The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instinct By Joel Dresnick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bernardo Rodriguez
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Bernardo Rodriguez
Hey guys have you seen this book...?
Sounds very interesting

http://instinctbook.webs.com/

Learn the secrets of Professional Mentalist and Magician Joel Dresnick. Throughout this e-book you will read inspiring essays, learn incredible magic and mentalism utilizing modern technology, and learn powerful mind reading. Below are some of the effects featured in "Instinct"

Card to Computer- A card visually jumps in and out of a computer screen

Scent- A powerful routine using smell as a way to connect 2 spectators

Chair Opener- An impressive way to open your favorite Chair routine

Googeling Card- Visual card magic using the popular website "google"

Instinct- A spectator uses his intuition to correctly guess a drawing made by the mentalist. Empowering magic at its best.

The Mother-In-Law of All Book Tests- An un-gimmicked version of Ted Karmovilich "Mother of All Book Tests"

Mental Mail- Joel reveals a powerful tool that is useful for both mentalism and magic.

Bonus Effect: Myndspace- Incredibly direct Mind reading without cold reading and with nothing written down!
MagicOfT
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
141 Posts

Profile of MagicOfT
Joel is a very talented magician and mentalist. This book has a collection of some very good effects. Now I have been helping Joel work on this book since its early stages and you may think my opinion is bias, but I really feel that the material in this book is strong, regardless of my friendship with Joel.
Tatanka Tan
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Hey Tatanka,

Thanks for the compliments. This is a book I have been working on for a while, and it is full or routines I use day in and out. If you guys have any questions, feel free to email me at joeldresnick@gmail.com
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
666 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hey Joel, nice nice.
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Here is one of the first reviews that have come in for the book:

"All I can say is WOW! The ideas showcased in this book are sure to spark creativity. There are many e-books out there that simply repeat old ideas, however, Joel Dresnick has put some really interesting ideas in this that are fresh and new. The presentation of “scent” is beautiful and can truly have an emotional impact on a spectator. Instinct is worth the price of the entire book, and the book test gave me a huge “Why didn’t I think of that!” moment. The computer magic is also unique too. The method, (it’s more like a tool) for “Mental Mail” left my head spinning. The essay featured also truly inspired me.

Thank you so much for sharing this, it was well worth the $28! I look forward to your future contributions to the art!"

- Chris W. from Atlanta, GA.

I do not know if Chris is a member here on the Café, but if so, Thank you for your review.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Congrats on the release Joel. Im sure the stuff is great from what I've seen in person. Ill be picking this up soon.

Nico
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Cool Nico. Nice to hear from you.
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
New Review came in today:

"Joel, Thank you so much for sharing this. Card to Computer and Googeling Card are really visual and interesting effects. I performed both for a friend of mine and he flipped out and said they were some of the best tricks I have ever done for him. The Mentalism stuff is also top notch and I look forward to practicing and performing these routines. This was one of the best e-books on mentalism and magic I have read in the past year."

- Tomas Garcia- Phoenix, Arizona
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
The Book has now been made available at http://www.imentalism.com for $25.
truckbonner555
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of truckbonner555
E-book REVIEW: Instinct by Joel Dresnick

I have known Joel personally for a little over two years. He is respected by pretty much everyone he shows his work to. Joel is someone who is constantly thinking about ways to fool people. I went to Tannen's Magic Camp with Joel for two years. Pretty much every day, he would have tons of new ideas and creations. His new ebook is written as if Joel is talking to you face to face. It's fairly short, but definitely worth the money. Joel wrote this book to inspire creativity, and even if none of the routines in the book appeal to you or your performance style, I guarantee that reading the items will benefit you as a magician, mentalist, and/or magical creator. The book contains nine items. Some are meant for stage and some are for close-up conditions. So here's my review:

Card to Computer: In this effect, you go up to someone else's computer that is turned off, have a card selected, throw the deck at the computer, the selected card goes through the computer screen and everyone can see it displayed on the screen. You then proceed to pull the card out of the screen and it can be examined.
This trick is very easy to perform if you have basic card handling skills. This probably won't fool a magician, but I'm sure it has a profound effect on laypeople.

Scent: This effect truly demonstrates Joel's creativity. It is a stage mentalism effect that involves a man and his wife. A bag of pieces of paper that have different scents written on them is brought to a man on stage. He selects one, reads what scent it is and smells his hands and imagines that he's smelling the scent on his hands. His wife is told to do the same, except she doesn't know what the selected scent is. The mentalist then asks her what she smells, and she responds with the correct smell. I'm not a mentalist, but I'm pretty sure that this is one of the most powerful effects ever.

Chair Opener: Another amazing stage mental effect. An audience member is brought on stage and told to sit at one of the four numbered chairs on stage. After telling the spectator to concentrate on a chair, he secretly sticks a piece of paper on her back predicting which chair she will sit at.(The whole audience sees this except for her). She then sits in the chair that was predicted by the mentalist. This effect is a new use for an old principle. You will be amazed at the simplicity of the method.

Outside Elements: This is a short essay written by Joel that is about his philosophy regarding mentalism, magic and the connection between the performer and spectator. This will make you rethink the way you perform the effects in your repertoire.

Googeling Card: This is an interesting use for somewhat well known technological principle. google.com is displayed on the internet browser on someone's computer. The magician has a card selected. He covers the two o's of the google logo with the selection. When he removes the card from the screen, the o's are gone. He then shows the front of the card and the two google o's are seen to have traveled there. The magician then puts the card back on the screen, removes it and the o's are seen to have jumped back to the logo.

Instinct: This is a stage mentalism effect that is very powerful. It is a new use for an old principle. The mentalist displays an envelope which has a drawing inside. The audience is asked to guess what is inside, but to keep it to themselves. The mentalist then calls on a spectator and asks them what they think the picture is. After he answers, the envelope is opened and the picture is in fact what the man guessed. If you do stage work, this effect is for you. Extremely powerful.

The Mother in Law of All Book Tests: This is a powerful book test that uses a normal book. A spectator picks a page in a normal, borrowed book.The spectator then takes the book and is asked to read through a few lines on the page and to make a picture in his mind of what he read. The performer reads the successfully reads the mind of the spectator and tells him what he had read. The spectator then thinks of a word on the page, and the mentalist tells him what word he's thinking of. The effect is extraordinary and the method is simple. It uses a principle that is very common is Joel's creations.

Mental Mail: Two spectators participate in this miracle. One of the spectators writes down a message to send to the other person. The magician takes the piece of paper and makes it vanish. The magician tells the spectators that the message has digitized and turned into an email. The second spectator checks his/her email that night and finds the message from the show in his/her inbox. The message is from the first persons email address! You'll really like this effect.

MyndSpace: This is a modern method of reading the mind of someone you know. This item isn't something that is super revolutionary, but it was put in to inspire creativity.

I really enjoyed reading this ebook, because it truly demonstrates Joel's thinking when it comes to magic. Don't think my review is biased because Joel is my friend. This is my honest review as if I didn't know him. All the effects are practical and ingenious. If you perform mentalism, or you are interested in exploring how computers can enhance your magic, this ebook is for you.

-Alex Bonner
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Hello everyone, just to hear some more input I am going to make a deal on here...

The next 3 people to PM me will get a FREE copy of the book as long as they write an honest review after they read it.
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Edit: The 3 spots have been filled up.
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
I just read Instinct by Joel Dresnick and am very impressed with the quality of his thinking. While the ebook includes over a half dozen effects, the true value of the book is in understanding the thought process of the author. I will not go into a detailed account of what each section of the ebook contains, as that has already been done, but I do wish to add that I personally found the concepts presented in Outside Elements, Mental Mail and MyndSpace to be great.

Mental Mail impressed me by using a technique that I knew very little of. The idea of mentally sending an email, is up to date to say the least, and Joel has stumbled across a concept that any thinking performer will be able to take way beyond the scope of the given effect.

MyndSpace is another one of those little gems that many will pass up, but the ones that use the idea will find that it will be worth more than they could have ever imagined! The ways that the principle can be applied are so varied, that almost any performer, with a little thought, will be able to produce something very individual and special.

Outside Elements offers the performer a short essay on how to take the simplest effect and turn it into a masterpiece. I can not say too much without disclosing, but trust me that if you apply what Joel is teaching, you will begin to create wonder that far exceeds many effects.

As you might have noticed I keep mentioning how the ideas can be applied to so many effects beyond the scope of the book. While the author offers some very nice effects, I see much of this work as being an example of how to take the simple, and create the extraordinary.

For those that are looking for effects that blow you away with complex method, look elsewhere. The effects in this ebook, for the most part, use concepts that almost every mentalist knows. What the author has done well is to take the simplest ideas and demonstrate how they can be worked into wonders. Will the effects in this book floor the guys at your magic club? Most will probably not. However, they will prove workable in the real world, and give you a starting point for creating ideas of your own.

By the way, it should be noted that not every technique needed to accomplish a given effect is detailed in the ebook. It is assumed that the reader is already versed in the elementary techniques of magic and mentalism. As a result, I would not consider this the book to start your studies with. That said, if you are reasonably versed in the arts, you will find this ebook to be of real value.

Thanks Joel for publishing something that goes that step beyond!

Stan
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Thank you so much for your review Stan! I am glad you enjoyed it.

And I am going to email you on an update to the method of Mental Mail, because unfortunately there have been some problems with ****send.***

Warm Regards,

Joel
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the update! It is great to deal with an author that follows through like this. Smile

Stan
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Hello everyone,

Just letting everyone know that "Instinct" will be available at http://www.lybrary.com starting August 16th. There should also be some more reviews coming in for the book soon.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Alright Joel kindly sent me a review copy of the book. My review has been posted in the Good, Bad, and the Garbage section under Ebooks and Downloads.

Here is the direct link:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=159&0

Hope this review helps out.

Nico
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Thank you Nico for your review. Some more reviews should be coming in the next few days. Check back here or at http://www.instinctbook.webs.com for the reviews thus far.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I just finished reading this, and overall I am very impressed with this. I don't consider there is a bad item or filler in the book.

My favorite three items are:
Googeling Card- Although I don't plan on using a card as mentioned in the book. So many people have Google.com set as their home page. It is the probably the best known web site in the world. Instead transferring the two 0s to a playing card I just plan on taking an eraser and erasing the two circles off the screen. In fact I have already shown it to a few people and it freaks them out.

The Mother of All book tests is worth the price of the manuscript. In fact I am considering using this with my Double Coincidence routine for repeat shows. A trip to the book store will find you a book that will allow you to closely duplicate the Mother of All book tests with an ungimmicked book. Very Clever indeed.

Chair Opener- although not original(a similar idea has been released before)I find his handling to be very commercial and worth your consideration. It is something I will try in some of my future shows.

I would recommend this book hands down.

Devin Knight
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Thanks for your review Devin! It is really appreciated.

The rest of the reviews should be coming in shortly. As of now, I am actually working on a companion piece to Instinct that will be mostly on my personal philosophy of magic and mentalism. It will also have a few routines, but it is mostly geared towards the performer who is looking to put more "meaning" into their routines.

- Joel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instinct By Joel Dresnick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL