The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jacquin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Many of you will know Anthony from the Café, and some will have his "Reality is Plastic" book. So what's he offering in this DVD, and what's different to the book?
Well, the 4 DVD set (count 'em - that's 4 DVDs, all over 1 hour long) is aimed at getting magicians & mentalists to DO hypnosis. Not think about it. Not understand the science (such as it is) of hypnosis. NOT to be a therapist. And to a certain extent, not to do stage routines (although I would personally argue these are EASIER than the impromptu, bar or street based skits done here).
It's also about giving you the confidence to START DOING hypnosis - a big issue for many magi out there I'm sure.
Disc 1 covers how to approach a group, how to 'open' it, get started with with some failsafe stunts (or "Set pieces" as Anthony calls them - again reflecting a personal style which is refreshingly different from the majority of hypnosis treatises, with their erudite use of jargon, etc) and 2 inductions, which as it turns out are practically the same (and that is NOT a criticism). Magicians & mentalists (& Venusian artists) generally will benefit from this discussion, whether or not you ever do any hypnosis.
Disc 2 gives Anthony's thoughts on 'deepening' trance - although again you'll find his thoughts refreshing on this, along with some live performances.
Disc 3 has specific effects, with disc 4 dealing with common sense, health & safety and more live performances.

The live sequences are very interesting too; largely unedited, some take place in noisy bars with groups of young adults - a scenario that would personally terrify me! Yet even with the need to shout, and manage an unselected group, the guys work and whittle away to leave a sizeable group of responders that is both encouraging and impressive. Also on display is the use of subtle 'outs' if a suggestion is not taken - again, just the thing you need to assuage any fears about trying this tsuff in the real world with real people.

SO is there anything different here? Well, I own and have read all the classic texts (both therapeutic and entertainment ones) and to a certain extent, I know all this stuff. Yet seeing it used in the manner of this DVD has energised and inspired me to use it more often in pub and street settings. It's an extraordinary display of simple, workable techniques, and it ditches a lot of the usual theory and jargon for practical experience.

In short, I loved it - one of the best purchases this year!
Steve Murray

Conflict of interest: I've met Anthony once at Tabula Mentis, and he's a super nice guy. However, he has not asked me to review his work, and I've received no incentives etc. I pre-ordered the set from Alakazam with my own hard-earned!
[
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thanks for the review. I am waiteing for this to arrive and am getting very anxious now more then ever. Again thanks for the review.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I guess it is now time to start watching the mail box.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Docsteve:

Does Manchurian Approach take the place of Reality is Plastic. if I were to get one over the other which would you suggest?

--JD
DustinF
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DustinF
Thanks for the review. I am really looking forward to getting this. I have been doing mentalism for a while and I have always wanted to add some hypnotism with it. This seems like exactly what I have been looking for.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 21:50, jondark445 wrote:
Docsteve:

Does Manchurian Approach take the place of Reality is Plastic. if I were to get one over the other which would you suggest?

--JD

Depends on what your performance genre is I guess; as a magician/mentalist I would go straight to the DVD -the live performances, and repeated watching of inductions (poor Chris harding!) really help give confidence & cement the scripts/ideas.
Hope that helps
Steve
[
Wanderer2
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Wanderer2
So can you learn how to do hypnosis starting from nothing with this DVD, or is this more for people who already know hypnosis and want to be better?
jessewjoseph
View Profile
New user
California
82 Posts

Profile of jessewjoseph
@Wanderer, I haven't seen the dvd yet, but the book is a very good read/reference... I'd say get it too if you can, although for a magician, the dvd should be a sufficient starting point.

@Steve, how come you got to see it alread! I wanna see it! No fair!!!!
sleightofand
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
188 Posts

Profile of sleightofand
I haved only watched the first disc and have found it to be very enjoyable and interesting. I am also reading reality is plastic alongside it. I can't wait to start to test these new skills out.
Wanderer2
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Wanderer2
How long would you it takes on average to be able to learn and perform hypnotism?
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 12:54, Wanderer2 wrote:
How long would you it takes on average to be able to learn and perform hypnotism?

Depending on your level of confidence, and the ability to talk reasonably clearly, you could do it right now.
Particularly on stage.
[
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Hi Doc Steve,

many thanks for the review, I am glad you have found value in it.

To answer some of the other questions, Reality is Plastic was not written with magicians in mind. However it has proved very popular with them as the techniques are simple and flexible and seem to dovetail into a magicians skill set well.

The DVD covers a similar approach to doing the hypnotizing bit but then gets into how magicians can make use of the phenomena.

Both products assume no prior knowledge of hypnosis and take you from the approach to wake up. You will be able to hypnotise after absorbing the material.

If you have any questions about the material or approach feel free to ask here or contact me direct.

Thanks

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
sleightofand
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
188 Posts

Profile of sleightofand
I did a few tests in a pub last night to much success. Now to try the next levels.
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
341 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 09:35, sleightofand wrote:
I did a few tests in a pub last night to much success. Now to try the next levels.

Nice to read you tried it with succes. I now had time to watch the first two dvd's from the set and had read RIP before. Didn't have the guts to try it yet though. But I know eventually I will.
I really like this dvd set and it is a nice addition to RIP. The demonstrations are very entertaining and sometimes hilarious. I know all I have to do is go out and give it a try.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Good on you sleightofand! Glad to hear you have had success with the approach.

Bart, you are right of course, all you need do is give it a try. If I can help in anyway let me know. I have Manchurian Courses in Germany and Austria this year if interested. Part of the course involves getting out amongst the public and taking the plunge.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
WayneL
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of WayneL
How easy it is for someone who never performed hypnosis?
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
If you've never performed hypnosis before then this is the perfect place to start. Anthony even goes over a variety of "outs" which you could use if the hypnosis isn't hitting home as hard as you like.

This set really is fantastic and is well worth anyone with even a fleeting interest in hypnosis picking up. I also highly reccomend Anthony's book "Reality is Plastic" which is a brilliantly written work and makes a great companion to the set.

Again well worth every penny.
Dan
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
tomacker
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of tomacker
This sounds really good. Mixing hypnosis and mentalism is a powerfull science Smile
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Hi,

Just two words - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Is there an age limit this should be for like, at least 18 or not???
Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jacquin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL