printing, then it is dry and that means it is dangerous. So place your printer where the flash paper can not ignite any fire. NOT in your office with carpet on the floor, but preferably outside or in room where nothing can burn; maybe your bathroom. Printer cables up to 10 meters are nor problem; with an extension you should be able to reach 20 meters.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Flash paper Q's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL