The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mikame Stainless Steel Cups (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WingChun
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of WingChun
Can anyone give a review of the Mikame Cups?
Bill Palmer gave some fine tips in another post. However I'd like to get more details, maybe from someone who is using them. Thanks to everyone.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Pete Biro posted this not long back...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

a search of cupscon revelaed this...
http://www.cupscon.com/index.php/topic,367.0.html
WingChun
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of WingChun
Thanks Mind! Good info through the links You gave. I still look for someone who's actually using the cups in their performances, who has these cups worked on the "battle field". Any info will be welcomed. Thank You.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't mean to sound picky or rude; however, there are terms that I don't really like to see in posts about magic. These are terms like "arsenal, weapon" and others that might indicate an adversarial relationship with our audiences.

"Strategy" doesn't bother me, because strategy, itself, can apply to so many different things, other than warfare. But "battle field" leaps out at me as being rather strong.

I'm not trying to pick on you, Wing Chun, but I think that if you believe that you are performing on a battlefield you will have a different view of what you are trying to do for your audience.

About the Mikame cups -- specifically what kind of things do you want to know?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
WingChun
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of WingChun
Hi Bill,
I'm sorry for the words I used but I didn't mean to offend anyone or hurt anyone's sensibility through what may seem a brute language. Please, consider my country language is not English and perhaps the literal translation sounds quite rude. I apologige for this with any Café member that has read my post.
What acutally I wanted to know if there's any cups' performer out there who's using this cups, so to detail any pro and con: things (and feelings) that come from the intensive use of a magical apparatus. That's all. Thanks to everyone. Giuseppe.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's okay. As a matter of fact, it's a very common kind of expression that magicians use without even thinking about it.

I'm still curious about the specific kind of thing you want to know. I'll list a few:

1) stacking
2) balance
3) weight
4) moves that work well with them.

Are these the kinds of things you are interested in?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

WingChun
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of WingChun
Thank You Bill both for Your annswer and Your understanding. Yes, You've focused four points I'm interested in. With regards to these points, how do they compare to the Johsonson Cups, for example?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They are smaller and lighter than the Johnson cups. The balance is good. They stack well, with only a slight amount of wobble.

The balls that are supplied are a bit light, as is the case with most Mikame cups; however, they are easy to work with.

The elevator move works well with these cups. The three ball nest is also easy with them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

WingChun
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of WingChun
Thank you Bill, very good tips. I own the Johnson Cups and maybe Mikame could be a nice addition. Even considering the lighter characteristics of these cups, they seem a good set to work with. Again, thank you. Giuseppe.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They are not uncomfortably light. I don't think you would have a problem with them. You would have to use a smaller load, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Bill, While we are on the topic I'd like to hear your opinion of Balance.

Sorry to return to weapons again but. articles and books on knife throwing start by saying that the knife must have a good balance. But they don't describe what is meant by it. All they, and many others who use the term seem to mean is that the object must have a center of gravity. Most do. Anything else?

Apart from being too light I can't see any other aspect of cup balance mattering, unless you are doing Columbini's Can Can move (what a show). Then top heavy or otherwise will make a difference.

I would have pm'd you with this but your comments are useful to everyone. As for >18391 posts, I think you should get out more. All the best.

P
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the advantages of retirement is that I can spend time at the computer without it detracting from any necessary activities.

Regarding balance -- I am somewhat familiar with many of the books on knife throwing. I used to have three Tru-Bal throwing knives that were made by Harry McEvoy. I never put in the time to learn how to throw them right, though.

The main thing with cup balance is that the center of gravity should be somewhere near the vertical center of the cup, or just below it. Some of the traditional designs don't have this. You can tell where the cup balances by tossing it into the air and giving it a spin. It will spin around its center of gravity.

These cups http://69.89.31.132/~cupsandb/museum/showCup.php?id=1437 are definitely mouth heavy!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Wow! mouth heavy alright! I wouldn't go throwing them either, I don't think I'd like to be hit by one!
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
What I look for in cup balance is a heavy saddle. If I want to turn the cups mouth upward with the wand, or roll the cup back, I need a well balanced cup that is bottom heavy.
Of course, one of the greatest benefits of a bottom heavy or saddle heavy cup is what happens if you drop it! It is much better for the long term life of your cup if it hit the floor on its saddle side than on its mouth side. Mouth beads dent, even crack (I've seen this happen with older brass cups) or if the cup is a lighter guage of metal, you can even knock the cup out of round if it hits the floor mouth side down.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2127 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2009, Donnie Buckley wrote:
What I look for in cup balance is a heavy saddle. If I want to turn the cups mouth upward with the wand, or roll the cup back, I need a well balanced cup that is bottom heavy.
Of course, one of the greatest benefits of a bottom heavy or saddle heavy cup is what happens if you drop it! It is much better for the long term life of your cup if it hit the floor on its saddle side than on its mouth side. Mouth beads dent, even crack (I've seen this happen with older brass cups) or if the cup is a lighter guage of metal, you can even knock the cup out of round if it hits the floor mouth side down.

From day one I made sure all our cups were top heavy for that very reason, that was something people knew that's how I made our cups.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mikame Stainless Steel Cups (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL