The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Beginner Unicycle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1134 Posts

Profile of APC
Hey all, I decided that I want to learn to ride a unicycle. I just want to be able to ride around, nothing fancy. I've been searching for good ways to learn but there is a ton of info and thought the Café might be a good place to ask. What unicycles would you recommend?
Thanks,
Adam
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
" What unicycles would you recommend?
Thanks,
Adam "

Anything you can get for free to start with. You may find that unicycles aren't your thing. No sense throwing away good money ... search Café' for similar topics.

Cap'n Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi Adam,

I started out by buying a cheap unicycle, 20" wheel, from eBay. 20" seems to be the standard for learning on, and I found that if you buy one you are more inclined to learn properly.

As for learning, it won't be an easy process and will certainly take time, but you will get there! I managed to learn, even though I couldn't ride a normal bike (still can't as a matter of fact). I now perform knife juggling on it, so if I can learn, you definitely can!

Hope this helps - if you want any more advice, you can message me or just post something else in this thread. Always happy to help!

Take care

Mark
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Mark1991 said, "... and I found that if you buy one you are more inclined to learn properly."

Great point Mark !!

The Cap'n
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I would go with any sort of standard 20". I started to learn on a 16" simply 'cause that's what I had. I invested in a 20" during that time and what a difference it made! I still have that 20" Torker, and I've replaced the tire with a mountain bike tire to make riding outdoors more comfortable. If you "just want to be able to ride around" I would recommend at least a 20" or a tad larger, 24" or 26".

I would take a quick look at the following: http://www.unicycletoday.com/wheel-size.html, http://www.jugglingstore.com/store/about/unicycle.html, http://www.unicycle.co.nz/View.php?actio......unicycle.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
I also agree that buying a unicycle makes you more inclined to learn it. I wanted to learn to play the Ukulele so I bought a $300 one. If I am going to spend that kind of money then I am going to learn how.

I personaly use a Sun 30" wheel as I find it is good for long distance.

As always,
Dylan
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Love my Torker 24"
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
They say the smaller the wheel, the easiest it is to keep the balance.
20'' is pretty much the standard. I learned on a cheap 24'' so I'm proof that there is no absolute beginner unicycle.

Also, if you want to do trials (Stunt jumping, obstacle courses) then a strong 20'' is what you need. Qu-Ax has some fair prices but you may have to buy a ISIS hub and cranks to sustain the heavy jumping.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Beginner Unicycle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL