The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Im stumped! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Hello All!

Not sure if this is the right area to post this but I need (or actually my friend) needs your help. He asked if I knew of a slight in either a book or video that would teach him how to do this:

He takes his hand and shows it empty....he closes hand and upon it opening there is a coin bout the size of a silver dollar in his palm in which he gives it away.

He wants this to be a clean move no thread work as he plans to be short sleeved in doing this. He only wants to use one hand and not have to depend on two hands.

Does this exist and if so where?

Thanks for your help!

Robert
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
John Cornelius' Fickle Nickel could be adapted to this, although it doesn't meet one of the criteria. However, it can be performed in short sleeves, even though it uses something he doesn't want to use. The other way is found in T. Nelson Downs' Art of Magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
As Bill says the description you give sounds like a dealers advert for Fickle Nickle however that cannot be done given the criteria you are looking for. Think simply a blob of w** and a correct turn of the hand would do it although may be a bit angle restrictive.
Bri
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
536 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
The closest thing that comes to mind is Jeff Stewart's Now-U-C-It, Now-U-Dont gimmick which is marketed by Meir Yedid. Back in the early 90's I practiced this to death and got it really good where I could show the front and back of my right hand empty then closed my fist and upon opening the hand, I produced a coin. This can be done in a T-Shirt. It will take some mirror practice to get it right.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
Robert,

I have sent you a private mail on this one. I can see a few ways of doing this, but non perfectly clean. You may have to move the goal posts just a bit to acheive what you are looking for. Try GONE or MELT.

Martin
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9032 Posts

Profile of funsway
I do it all the time using my SwayToss Sleight, often with a dinner mint or finger ring. After a few ring effects I vanish it the same way. Just close your hand into a fist, open it and the ring is gone. Perform it in a bathing suit if you wish, or ...

I love to find an object like a lost earing or shirt button and produce it under the owner's nose. Show your hand on both sides, close into a fist, open and the object is there. Clean enough?

it's in my SHareBook -- "HandFull" No Charge to serious performers.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
What do you mean that you don't want to use 2 hands?

check out my coin production on you tube. would this fill the bill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ovf40jJV04
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Robert,

The answer to your question is yes, but there is of course a catch since you put so many conditions on your stated premise. Without threads, gaffs, and in short sleeves, and using one hand you need to specify what you mean by "show your hand empty".

Do you mean stretch out your fingers and show your palm empty, then slowly rotate your wrist to show the back of the hand, and then rotate back as you close the hand and when you reopen it the coin is there? If that's the case, you're looking for the holy grail of coin magic. I haven't found it yet. Many have solutions but they don't satisfy your conditions.

With your stated requirements, there are a number of well known ways of showing both sides of a hand empty and producing a coin but the display of emptiness will be not what I stated in the prior paragraph. The fingers or thumb may be close together, or the hand awkward as both sides are shown. You may be severly limited by angles.

The best solution is to use whatever you can. Doug Henning used the Fickle Nickel on LIVE TV to open up the show and it was beautifully done and satisfied the conditions I listed above but not yours. The NUSINUD effect could be adapted to a silver dollar.

Best of luck in your search

Larry

Larry
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10770 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
There are many ways to do this. some examples
pitch
toss
shuttle pass
pointing vanish ect ect ,,

'no gimmicks can be done in the nude lol
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8820 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I was going to mention the Pitch but he mentioned only using one hand. But for that little thing I believe my Quick Pitch or Platt's Fanning Pitch would do this to some extent. Also think a simple (or not so simple) Back Palm would accomplish this, all without any gaffs. I've seen it done exactly like this somewhere and for that you can check Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic (book). -Mb
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
A production from Downs Palm would be the most effective method.
You could easily also use a production from JW Grip, Finger palm, Back Palm, Back Clip, Nowhere Palm, Stealth Palm, Open classic palm or Ledge Palm.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
WOW!!!

Lots of great advice...thanks! I will pass this onto my friend who was looking for these ideas. He is the one that gave me the specifics to what he was looking for. I generally perform stand up or stage magic.

Thanks again for the great advice!

Robert
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
One of the best methods to accomplish this I've seen was accomplished with a Muscle Pass.
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
If it's a one handed empty display then production, it pretty much dictates what you have to do. It's got to be there before you start. So I have to agree with Eric here. Downs Palm, Edge Grip then transfering the coin into various palm, clip, or grip positions within the hand as you "rotate" it to show it "empty" - finally the production.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10770 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
No way the hand is shown empty back and front so no concelement will work.;
it has to be apitch of some sort or if table is used the a han pein chen
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Deep back clipping is one way.
I j
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8820 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Another good way that no one mentioned so far to do this is via the Tenkai Pinch. Smile Pretty easy and I'd say the problem is solved as this definitely meets all initial requirements. I just tried it on a passer-by, works perfectly. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 01:33, Bill Palmer wrote:
... The other way is found in T. Nelson Downs' Art of Magic.

Where in the book? I own it also... never came across it I guess.

I would go with the Downs Palm or the Harada Hold... you can't completely show the back of your hand with the HH but it's very convincing and with a little playing you'll see you can produce one-handed.
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 13:10, vinsmagic wrote:
No way the hand is shown empty back and front so no concelement will work.;
it has to be apitch of some sort or if table is used the a han pein chen

I respectfully disagree Godfather. The Downs Palm will allow the hand to be shown to be empty front and back and I think this will be our new friends best bet. Minimal sleight of hand, no gimmick and provides the exact effect he's looking for.
Now if the hand has to be shown completely empty, Harada Hold may work. Also, Shoot Ogawa and John Born both have some great techniques that while difficult, are well worth studying.

Unless we're thinking of different uses, I'm not completely sure how a pitching style technique or HPC would accomplish the same effect. I'm imagining our friend is asking us to be able to display the hand, slowly close it and open to reveal a coin. Maybe I missed something?

I have a coin production and one hand aquitment published in Antinomy Magazine Volume #7 called JW Meets Mutobe Meets Ramsey where you prove there is nothing between the fingers, or on the back or front of the hand just before producing a coin that has served me well over the years.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8820 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Harbin, PM'd you. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Im stumped! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL