The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Cutting Mis-Made Bills from a Sheet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
I just ordered a sheet of uncut $1 so that I can cut (I might tear a few as a T&R plot but I want to cut most of them) my own mis-made bills to give away. My question is, for those that have done it, what is the best and most practical way to cut the bills? Do scissors work okay or is it better to use an x-acto knife or blade paper trimmer? What is the best way to measure the bills out? Lining up the mis-made bill I have and cutting one at a time or using a pencil and measuring it out and cutting a bunch at once?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
The best way to go is with a high quality Roller cutter. Maybe I just got lucky, but I went to my local Office Depot and asked the manager about using their machine, which was large enough to handle the sheet. She let me do it and I was able to cut the whole sheet in about 30 minutes. I think I got 18-20 mismade bills. I gave her one as a thank you. I used an existing mismade bill for a template. As you cut, you get better at it. I now pretty much have a lifetime supply for $55.00! For special people, I borrow their dollar bill, fold it using a TT switch and leave them with the mismade bill. Buying the sheets and cutting them yourself makes this into an affordable option that leaves a lasting impression.

Best of Luck!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
546 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Sammy,
That's a great idea. Where do you buy the sheets of bills?

Thanks,
Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Thanks for the reply, Sammy.

That's exactly what I did--bought 2 sheets of 32 bills each. If my math is correct that should give me 21 bills per sheet, 42 for both. In the end it will cost about $1.60 to perform and give away the mismade bill each time.

Roberto,

You can buy uncut sheets of money here: http://www.bep.treas.gov/
Also, if you own the Switch book by John Lovick the address is in the intro section to the mismade bill.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
You're right Exit! I puts the bill at a cost that you can afford to give it away. What a memory for the spectator! I used to buy this for about $14.00 each!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2585 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I've had great success making these with just an X-acto knife, a metal ruler and a backboard to cut on. Once you figure out exactly where to cut vertically (between the E and S in reserve if memory serves) and horizontally you can make the cuts without even using a real bill as a template. And of course after you make the cuts the size matches up perfectly. My first sheet took me about an hour. Since then I can cut up a 21 bill sheet in about 20 minutes.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Hi Steven,
Did you have trouble using a ruler because of the width of the sheet? That was always my concern. How did you work around it?
Thanks,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
499 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Sammy,

Have you tried to make a Quadrabill out of the ones you made?

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2585 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Sammy,

I didn't have a problem using a ruler because my cut points were always the same. I would line up the ruler between the 'E' and 'S' in reserve through two or three bills and then reposition the ruler on the cut and then keep going through the next bills at exactly the same point.

The key to this method though is to have set points that you're using (both vertically and horizontally) then it doesn't matter how large the sheets are and/or how small your ruler is.

Hope this made sense.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 22:19, Sammy J. wrote:
Hi Steven,
Did you have trouble using a ruler because of the width of the sheet? That was always my concern. How did you work around it?
Thanks,
Sammy

Hi Sammy
Carpenter's use a tool that's called a Tee Square. It's used to make a square line or cut, on sheet goods. It's sorta like a giant framing square, and it can be bought at Home Depot for less than 20.00 . This square is also used as a straight edge (like a ruler) to guide your razor knife. Since the blade is almost 48" long, cutting a sheet of bills, would be a piece of cake.
http://www.castlewholesalers.com/JOHNSON......are.html
hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
To steady things if cutting using a razor knife, tape the sheet down to your backing sheet to keep it from moving round. If the ruler is long enough you can carefully position it and then tape it down as well. Use masking tape, it won't leave any residue if you remove it right after cutting.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
I bought a hobby cutting board, a straight edge, and an X-acto knife and cut a sheet of Mis-Made Bills. They came out great. Thanks for the responses, guys.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 11:01, TC Ryder wrote:
Sammy,

Have you tried to make a Quadrabill out of the ones you made?

TC

Hi TC, I'm not familiar with the quadrabill. What is it?
Thanks,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
By the way, just carrying one of these in your wallet presents some pretty fun opportunities to make people laugh. When looking for a one, pull one of these out with a puzzled look on your face. The look on the cashier's face is priceless!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22898 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Take the sheets to a picture framing business. They have all the equipment to cut the bills as you instruct them. I know a magician who did this and it only cost him about $20.00. Of course you can buy equipment as suggested above, but for a one time deal, this is the way to go, because if you make a mistake, the bills are trashed.

You can get the bill sheets from the government. They sell them. Go to this web site: http://www.moneyfactory.gov/store/section.cfm/69
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
I just picked up a $5.00 mismade bill and a $1.00 mismade bill for $44.00

Geez!
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 16:06, defconskylude wrote:
I just picked up a $5.00 mismade bill and a $1.00 mismade bill for $44.00

Geez!

That's pretty much the going rate. If you don't plan to give them away then these will last you for a few years. Overall, a good investment!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 17:30, Exitmat wrote:
I just ordered a sheet of uncut $1 so that I can cut (I might tear a few as a T&R plot but I want to cut most of them) my own mis-made bills to give away. My question is, for those that have done it, what is the best and most practical way to cut the bills? Do scissors work okay or is it better to use an x-acto knife or blade paper trimmer? What is the best way to measure the bills out? Lining up the mis-made bill I have and cutting one at a time or using a pencil and measuring it out and cutting a bunch at once?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I know this may be off topic, but WHERE did you purchase them? And were they expensive?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
825 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Scissors work fine. Use a good, large pair and just trace lightly with pencil.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
ExitMat,

Try to contact Jonathan Philippe via PM here on the café. He has recently made 10,- € mismade bills from a sheet. I got one and they are very professionally cut.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Cutting Mis-Made Bills from a Sheet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL