The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Out of Stock (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mystification
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Anybody notice how some magic shops advertise items that they don't have in stock, and then don't have the decency to contact you and tell you? You wait, and wait, and finally contact them, only to be told it is on back-order.
Sucks!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3260 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have had this happen twice in the last week! From a major online dealer that is always running "special" discounts.
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Quote:
On 2009-08-07 17:40, Mystification wrote:
Anybody notice how some magic shops advertise items that they don't have in stock, and then don't have the decency to contact you and tell you? You wait, and wait, and finally contact them, only to be told it is on back-order.
Sucks!

yea and its annoying as hell. actually the shop I visit has been in the business for a long time and has a lot of history in the magic community but I will not say the name out of respect. But when I look at their site for an item they carry, have it. then go down to pick it up and don't have it in stock at the showroom. then try to push a diff product on my. Whats the point of advertising somthing if you don't stock it.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5387 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This is a real plague to the industry for both online dealers and brick and mortar shops. I know from some friends in the industry, that this is a problem for the dealers as well. So many not-so-honest businesses are advertising products that they don't have in stock that the honest dealers need to do the same just to compete. It's not right, and makes you want to stop buying simply out of frustration.

Some of the more reputable shops like one of my favorites, Stevens Magic, will only charge you when the out-of-stock product arrives and ships. Plus, they will be honest with you if you email or call them and ask them if it is in stock. Same with The Trickery (although I don't know about when they bill you). Other large dealers will simply take your money and let you wait.

The other plague is the dreaded Back Order. My local shop orders a lot of items for me from one of the larger wholesalers. More than once the wholesaler underestimated a product's popularity, and have understocked. Do they take the ad off their site? Of course not. They would rather you order it and wait for the back order...and this is no loss to me since no money has been passed. It's just plain annoying.

Arghhhhhhhhh.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
This happens quite a bit.
aechecop
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of aechecop
Sadly it is kind of the common practice around magic online stores... It is always a good practice to order online if there is some special going and then call them to verify availability right away. If not available or if in back order, most will give you the option of a refund if you ask.
tony660
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of tony660
Will not mention the shop here but I ordered the items are out of stock, and my credit card was charged weeks ago and still no order... I feel your pain....
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Happened to me once. They didn't show it was actually a back-order or pre-order. Well, you can either wait until they have it and ship it to you, or claim a refund.

Indeed, it is a shame.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
760 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I'm right there with you on this issue. I've had the worst luck with Hank Lee not having items in stock and not getting any communications from them.
Here is a story of the latest.
I placed an order for several items one of which was for a trick called Quarterstick. For those that don't know what this is it is a veriation of the flying quarters trick but instead of using two small cups the Quarterstick has a two small cups joined end to end and has a very distinct shape. The trick was put out by Cosmo Solano.
Hank Lee's sent out the balance of the order with a red sheet of paper whith a hand written note the Quarterstick was on backorder and should be received within 10 days.
About a week and a half went by and a package arrived in the mail, I opened it to find out the backorder was filled with a substitute item. They sent the Coin Funnel from Royal Magic, while the premise vaguely resembles what I ordered the look and size of the apparatus do not.
I was never made aware the item I wanted is not available and a substitute would be sent, shouldn't it be my choice if I would accept the substitute or receive a refund?
Poor business communications in my opinion...
Professor J. P. Fawkes
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
There is one major UK based magic dealer who actually shows the number of units in stock
against each item on their website. And he sure has a whole lotta stock! (allegedly!) However
in reality he doesn't! I recently ordered a DVD which was showing 136 units in stock (I told you
he said he carried a lot of stock). I waited 5 days before I phoned and chased my order...
Only to be told 'It has arrived today from our supplier - we will ship it out tonight'.
I guess I don't have to tell you I have never used them since and will never use them again.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
There's another problem at work here..

I'm a manufacturer. I'm a small business that has been flabbergasted at how many units of some items I've been able to sell.

Here's what's happened on more than one occasion. I've seen ads for MY products.. for sale on websites that have NEVER ORDERED FROM ME.

They want to post the ad to check the waters... and figure they'll order from me when orders come into them.

However.. I'm not always so far ahead on my manufacturing that I can immediately fill the orders I have, fill retail internet orders (which get first priority as they are my highest profit margin) and fill mysterious orders from dealers I've never dealt with before.

I try very hard to keep a few of everything in stock... but some stuff is simply hand made to order. When I get an order for two dozen.. sometimes it takes me by surprise and I have to spend time getting them finished, packed and sent. New dealers have to pay for it BEFORE it ships.. I don't offer 30 day accounts with dealers I don't have experience with.. and don't really offer it anyway except under special circumstances.

The dealers that advertise my stuff without buying stock in advance are the last ones serviced. Sometimes that takes a while. If they have back orders because they didn't stock an item BEFORE they advertised it, I have little sympathy. Warn me first.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
255 Posts

Profile of terrillific
I am upset about these dealers who advertise their products that are out of stock and they don’t tell their customers about it. I’ve ordered some products from them and they failed to communicate to me about it. I’m still looking for the right magic dealers who will provide good customer service.
mystrmagic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mystrmagic
I agree with you 100%. Interestingly, this seems to address your issue head on.

http://www.williamsmagic.com/index.php?m......ges_id=3

Notice their description of "special order" items.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
255 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Thanks for the link! I appreciate that description on ‘Special Order” items. They are right not to charge the customer until the product comes into their store.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Out of Stock (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL