The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel guillotine illusion goes wrong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
D.N.
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of D.N.
HAHA I just watched the new Mindfreak episode "Mass Levitation" on http://www.aetv.com/criss_angel/video/index.jsp
and I was laughing my *** off when they revealed it was fake.
All your hater comments seem so ridiculos now.
I believe the guy with the cut off head was actually Doug Malloy.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-08-27 14:48, D.N. wrote:
All your hater comments seem so ridiculos now.

lol... I just have to dissect this just a little bit. Most of the comments I saw were about the bad acting. I think many would agree that was still the case regardless of intent. Few magicians were actually "fooled" that this was faked. In fact he DID use Doug for the "victim" in one of the more obvious stoogings so far this season (although Doug reprised his role as the "leaner" in the Mass Levitation segment... I guess Criss has given up hiring unknowns to stooge things for him)

I think one of the more telling statements in the episode was in the beginning when he stated "Tonight, I'm going to attempt what has never been accomplished in the history of my art form... a mass levitation"

We can only assume that his art form isn't magic but television editing. He of course has his internal team rambling about how he's going to use people he doesn't "know" (I guess in the biblical sense) and that there are no gimmicks yet in fact there is EVERY gimmick known to magicians the world over. I would call it more of a levitation "medley" just stringing together every method he could pre-rig under a mat or behind some masking.

Please don't confuse our sadness with what he has done to any semblance of credibility in magic to "hating". I believe them to be two very differing emotions.
Ray Pierce
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Good analysis Ray.

But I'll go ahead and hate on the guy for another reason entirely.

Pranks are one thing.

But, to let people think they just participated in/witnessed the paralyzing or possible death of another human being, makes him a complete and total d*****bag of the highest order.

I've pulled plenty of practical jokes, and probably even faked a small injury or two in the process if I'm honest. But to let all those people go that long with the situation they were faking? Unconscionable.

So yeah, I'll hate on him. Next he'll have his brother call his Mom and say "Criss just burned to death in rehearsal" then when she shows up at the morgue, Ashton Kutcher will pop out and scream that she got Punk'd.

This is lowlife no-class behavior of a complete hack, twit, and scumbag.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... I can't really argue with that!
Ray Pierce
D.N.
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of D.N.
What was your opinion on the Dekolta Chair?
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
HE TELLS EVERYONE THAT IT IS FAKE! It was one a joke played on everyone who was watching and he showed it in a later episode, for his new season...
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
That prank was pretty bad. However, CA has brought magic back to the people. People are talking about magic again and that is a good thing. I salute him for what he has done. Whether by camera tricks or by rigged props, he is making magic a topic of discussion. I have always believed that the true for of magic is in the performers ability to entertain. This is exactly what he does. Forget what genre he does, he still entertains millions. So until I see anyone on here that bad mouths him do the same, you will just be jealous haters. Plain and simple. He sells magic. I thought that the dekolta chair was an awesome way to make an appearance in that situation.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I'm talking about the people on the stage, that unless they were all stooges, (which with CA is a total possibility) - were led to believe for a period of time, that this man was paralyzed or dying. The viewer on the later broadcast knows it's a prank, sure.

Michael Vick entertains millions, and is a low-life. Just because someone entertains millions does not give them license to be a horrible person. I'm not even commenting on his affronts to the magic community, it's the prank that I find unsconscionable. I would say the same if my father did it.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 12:03, BYUDAD wrote:
However, CA has brought magic back to the people. People are talking about magic again and that is a good thing. I salute him for what he has done. Whether by camera tricks or by rigged props, he is making magic a topic of discussion. I have always believed that the true for of magic is in the performers ability to entertain. This is exactly what he does. Forget what genre he does, he still entertains millions. So until I see anyone on here that bad mouths him do the same, you will just be jealous haters. Plain and simple. He sells magic. I thought that the dekolta chair was an awesome way to make an appearance in that situation.

I totally understand your comment. His "Tribute" to Richardi was a great edited way to do the DeKolta chair if reality doesn't matter to you. The Satan's Seat is a fun appearance. I'm not sure he sells magic... I honestly believe his prime motive is to sell himself. There is sadly a big difference.

Magicians that depend on magic as their income do need to keep it in the limelight.

There have been many great magicians that have done this through the years and we all owe a great debt of thanks to them. They increase visibility and create interest in what we do as it serves to amplify the desire for work for all of us.

Other magicians (I'm not mentioning any names) have been known to rape and pillage the system by creating totally unrealistic expectations for us by creating their own brand of "magic" that can't actually be accomplished as visually depicted. They could be driven by money, power, ego and fame to the point where they might not care about what's really best for other magicians or even magic as an art ... just what can blast them ahead leaving a trail of magical corpses in their wake.

Is it fair? Is it cheating? Is it ALL camera tricks? It doesn't really matter.

It creates unrealistic expectations that no one can live up to... especially the perpetrator. This has created a trend of not even caring about a method. We have a generation of kids with video cameras, an Internet connection and a Youtube account that are trying to duplicate what they see and doing a decent job. Real skill and methods no longer matter if you have a home editing system.

We can debate that this IS the magic of this generation. Sleight of hand becomes sleight of mouse as kids just hobble together a virtual effect on their laptop. They determine that if you fake an effect on camera, you can get a TV show on basic cable and eventually a show in Vegas. How can I debate that with them?

Where does this leave what I will call (for lack of a better term) the real magicians? The ones who have taken years to develop their skills and can actually do effects live and have them create a real sense of mystery and wonder. What do we say when people ask us if we can do what the TV magicians do... and they are just deluded enough to believe it's all real because "what you see is what you get". You do a brilliant effect you've spent years mastering and they tell you that the TV magician just does it without all of that fumbling around (as his fumbling around is on the cutting room floor).

I'm so proud of magicians who work hard and try to create a better magic environment for all magicians. It's a lot harder to do it the right way but then everyone wins.

Other's simply don't care and want to get ahead at all costs... even if that cost is ultimately destroying the art they claim to love.

Time will tell...
Ray Pierce
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Ray Pierce wrote:
" What do we say when people ask us if we can do what the TV magicians do... (?)"

Ray , I'm sure YOU know exactly what I say: "Yes I can do exactly what______does on TV, just as he does it too, with a video camera and a team of clever video editors. What you saw on TV...you will NEVER see done live."

Some times people are surprised at the candor, and others say something like, "I THOUGHT that's was what it was..."

I have no reason to lie on the perpetrators behalf and compound the problem. As for those forum members who might now call me a "jealous hater" , let me assure you that my approach, style ,and professional markets... and those of our TV magic 'stars' are radically different and I have no reason for envy or jealousy.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... my favorite comment was from someone on here.

"Can you do what Criss Angle does?"

"No, and neither can he!"
Ray Pierce
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
SO...how old is Crass Angel going to be at the end of the 10 year run @ the Luxor? +50? I wonder if he will change his style by then..and join AARP.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
[quote]On 2009-08-28 20:34, Ray Pierce wrote:
Quote:

It creates unrealistic expectations that no one can live up to... especially the perpetrator.

DC and all his money does the same for the up and coming guys. Right? How many time have you heard can you do they same as DC? Can you do the same as DC? With all his money and creative crew, Yes! Actually no because he has pattens on all his tricks. Now that is taking care of the magic community.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-08-29 03:31, BYUDAD wrote:

DC and all his money does the same for the up and coming guys. Right? How many time have you heard can you do they same as DC? Can you do the same as DC?

Actually, you might be able to. In theory you could build a prop out of cardboard and contact paper, get an electric fan for your hair and still fool people in a live setting using sound magic techniques.

When I created the Vanishing School Bus Float for ARCO for the Rose Parade years ago, I built a mock up using a plastic toy bus about 18 inches long and a cardboard box and table. I ended up "performing" the toy version over and over for most of the visiting news crews doing stories on the float. No, the cardboard version didn't cost $300,000 like the big one and it didn't have 14 kids inside it, but it fooled people the same. Many times money just buys quality and scale.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't agree with everything David has done but by and large he was trying to maintain some level of credibility for magic and has a long history of successful live shows to prove it.

Other newer magicians can't even duplicate most of their own effects in a live setting as evidenced by current shows.

I understand that you salute these magicians for what they've done and I won't debate a personal preference for what type of magic or magician you like. It's an opinion that we are all entitled to.

Personally, I just don't want to encourage this trend I see developing as I feel it's undermining the efforts of a lot of great magicians and destroying some credibility at the expense of many others.

I think 10 years will tell us a lot about whether or not the decisions made by these "TV Only" magicians were a wise ones. I'm sure we each have our predictions on that as well... let's make a time capsule!
Ray Pierce
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Those presentations that rely on green screen and editing for obfuscation aren't magic; they're special effects, and anyone can do them with minimal rehearsal.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
But, hey, that's just my opinion. Smile
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
David Copperfield doesn't just have money and an amazing creative crew (he is a BIG part of that creative crew BTW). He also has a ton of talent and perseverance.

I have had a relatively successful career as an illusionist and received great reviews for my invention, the Lou Leventhal Ring in Racquetball. If I had all of David Copperfield's money, illusions & crew - I still wouldn't be as successful as David Copperfield. The man has talent, drive and creativity way beyond anything I will ever possess. I don't feel threatened by people who ask if I can do "such & such." I just say, "I saw that too. Wasn't it amazing!"

Maybe we could help the art of magic if the public perceived us as enjoying other magicians, instead of feeling that we have to be able to do everything everyone else does, or at least know how the illusions are done.

I don't appreciate everything many of the aforementioned magicians may do. I don't believe that I need to say everything that I think to the general public.

Just some thoughts.

Lou
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
When people ask about Angel, I say "He's good at what he does."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
I agree with that, Lou. I've always been a big Copperfield cheerleader...as well as Penn and Teller and others. Back in the day I loved Henning's stuff, too...and admired that, when he goofed up, live on TV, he kept right on going and adlibbed his way out.

I revel in the successes of others. Such successes elevate us all.

I just have some problems with using camera tricks. Seems like that cheapens the art and, if it gets out to the general public, everyone is suspect.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Good lord...just looked at my posting total. Been on this site for 2 1/2 years and only 249 posts.

I should be more of a blabbermouth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel guillotine illusion goes wrong (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL