The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wallet that works for Chronologue - Suggestions Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
If you use jumbocards, you don´t have to use wallet at all. Bob Cassidy tells that on his DVD Mental Miracles. I have tried wallets like Miller miracle wallet and some envelopes but best reactions comes with jumbocards.

Pete
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Pete,
I have been doing Chronologue for years & never used usec Jumbo cards.
Will try it next time as I have used the standard method.
Charlie
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Plenty of good tips and information. Thanks everybody.
Regards,
Silverthorne
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Ok... I have another Chronologue question. How do you handle the Feb 29th date? Just write it in on the calendar?
Regards,
Silverthorne
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 09:41, charliemagic wrote:
Pete,

Yes. I highly recomend you to try. After that you can do it with small parlour sets or huge stages. And... It just looks better when you just take card out from you pocket.

Quote:
On 2009-08-15 12:22, QuailCreek wrote:
Ok... I have another Chronologue question. How do you handle the Feb 29th date? Just write it in on the calendar?

I don´t handle it. I just say, there is no 29th of february so you have to change your. And if there is, then just use it like any other day. Really that simple.

Pete
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
The stealth assassin wallet from Peter Nardi would be great for a multi out utility. It's a little dearer but you also get a 2 p**k compartments, a SUC, an OTL section and a b****t i***x compartment. You can easily fit your outs inside it. Not too mention the 2 instructional DVD's that come with it.

You can get one over at

http://www.alakazam.co.uk

Daniel Nicholls
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Here's a question for those who have the routine from the book - how much does knowing the date in advance add to the effect?
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
I have been doing this for years with 2 himber wallets inside my case or left inner jacket pocket. I show the card at the start and go into the effect. I personally feel that one should NOT look through the diary...why? To show someone HOW to do that? I believe most know how to look through one. Yes, it can go by unknoticed, but for me it is not necessary.

Learning that there is a 4 way wallet out, has been for me, a great break through. I do not want to use envalopes or jumbo cards. Using a wallet goes with my character and makes sense because I make it make sense. You may present it with jumbo cards and envelopes...great. Magicky suspicion is generated when I use those items in MY show. Left out in the open with showing a card in the wallet is my hopes for the new 4 way wallet. Very clean.

We'll see when it comes in. My 2 himber wallets are falling apart.

Maybe someone is using this with an elegant deck that reveals a card upside down?

It is good to hear how many are doing this great routine.

-Scott
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 17:06, pete wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 09:41, charliemagic wrote:
Pete,

Yes. I highly recomend you to try. After that you can do it with small parlour sets or huge stages. And... It just looks better when you just take card out from you pocket.

Pete,

I absolutely agree with you. I've been using jumbo cards for a couple of years now and it's the only way to go. I use it this way for both close-up and stage.

Quote:
On 2009-08-16 06:32, Mark Powell wrote:
Here's a question for those who have the routine from the book - how much does knowing the date in advance add to the effect?

Knowing the date in advance is important. The prediction is right there, out in the open. When it comes time for the reveal, there's nothing extra going on, all you have to do is turn the card over and it looks like the card was out there from the start.
Quote:
On 2009-08-16 09:45, Scott M wrote:
I personally feel that one should NOT look through the diary...why? To show someone HOW to do that? I believe most know how to look through one. Yes, it can go by unknoticed, but for me it is not necessary.

Regarding looking through the diary, the motivation isn't to show them how to do that, the motivation is to show that there is, in fact, different cards written in on different days. It's not intended to go past everyone, and is important to point out that each day does have different cards. I show the diary around. In stage show I want several people in the front to see it so that the spectator I'm working with isn't the only one seeing it.

Now you can be super casual handling the diary and not look for a target date and instead use a crib. I've done this in the past. Then I never look at the diary.

The idea for the crib came about when I wanted to eliminate the cards and wanted to present the effect as mind reading instead of a prediction. They concentrated on the card on that date and I read their mind, writing down the name of the card instead of revealing the card.

I personally like using the cards more than presenting it as mind reading. While the reaction is about the same, the cards, especially jumbo cards, adds more visual interest.
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
Domino,

Great thoughts into the path of finding out what has worked for you. What is important to you reveals your thoughts of how you present your entertainment to those who watch.

For example, it is not important for me to show the diary when I TOLD them what I did in marking cards on dates of this diary. This is my preferance, that they believe what I tell them...they have no reason NOT to if I am consistant. This is just a refinement for my 'super casual' presentational style. Smile

Your research into why you do or do not use a crib is interesting in how you want to present this effect...I like that part of what you do. That is why I come to the Café, as I can learn from this in haveing options for what I perform.

There is something about Chronologue that blows people away regardless of how it is performed. I may use the jumbo cards if my 4 way wallet doesn't live up to its expectation..who knows. It is a BOLD move! And in reading that, maybe I am cautious of DOING that move and would rather present with a wallet it to avoid that.

-Scott M.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I don't like the use of Jumbo Cards. I think the Miller Miracle Wallet would be the way to go with this.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
It really comes down to preference. There's no wrong way to do it. This is such a strong effect that any of the ways described here will work. I primarily do this routine on stage and when you're in front of several hundred people, you want to person in the back to see the card as clearly as the person in the front.

It's important to understand what you're trying to achieve. For me, I have the card out way before the spectator says the name of the card. There it is, just waiting to be turned around. That to me is visually very strong.

The use of the jumbo card implies it can't be switched or manipulated and it's such an absurd size that it would be impossible to have an entire deck of them on me.

Another point, in which I touched on earlier is that the jumbo card adds some visual interest to my act. I already do so much where it's just me. This is something completely different.

Again, there is no one way to go with this that will fit everyone. Understand what you want the effect to look like to the audience, understand WHY and build the effect from there.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 12:22, QuailCreek wrote:

If you use Birthday Books instead of diaries - the 29th Feb will be in there. Otherwise, just perform it every four years! Smile

(Word of warning: If you do decide to use birthday books - AVOID those with eight days to a double page spread. I shouldn't have to state the obvious reason.)
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Roger,
I'm not familiar with the birthday books. Can you please tell me more?
Regards,
Silverthorne
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 10:50, QuailCreek wrote:
Roger,
I'm not familiar with the birthday books. Can you please tell me more?

They are very similar to diaries but are not year specific. Aspinal's of London do some beautiful leather bound ones but are expensive. There are cheaper ones available, some of which include a load of baloney that makes no sense to me - (horoscopes I think they're called.)

Have a google around or an Ebay search. (I use two which feature six days to a view.)

The beauty of these is that you are set up for ever without having to prepare two diaries each year!
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
QC,

A birthday book is a year-less, weekday-less (perpetual of a sort) calendar. Often they are pocket diary sized, with a two or more days per double page spread. Each day has space enough to write several names of people with a birthday on that date. Often there's also a fortune or aphorism per day as well. A google search will give you lots of examples for sale.

Edit: Roger beat me to it!
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Nice alternative guys. I appreciate you sharing your experience.
Regards,
Silverthorne
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2009-08-08 16:49, Eric Samuels wrote:
You're very welcome. When I came across the calendars, I suspected that I wasn't the only one looking for such an item. Turns out I was right, and just about all the calendars I had (over 50 of them) are gone.

Although some people claim it looks unusual, I like the Miller Miracle Wallet. It's the cleanest 4-way wallet (currently on the market) that I've come across. Hank Lee is selling them, but they are from a new manufacturer, not EvilDan, and the quality is inferior. try to find a used EvilDan version if you can.

BTW, I have devised a Chronologue method that doesn't require this step (multiple-out wallet). A few Café members have now seen the routine. I'll have to leave it at that! Smile

e

After doing some research, I found that Eric is 100% correct about the Hank Lee stocked Miller Miracle wallet.

Hank bought knock offs from someone else. As Eric said, the knock offs are inferior to EvilDan's work. EvilDan owns the rights plain and simple.

EvilDan has been in touch with Hank and they were able to resolve the issue.

I would suggest that if anyone orders one from hank, you insist on an Evildan one and not the ripoff.

Best advice? Order it directly from EvilDan.

evildan@prodigy.net
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
I am glad to know Evil Dan has the rights and I followed my heart and ordered mine from him...can not wait for it to come in.

-Scott M
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
I don't know....

For $5.00 I've got two identical pocket diaries.

For about 30 minutes worth of work I have a hand printed pair of gaffed diaries.

For about $0.50 I've got some scanned/lamanated A5 size cards.

Is a wallet gaffed or no, or a diary with an evelope in the back really worth the additional $$ to basically re-invent the wheel?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wallet that works for Chronologue - Suggestions Please (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL