The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups Sticking Together (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I'm having an issue.

I use the RNTII Paul Fox Cops (Copper) and just recently, the cups are STICKING when they nest. An example...

Picture doing the Charlie Miller Move and when you lift up one cup off the nest to reveal the ball on the top of the cup below the top cup (if that made any sense) all the cups come up with it. So your left holding the top cup with the other cups stuck in the next just hanging on in a cluster.

What causes this to happen and is there a way to fix it?

Please advise...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3399 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Polish/clean the cups. Probably body oil is the culprit and it is creating a seal.

Just a thought.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
I would suspect that the Cups are out of round.
Have they been dropped / squashed?

Bill
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Either one of those explanations can cause this. The tolerances on our cups are not that tight, there should be adequate wiggle room for the cups to nest, but if a cup is dropped and the mouth opening is out of round that cup will stick - but it would take one heck of a drop to cause this - it's more likely that a drop would dent the mouth bead. Are you sure they are not the Magic Makers / Penguin knock-offs? I hear they stick frequently.
If dirt is building up on the cup, either inside the mouth or above the middle bead then this will create friction and you can have the same result. This could happen in the summer if the cups are used a lot.
You work restaurants, maybe some rib-chomping customer picked up your cups and left BBQ sauce on them!
If they are not out of round, try simply washing the cups with soap and water. This won't strip off your patina. If the patina is not important to you, follow up with a good tarnish remover and polish (don't polish the inside). Also, if you are in the habit of waxing your cups, a waxy build up can cause this problem (don't wax the inside)
Don
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Don (and all),

Thanks for the responses....

No...these are the real deals...not the MM Paul Faux cups. I've never dropped the cups and they do not get slammed around any. I don't even do the Cup thru Cup move out of fear they would get out of round from prolonged penetrations (ooo....sounds dirty!).

I never thought about the weather. The cups stay in their sack which stays in my Dr.s bag which stays in my hot car. I guess the Texas Summer heat could be effecting this.

They do get a work out. I perform in restaurants 5 nights a week and the cups are usually my table opener...so figure about 30 times a night give or take x 5 nights a week.

I'll try to wash the cups and start bringing my bag inside. If that doesn't work, then I'll polish the cups and start their patina all over again (sigh).

If anyone else has suggestions, please toss em' out there...

Thanks so much (IN ADVANCE),

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You can test for out of round by rotating the cups in small increments while carefully nesting and un-nesting the, If they stick sometimes, but not others, one or more may be out of round.

One other possible cause is repeatedly banging one cup onto another, or banging the stack while in a nested condition. This can cause the mouth beads of the upper cup to flare, and the shoulder beads of the lower cup to compress within them. Instead of nesting one atop the other, they will eventually begin to fit more like a lid on a tin... not completely, of course, but enough to potentially cause the problem you mention. Copper is very malleable.

Self edit: My post hit just after yours did, so I see now that you don't bang the cups around. My mistake.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
OK, it's probably the heat. The interior of your car gets hot enough to ignite flash cotton, and hotter. Combine the heat with the oils on the cups (from just using them) and you have a sticky situation. Put them in the freezer for a little while and test if they perform better. But you are going to have to wash them. Washing them don't ruin your patina. Just dry them thoroughly so you don't get spots.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
If you do want to be drastic and remove your patina, clean, polish and seal with wax there are a couple of videos here which may help:
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Cup-Care.html
I would try just washing them first though Smile

Bri
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I had a set of cups that did that... If the cups were not dropped and dented... Then they may have been spun slightly out of round. This can happen if the spinner is using a worn chuck.

I think the problem with my cups is they were not anealed propperly... They had little stress marks on the inside.

I found that if I let them sit unnested the problem got worse... So I allways nested them when stored them. Second thing I did was get some thick fabric. I used torn jeans... I please the fabric between the cups ans started nest them and unnesting them very agressivly to push out the walls of the cup. I also nested them with the fabric and then spun the top cup around a few times... Worked for me... Its like the coin Sh#ll and the silk bit... on a larger scale.

Shawn
Shawn.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
I concur with Shawn B above.

His tip is what did it for my cups.

My set was bought from Pegani, and was a european (German?) set,
NOT a "Paul Faux set".

Remember to take it I'm small steps!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups Sticking Together (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL