The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Study shakes foundation of climate theory! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 02:51, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have nothing to day about scientific methodology as of late I believe it is simply losing its varnish.

I will note that when it got warmer in the Medieval time period it was called the "Medieval Optimum Period", not the "Medieval Global Warming Disaster".

This is not a scientific conclusion needless to say, more an observation. (which is what science is supposed to be based on right?)

The reason it wasn't called the Medieval Warming disaster was because it didn't get warmer in the Medieval period.

youtube.com
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
If you guys want to inform yourself on these issues, I'd suggest you check out a site that's written by actual scientists, for example: http://www.realclimate.org/

-Rob
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-10-11 23:42, rjthomp wrote:
If you guys want to inform yourself on these issues, I'd suggest you check out a site that's written by actual scientists, for example: http://www.realclimate.org/

-Rob

:applause:
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There are plenty of whack job real scientist....
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

No doubt. Look at their evidence and demonstrate that they are whack jobs.

Frankly, if a person can't understand any of the mathematics in the weather models, that person's opinion is worth close to zero on this matter.

For some issues, a whole lot of people seem to think that the ability to shout makes truth come out of their mouths.

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
John, some day the UN will ban the US and the rest of the countries can catch up and global warming will no longer exist.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

If they do, I'll join the voices in calling it unfair.

But I won't do it on the basis of saying that science that I don't understand if false because I don't like it.

JOhn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Oxygen - see what happens when you let that stuff onto a planet? Takes forever to remove those dirty critters and get back to a normal Sulfur based ecology. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
No problem. Your local grassroots Citizens for Coal Energy Sources is doing all they can to promote the Sulfur lifestyle. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The coal energy source types are the libs who killed atomic energy...those guys are not hugging trees, they are trying to rip 'em from the ground. Thank goodness we conservatives are here to save the planet from you all.

Hey, the earth may be going through warming periods, same as it goes through cooling periods, it also wobbles folks. I'm just tired of the anti USA agenda types looking for ways to stick it to us. The EU has special import taxes to punish the US, just raises prices on their own people.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Most of the scientists today, which are well known and quoted by the press, have learned to gain financial and political support the same way top paid CEOs would. They present only the evidence that supports their theories and point of view and ignore any that does not.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
We get the best science money can buy.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-12 21:07, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Most of the scientists today, which are well known and quoted by the press, have learned to gain financial and political support the same way top paid CEOs would. They present only the evidence that supports their theories and point of view and ignore any that does not.

Do you actually know any research scientists? I know many, and this is an enormous piece of crap.

I've written research grant proposals: the conclusions are not and never will be part of the process.

John
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 22:42, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Do you actually know any research scientists? I know many, and this is an enormous piece of crap.

I've written research grant proposals: the conclusions are not and never will be part of the process.

John

No! I do know people that hire scientist especially ones with the most impressive credentials for legal battles.

Like I said the really smart ones are quoted in the media and testify in court as expert witnesses for the highest bidders. Your post supports mine. You are neither well known nor quoted by the press because you have not learned the really important part of being a scientist. It's all about marketing!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 15:02, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
...the ability to shout makes truth come out of their mouths.

John

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!! I AM CLEARLY RIGHT TOO!!!

On another note: I knew what nearly everyone was going to say based on their username... seriously. I think I have read too much of too many people's Internetery.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Tom is right you know. I was pondering on the way home, many scientist suck down money for nothing while it is the engineers that actually produce something. Another thing, these PhD's in the sciences have to come up with some original thesis and they have to streatch to find it and then have to spend the rest of their time defending their nonsense that they can't prove. I mean, how much is the US govt giving to some idiots who compile temps from around the world? Even if there is global warming caused by me and my ilk then it isn't the scientist who will solve it. I say we stop giving money to those guys and use the money to pump reclaimed water to the source of streams that are dried so critters can drink from it and then it can go through natures filter and all that. I wonder, how many people can we feed for what we give to those scientist?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
... you have not learned the really important part of being a scientist. It's all about marketing!

And who better to do marketing than your friendly local mega corporation like Exxon or Entergy?

To take an egregious example, the pharmaceutical companies have been caught hiring doctors to sign their names to research reports that have essentially been written by the companies' PR firms. These reports then have been printed unwittingly by the New England Journal of Medicine and other prestigious medical journals as real science without attribution. Of course the "research" results always seem to put the companies' latest products in a positive light. Here's another example.

Any government scientist making up data is a fool: if you're going to be a criminal the big bucks are in private industry.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

To be clear, I try to reference independent scientists who publish through anonymous peer review.

Usually when links are posted to popular press, the material bears little resemblance to the anonymous peer-reviewed science. Often the momentary fame of these scientists is due to the press using their names, rather than their putting their names forward.

Now, without Google--can anyone name a famous climate scientist?

Didn't think so.

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Me, I just got my PhD in Climate Scientology.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-10-13 19:53, MagicSanta wrote:
Me, I just got my PhD in Climate Scientology.
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Study shakes foundation of climate theory! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL