The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sound System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3030 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Does anybody use any kind of a sound system when performing for birthday parties? Either for comic effect or other reason?

Im thinking my venues will be small, so I won't need to amplify my voice, however I know there are other applications for using a sound system.
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
I'm also interested in this question. I do not currently, but would like to.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I use a sound system whenever I am working with more than 10 kids. Because I have a funny show in which I talk a lot.

If I didn't use a mic, I would have to wait for the kids to finish laughing before I could start talking again.

I also sing to the kids and do games where I need songs.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I just got a small waist pack with a head set mike.

It was discontinued from Radio Shack.

3 watts and it puts out more sound than you would think.

It is not on their website.
I had to call a few local shops before I found one.

Jack Shea on SAMtalk first wrote about them.
I think they are called Voice Amplifiers.

It is especially helpful in my vent section of the Nearly Normal Show.

The box takes up only a small section of my show case.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Rowdymagic,

I too use a sound system although don't bring it that often for birthday parties. You'll probably find however as time goes on you will find yourself getting booked for larger events and you'll find the need for one, although a lot of places already have a mic system. The only thing I find is the majority of places don't have cordless mics and you really need to have your hands free and be able to walk around. I find a cordless mic works best or a headset.

A suggestion is to rent one first however, as this is what I found to be the most effective. At Christmas time, when I was hired to perform for several hundred kids ..definately need it then! If you rent them monthly it's far cheeper than if you rent it for the week and it works twofold you can see what kind of unit you prefer and if you really use it a lot. You can usually rent a system at any large music or band rental outfit.You can also decide what you like best..cordless mic or headset.

After a couple years of doing this, I finally settled on the one I liked. It was a large purchase costing several hundred dollars so it was worth checking it out first. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
This subject has been discussed before in other posts. I use a PA with a headset radio mic for every show no matter how many kids,

1, I get heard,
2, It's a good discipline aid, it's like a badge of authority and the kids tend to respond to it
3, I think if nothing else it adds a professional touch.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Sound systems and music was talked about a while ago below should be the link to that.
Best,
Ken
PS I use music and a sound system in EVERY show. It kills and it makes me stand out from the others in Atlanta who don't use it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1143 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Meeting up with Ken Scott and purchasing his video at Magi-Fest this year may have been one of the single best investments to improve my show.

I had been using my ShowTech in my adult stand-up act previously but never in my birthday party shows. After seeing Ken's video and discussing with him privately, I purchased an Anchor Liberty System which is a sound system built into one speaker. So I no longer have to worry about setting up a whole mixer and speakers in a birthday party living room. The Liberty sits right next to my suitcase table and takes up no more extra room. It also has a wireless mic receiver built into it as well.

Now when I get to a birthday party, I walk in with my suitcase table, make one more trip the car for my speaker and Showtech, plug it into the wall, open the suitcase table and I am ready to go.

As Ken said, it has helped me stand out from some of the other birthday party magicians in the area. It helps in booking the show as well.

Another shameless plug, but you really must check out Ken's video. Thanks Ken.

Michael
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Michael

Thanks!! Hey have you had any problems with your anchor wireless mic? Mine cuts out from time to time.

Hey I thought I would tell you, I bought another Showtech from Kerry the other day. I was having problems with mine (10 years old) , but I fixed it myself. I still went ahead a bought another one for a back up because the way I am using the music now days it is hard to do a show with out it.

Also I am using a NEW mic one called the countryman isomax E6. It is a tiny little mic that goes over my left ear only. It really is nice and sounds great.
Thanks again Michael.
Ken
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I am buying a radio mike for my larger shows but I can project my voice for most kid's parties!

I do occasionally use a little belt mike though.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<<<<but I can project my voice for most kid's parties!>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a very loud voice, but if you do 2-3 shows a day it can be a bit of a strain. That's another reason why I always use one.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I have a sound system but I only use it sometimes for birthday parties. As it's been said, it's good for use in big groups so that everyone can hear but I really only use my sound system at b-day parties when they are outside. Outdoors, there a lot of distractions and open space that you're voice is sure to get lost. Otherwise, it seems silly to bring in a booming mic when there are 8 kids sitting 3 feet away from you in someone's living room. Do you see what I'm saying? If you don't have a sound system, get one but use good judgement as to when you use it.

-Andini Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3030 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Can anybody tell me a good source for a sound system? I know of some local places that have good stuff, but are very high dollar, I would like to compare prices!

Thanks!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Try http://www.coomber.co.uk

Coombers aren't the best sound, but are brilliant for what we do as they are very portable and come with an optional built in radio mic reciever. You just plug it in and bob's your uncle. You can also get them with built inm Cassette player or CD player. They're used alot by Schools.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1143 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I would like to clarify my earlier post....if I am performing in a living room or somewhere for a birthday party, I bring along the Liberty System for the sole purpose of the music and gags I have on the Showtech. I don't use the microphone in that setting.

To me, once I started using music in my birthday party show (and all the little kids want to know how the music plays, which Ken has a great bit to learn from on his tape) it has earned me a lot of positive comments.

So, it's just for music at birthday parties, not voice projection.

Michael
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
rowdymagi5
I recommend going to ZZ Sounds, online store. They have all the Fender Passport PA's discounted at the moment. They also promise to beat any lower price you can find elsewhere. Plus they offer free shipping within the USA.
I would recommend the Fender Passport P150 as a good all round PA system you can use for private parties for larger venues with a few 100 people. I have the Fender P250. It is really overkill for most kids parties but I still use it for the bigger ones. You can get a separate Fender wireless microphone system which is very good. I have one. The Fender units also have a DC adapter system available which means you can power them off your car battery for outdoor shows. I have only used my battery adapter once so far. I was doing a show at a BBQ beach party with about 150 people outdoors. There was no electricity supply anywhere so I plugged my PA into my car battery. I could not have done that show without it. If you do outdoor shows that is definitely something so consider.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I turned up at a hall to do a 2-Hour party, The parents and all the guests arrived but the caretaker with the key never turned up. Luckily I always keep a walkman size minidisc player as backup so as it was a nice sunny day we had my coomber powered off my car battery, and the walkman supplying the music, we did the whole party in the car park of the community centre. The kids eat their food off the picnic tables at the side of the centre.
The booker was really chuffed, I'd saved the day.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm going to be investing in a sound system soon. I do get by on my voice but there have been a couple of occasions playing to large crowds and in places with terrible acoustics I've thought maybe life would be easier if I had a mic. Reading the words of the pros who do ,it seems you have all found a sound system very much to your advantage.
My worry is I do a lot of jumping around in my show with my circus skills etc. How restricting are microphones. Should I get one of the lapel ones or a madonnaesque headset?
Hope you can help oh wise ones.
george
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Head sets are very good for a lot of movement. A very good thing about them is that, they ussualy cause less feedback than the lapel ones.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I have the Fender headset system that plugs into their Passport PA's. I think the Madonna style headset is the way to go for ease of use & sound quality, especially if you a lot of jumping around.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sound System (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL