The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Needed: Advice for buying a new laptop computer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 22:01, Voldemort wrote:

Pc's outsell Mac's everyday. The last I heard less than 10% of all computers sold in the world are Macs.

Which, as a Mac owner, is a reason to celebrate. The reason why Macs are generally "safer" is because it's more time efficient to write code to screw with PC's. Personally, I don't want Macs to be any more popular than they already are. Just food for thought. Don't buy a mac.
What would Wavy do?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite (3rd Toshiba) and I like it! My son installed all the safety stuff and removed all the Vista idiot pop ups so I can surf around without being bothered with a bunch of "ARE YOU SURE" type messages!

It does everything I want and need it to and it was very reasonably priced (I don't recall the price). It has the wireless feature which is great for when I'm on the road and it plays DVD's just fine so I'm a happy guy!

MMc
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 08:17, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I bought a new Gateway Laptop computer last December. Paid close to $900.00

I had to send it back in March (froze up, wouldnt do anything--they called it the "Blue Screen of Death")

They said I must have gotten a virus even though I had Norton Anti-virus on it and never get online with it, actually never had internet at all with it.

Anyway, they had to replace the dard drive and the memory. I lost everything that was on it.

A friend bought a Gateway just like mine, had it 9 months and he too had the same problem. I cant reccommend Gateway!

One of my better jobs, I used to visit with the computer wizard in his lair. I told him I was getting a low-end computer, he said he didn't care what I got as long as it did what I wanted and wasn't a Gateway! He was adamant about that! He hated Gateway with a passion. Since he was a guy who could work in code and wiring, I took him at his word!

Incidently, what share would Windows have if Microsoft had decided it had to sell each computer that was going to run its system? I've never understood why Jobs did that, but it's his system and he's entitled.

I miss my old PowerMac!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 13:36, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Cohiba, I didn't state the magic community doesn't know what it's talking about. I said that most of the opinions given in this thread come from people that have no idea what they're talking about. Nice try though, but you have to get up early in the morning to catch me.

Speaking of people giving duff advice:

Quote:
I bought a new Gateway Laptop computer last December. Paid close to $900.00

I had to send it back in March (froze up, wouldnt do anything--they called it the "Blue Screen of Death")

They said I must have gotten a virus even though I had Norton Anti-virus on it and never get online with it, actually never had internet at all with it.

Anyway, they had to replace the dard drive and the memory. I lost everything that was on it.

A friend bought a Gateway just like mine, had it 9 months and he too had the same problem. I cant reccommend Gateway!

Virus very rarely cause BSOD. More often it is a fault with hardware or drivers. Even if it was a 'virus' you could simply reload the whole system and the problem would be gone. No need to replace anything. Either tech support are feeding you lies, or you are misunderstanding them or maybe even both.

It's also the type of anecdotal evidence that isn't much use on its own. Especially seeing you don't even know what your own problem was, never mind that your friend has the same 'problem'. Perhaps you do both have the same problem, but I don't think it's computer related.

Again, this prove my point... ratio between sound advice and advice from people that struggle with the on/off switch is going to be pretty weak if you ask on a magic forum. Why don't you ask a forum full of laptop enthusiasts. You could even run an experiment in the off topic sections of the computer forum.... ask they what card trick you should buy next.

Still, I hope you find your answer somewhere.

Davit:

Good points throughout your post!

I was giving you a hard time. You are correct of course.

I'm not even going to try to catch you. :o)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Here you go. I knew I'd find it one of these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixQE496Pcn8
Ain't life unkind?"
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 10:18, Cohiba wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 02:07, Voldemort wrote:
Here you go.

Simple question and a simple answer.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_use_mac_computers

I was close. I said less than 10%. Its actually 7%.

Sorry.

V.

Since when did consensus = reality? Almost all of the population once believed the world was flat. Apple's growth is impressive.

Sorry.

Check Macs numbers. Not Apple's. The numbers for the mac have been roughly the same since 2006.

We aren't talking about Apple as a whole. Ipods and Iphones are not computers.

"Since when did consensus = reality?"

What? That statment sounds as if it was made by someone living outside reality. Or in denile. Why do you think that not as many people buy Macs? The consensus is the reality my friend. Very few like a mac.

7% is not a consensus... Its an outright statment.

Why would hackers even bother with 7% of the market? If the Ipod and Iphone are any indication, Hacking a Mac should be easy. Anyone ever hear the term "Jailbreak"? Now as I said before, compairing Ipod and Iphone to Mac is unfair. But why srcew with 7% of the people when you can screw with 93% of the people.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3344 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Davit,

You are right, I don't really know much about computers. This is a forum and we are all just having some fun, giving our experiences, and opinions. So chill out a little. No need being rude. Rule of thumb, talk to people the same as you would to their face. Just an idea.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 04:33, Voldemort wrote:

Really? They must be the most incredible example of mechanical clockwork engineering that ever existed then! Smile
(I guess that would explain this.)
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 11:22, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Davit,

You are right, I don't really know much about computers. This is a forum and we are all just having some fun, giving our experiences, and opinions. So chill out a little. No need being rude. Rule of thumb, talk to people the same as you would to their face. Just an idea.

I know my post could be taken to be a little rude. I'm afraid that while I didn't write it with the intention of being rude or nasty, I didn't take great pains to make my point a little more fluffy.

I also write in the knowledge that while I may be one of the more knowledgable about computers here, I'm also far from all knowing. I know you were only trying to give advice.

When it comes to other people spending their money after listening to bad (but well meaning) advice - I refuse to chill out. No matter how well meaning the advice or anecdote - if it is imo misleading or flat out wrong I refuse to stay silent on the matter. I hope many others here feel the same.

I don't talk to people on here as if I was talking to them face to face. The reason why? I'm not talking to them face to face. If we were all having this conversation face to face I would have pulled a confused face, maybe silently mouthed to everyone else that you were chatting breeze, before imparting my own advice.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 04:33, Voldemort wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 10:18, Cohiba wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 02:07, Voldemort wrote:
Here you go.

Simple question and a simple answer.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_use_mac_computers

I was close. I said less than 10%. Its actually 7%.

Sorry.

V.

Since when did consensus = reality? Almost all of the population once believed the world was flat. Apple's growth is impressive.

Sorry.

Check Macs numbers. Not Apple's. The numbers for the mac have been roughly the same since 2006.

"Since when did consensus = reality?"

What? That statment sounds as if it was made by someone living outside reality. Or in denile. Why do you think that not as many people buy Macs? The consensus is the reality my friend. Very few like a mac.

7% is not a consensus... Its an outright statment.

Why would hackers even bother with 7% of the market? If the Ipod and Iphone are any indication, Hacking a Mac should be easy. Anyone ever hear the term "Jailbreak"? Now as I said before, compairing Ipod and Iphone to Mac is unfair. But why srcew with 7% of the people when you can screw with 93% of the people.

V.

So are you saying consensus = reality? There's been many times in history when that has been proven to not be the case. My point was only that just because everybody says it's the thing to do, doesn't mean it's right.

I'm not trying to force Mac's on anyone. I could care less what people use. I simply offered it as something to consider.

Not long ago, I was of the opinion of the majority - that Mac's only had one button on their mouse, that it would be a pain to learn how to use them, that they didn't have any good software. After buying a brand new top of the line PC and having it run like my 6 year old one, I brought it back, asked for a refund, and swapped it for a Mac (at the urging of a friend who was ecstatic over his first, relatively new Mac). Note: even with his urging, I still originally opted for the PC because of my preconceived notions - which I learned from the majority. It was only after I was dissatisfied with the new PC that I decided to take his advice. I've been very pleased with my Mac, and it is now my opinion that the majority is incorrect in their understanding of things. For me personally, the Mac has been a sweet investment.

I don't think anyone really knows why there's no Mac virus' - whether it's a better computer, or just not targeted. Both sides make their points. Personally, I don't care. I just like the fact that I haven't had to deal with anything in the past 1.5 years, and have no antivirus slowing my machine down.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 08:07, Davit Sicseek wrote:
It's pretty clear that most of the comments in this thread come from people that don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, I can see how someone can find that rude. I did.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 23:12, Cohiba wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 22:59, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
The last I heard less than 10% of all computers sold in the world are Macs.

That small sliver of computers sold belongs to Apple thanks to schools, libraries, folks that don't know how to operate more than one mouse button, folks that buy 'em for status symbols due to higher price, increased security only because of the fact that it's worth a hackers time to infiltrate the 90% and not the 10%, and blind fanatics. Smile

Doug:

I just had to respond to the single button comment - Mac's have two buttons just like PC's.

It was a joke, in the past Macs used to only have one button.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 04:10, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 23:12, Cohiba wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 22:59, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
The last I heard less than 10% of all computers sold in the world are Macs.

That small sliver of computers sold belongs to Apple thanks to schools, libraries, folks that don't know how to operate more than one mouse button, folks that buy 'em for status symbols due to higher price, increased security only because of the fact that it's worth a hackers time to infiltrate the 90% and not the 10%, and blind fanatics. Smile

Doug:

I just had to respond to the single button comment - Mac's have two buttons just like PC's.

It was a joke, in the past Macs used to only have one button.

When I had the PowerMac at work, Jobs was toying with a "no button" mouse. You pressed the entire mouse down to click on something.
Ain't life unkind?"
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
The mouse I have can work that way. When you press down on the mouse, the whole thing moves up and down.

The whole top surface is only one piece of plastic, so an uninformed person would probably assume it's only one button. (I did before I knew better.) However, it knows whether you are pressing on the right or left (or both / mouse wheel), and reacts accordingly, assuming you set your mouse up to be used as one button or two. If you set it up for use as a one button, then you press a button on the keyboard at the same time for right-click.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I am a computer customer service person and I have no freakin' clue. I will say when or if you go with AT&T for DSL, phone, cell phone, or the great U-Verse services or upgrades make sure to tell them that you want to reference UID sv754u and you'll get better service (not really but I'll get an attaboy).
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Apple's latest innovation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh, the Onion. I hate those guys.

Not really, but they can get annoying. And there are some ignorant people (not you balducci) who have actually posted their information as if it were truthful and bolstered their own arguments.

I love this one. Someone actually "steampunked" a Mac! This is a double irony because of the whole "clean white lines" design of the Macintosh.

I wish I had the talent and patience to be able to do something like this.

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/03/steampunk-mac-mini.html
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Needed: Advice for buying a new laptop computer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL