The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Recording vs. Ventriloquism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Is a big difference when it comes to playing a recording for the puppet and ventriloquism? I was thinking about using a recording because it is easier than ventriloquism, you do not have to worry about the audience watching your lips move. Any comments?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Big difference.
With a recording...your figure will lose spontaneity. I'd rather see your lips flap and simply be entertained by your humor Dynamike.
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
I think it would be OK as long as you call your act Millie & Vanillie !!
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I started out using Steve Axtell's recordings. Not ashamed to admit it. I also made some of my own prerecorded routines, using my own voice as different characters, and recorded my own music on these as well. I did this for about a year.

Does this bother "real" vents ? Probably, but my goal is to expand my show and make my audiences happy, which in turn produces more work. I am not out to try to impress ventriloquists.

I am now adding more and more vent in my shows, and moving away from prerecorded routines. My Maher course is starting to pay off!

I happen to know that Wanlu, who is now appearing on TV in his country, started this way as well.

Determining how far you want to go with puppets, soft, or hard figuress will dictate how far you want to go with learning vent.

Remember, though, that this area of the Café is populated with a lot of dedicated vents, so you may not get a lot of answers like mine !

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Nothing wrong with using a recording, but you would be a puppeteer - not a ventriloquist.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
RIght now I am neither one nor the other, but in transition...

:)
:ventriloquist:

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Yes you can use recordings but don't bill yourself as ventriloquist. And if you execute your act very well, it can be very entertaining! I've seen a few who used Axtell's recorded routines and they're such a blast to watch.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
stevezany
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of stevezany
I'd add that it also depends on the venue. I wouldn't advise using a recording in any setting where your voice isn't amplified too.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 18:04, tacrowl wrote:
Nothing wrong with using a recording, but you would be a puppeteer - not a ventriloquist.

Nothing wrong with being a puppeteer and not a ventriloquist. I love the talent that vents like Wanlu, Steve Axtell and many others have but I'm just not there and likely might never be. Still, I do recognize the great impact and texture that puppets can add to my show. As such I use an Axtell Remote Controlled Drawing Board (which my daughter operates so she's really the puppeteer) and as well I'm just starting to feel confident enough to use my Axtell Hands Free Puppet in the live mode.

jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Recording vs. Ventriloquism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL