The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jacquin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
677 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Thanks for share information, I'm very very interested with this DVD
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Anyone have know where you can info on the laws/insurance for these kinds of performances?

--JD
Harry Guinness
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Harry Guinness
Depends on where you are. But whatever you do, don't take Jonathon Royle/Alex Smith/Alex Leroy/Who ever he is today's word on it.
www.hypno-help.blogspot.com: Signup for the newsletter to get awesome free stuff.

"Harry knows what he's talking about and gives it to you with no filler. I'd give it a 9.5/10." Tyler Kerner
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 11:57, gjmagic wrote:
Hi,

Just two words - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

All the best,

Gary Jones.


Just 3 words- ABSOLUTELY BLOODY BRILLIANT!

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Oh yes, this is awesome. Brilliant job, Anthony and Alakazam. Well done!
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Agreed Brilliant dvd set, Really have enjoyed watching this. Really like this
dblast
View Profile
New user
Dan
54 Posts

Profile of dblast
I am finding the Manchurian interesting I just bought it yesterday and I am on disk two, but I have the nagging feeling that when people are asked to do the silly things they are playing along for whatever reason. Either they want to or feel embarrassed not to. I find the instant induction to be hard to believe. I want to believe it because it is fascinating but it looks hokey. Often when watching mass stage hypnosis demonstrations I see people in the group that are so over the top they seem to be closet exhibitionists that play along for their minute of fame.

Has anyone actually be put under with these methods and could maybe clarify the experience? It's looking to me like psychological subterfuge instead of actually communicating with another persons subconscious, in other words the other person wants to play along so badly they would do it either normally or under the excuse of being hypnotized (which they may not be).

Again I'm not bashing it just looking for a normal person that has this has been applied to. Granted I may not think you are normal if you tell me you were hypnotically convinced to drop your pants and cluck like a chicken though.

I find Derren Brown the more fascinating of this type of performer because often you can go back and actually see how he used verbal Judo to get results which clipped right by you until you looked for it. Unfortunatly I could only find Derren's lecture which comprised mainly of performances and some tips but not actual methodology. With the plethora of NLP stuff out there I opted to check out Manchurian first but I have my reservations.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Dblast, hypnosis often works on a multiple reality model. The experience for the subject is different6 for the practitioner and it is yet again different for the rest of the audience. If asked the question of "is hypnosis real?" I would happily say yes BUT add that it is real in a very different way as opposed to mind control, etc. You're more of a director and guide of sorts (for lack of better terms). Believe it or not, Derren Brown uses the ideas of hypnosis and NLP not to actually achieve his effects but instead he uses them as red herrings to mask the actual method (which much of the time is trickery in the sense of magic and mentalism).
dblast
View Profile
New user
Dan
54 Posts

Profile of dblast
Thanks, I have to say though I am on disk 3 and after some of the performances I am not impressed. Amit seemed to simply rush through and I saw many people he put under peek, make confused facial expressions. These he eventually weeded out. Until he came upon about five that looked like they would have done whatever he asked without hypnosis.

I believe in hypnosis but so far the stage hypnosis looks like nothing more than choosing the people that will play along.

I understand Derren Brown uses some of the NLP as a red herring, but his power of influence is amazing. I'm sure you've seen him force a card with comments like 'imagine a BRIGHT' colored card as he makes a diamond shape with his hands. This aspect fascinates me. Using language, phraseology and body gestures to elicit a certain response.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Yes, I've seen Derren's work. I have Devil's Picturebook lying around somewhere. Dblast, I still don't feel that you understand how stage hypnosis really works. It's not like therapeutic hypnosis sessions. For stage/entertainment hypnosis you ARE indeed weeding folks out. You have folks that would giggle and basically look like they are not hypnotized at all (which obviously, they are not) however it is the performer's job to not let that ruin the show. Your spiel in the beginning before you even have subjects come up is to explain clearly that not everyone can be put under. It's quite hard to explain because as I've mentioned before, you essentially have three VERY different effects going on at the same time. There is the experience that the subject is having, your experience of giving them the directions/guidance, and lastly (which is more or less the most important aspect) the experience which the REST of your audience will have. You have to understand that it is not mind control, you are just guiding them and the rest of the work is really up to your subjects. Best way in my opinion to learning hypnosis is to actually have hypnosis done on you first by a good operator. After you have experienced being hypnotized you will have a much better understanding of what is going on in the mind of the subject. With this knowledge you will be better equipped at, for a lack of a better term, manipulating them through hypnosis. That is essentially what you are doing, you have the knowledge of what they SHOULD be feeling and you use that to your advantage in order to have them go "under" and essentially follow your directions. When learning hypnosis it is always taught that hypnosis is a state of mind in which a person is hyper-aware and thus they are susceptible to suggestions. This state of hyper-awareness and suggestibility sounds like mind control of sorts but in reality it's a very very very different thing which is extremely hard to understand unless you have experience that kind of state of mind.

Derren Brown's power of influence IS amazing but a lot of it you can tell that he learned from NLP/hypnosis. He uses it as both red herrings AS WELL as adding that extra level of impact. Someone once told me about this magician who would tell his audience during walk around gigs to clap and go really crazy if the trick he is about to show them was the BEST trick that they have ever seen. This works on two levels, first, most people haven't seen a half decent effect in their lives, second, he's basically telling them what to feel and what to remember. This is on many levels the power of suggestion in which much of hypnosis is based off of.

Finally, to reiterate, there's three main things to fully learn and understand before one can truly have a full grasp of hypnosis. One must learn what hypnosis IS, what hypnosis IS NOT, and ultimately they must be hypnotized first in order for them to fully understand what it is exactly that they are doing.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Just purchased this DVD set today. Excellent, excellent, excellent. To the point and taught PROPERLY. I've gone through half of disc one, personally it's nothing really new to me but I MUST applaud Anthony Jacquin on his EXCELLENT teaching and more importantly PROPER teaching. I'm a very big fan of Sleight of Mind as the material in that book is taught in a similar vein to how the material on Manchurian Approach is being taught. In other words, the real world explanations is explained directly and expertly in a clear and concise manner. I can't see how this material can be taught in a better fashion by anyone else ever after this. There has always been an issue with magicians understanding hypnosis and about what it really is and how it really works. I suspect that most of the time the reason may quite possibly be that magician's are ultimately conditioned by their craft in which they see things in the context of trickery where there is a cause and effect that is accomplished through a sure-fire method. When it comes to a subject such as hypnosis where there ARE no props and if one was to think about it, there really are no clearly defined sure-fire methods, it's basically a very hard concept to understand. On one side we have things which will work due to a clearly defined and tangible method while on the other side we have what amounts to success based mainly on ones ability to comprehend the how pieces/elements work together while all the pieces/elements are not physically tangible or visible. This stuff is very much like working out a complex puzzle that only exists in ones mind.

I absolutely applaud Anthony Jacquin and Alakazam for releasing the Manchurian Approach. Though I've only watched just over an hour of the first disc, it's already explained the premise and the approach MUCH better than volumes of texts and tapes I've had the pleasure to study. I doubt that my opinion of the Manchurian Approach will change for the negative if I was to watch the rest of the set but of course, if it does I will not hesitate to share it with you all. In the study of hypnosis for mentalists, magicians, and aspiring hypnotists, the Manchurian Approach ranks high up there along with Sleight of Mind and Igor Ledochowski's Conversational Hypnosis audio series.

***Note about Igor Ledochowski's Conversational Hypnosis. If there are those of you who wish to dive deeper into the field of hypnotism, Conversational Hypnosis is an EXCELLENT resource to learn language patterns as well as inflections. It's actually a gold mine for learning the language patterns, inflections, as well as the logic, psychology, and a bit of science behind hypnosis.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
My review.

Background: I have been fascinated by hypnosis for a long time and am a very good subject having participated as a subject many times. I've been looking to develop my understanding and ability of the hypnotists side for a long time. I was wary of any "coursework" on a DVD but the fact that Alakazam recommended it convinced me.

Response: This is a *terrific* introduction to practical hypnosis. It impressed me so much I *then* bought the book. I think both are valuable. I believe you could learn to be a hypnotist from either, but seeing it done definitely helps your confidence level and confidence, as I have learned, is *key*.

I watched the first DVD twice, then took my wife through the set pieces and all the way into a successful induction. (She's done hypno-therapy, which definitely helps. Any subject who already knows where they are going is easier to lead there.) Having done this much my confidence is strong enough now to take her farther next time we practice.

If you go down this road, however, prepare to have some possibly well cherished notions challenged. Hypnotism is both more and less then most of us commonly believe it to be.

But for anyone who seriously wants to learn how to entertain with hypnosis, this is a great DVD set and I highly recommend both it and his book "reality is plastic". Reality is plastic goes into more techniques then the DVD does and makes a great compliment. It also covers more of the background and history of hypnosis which I believe is very useful.

A last comment on a related note. I'm also a fan of Darren Brown. He is very upfront with the fact that his performances are a mix of suggestion and magic. The fact of the matter, however, is that there is more magic in suggestion and suggestion in performance magic then even most magicians realize. With what I have learned I very much see them as two sides of the same coin, and the fact is they compliment each other very well.

Oh, and at least in his book, Darren Brown says upfront that NLP is bullcarp;)
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2009-08-31 02:54, kissdadookie wrote:

***Note about Igor Ledochowski's Conversational Hypnosis. If there are those of you who wish to dive deeper into the field of hypnotism, Conversational Hypnosis is an EXCELLENT resource to learn language patterns as well as inflections. It's actually a gold mine for learning the language patterns, inflections, as well as the logic, psychology, and a bit of science behind hypnosis.


I went to amazon, but the only Conversational Hypnosis I could find was by Carol Sommer. I did find The Deep Trance Training Manual: Hypnotic Skills by Igor Ledochowski. Which did you mean?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 17:06, jondark445 wrote:
Anyone have know where you can info on the laws/insurance for these kinds of performances?

--JD

Google is your friend...

This looks like a pretty reputable document:

http://www.ngh.net/Downloads/statelawguide.pdf

Pay close attention to the per-state listings as state laws vary. In general by my reading unless you claim to be performing therapy you are generally okay as far as licensing goes. As far as law suits, well no one in the US is immune to being sued. I am not a lawyer, but I think if you stick to reasonably harmless suggestions and always end with the "feel good" suggestions you will be mostly okay.

It IS possible for subjects to have ab-reactions. Its rare but it happens if you trip over an old trauma. Reality is Plastic discusses nicely how to handle these. (The worst possible thing to do in the situation is panic yourself. So I'd advise reading it over and get comfortable with it. Use your own imagination to prepare yourself by practicing what you would do in that situation.)
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
He has a audio course available. If you google it you will find it either called Covert Hypnosis or Conversational Hypnosis. The ad-copy for it is the most ridiculous thing to ever read but the material is excellent if you want to get deeper into hypnosis. Basically much of it is pretty applicable in the therapy room but the language patterns and inflections are very useful and he basically speaks that way throughout the entire course. By the time you finish listening to all the volumes it's quite near impossible to NOT start imitating the patterns. I feel that's one of the most valuable things about the series, being able to listen to him talk throughout using those techniques. It's one thing to read about language patterns out of the pages of hypnosis books but it's not completely clear and understandable until you listen to them being used.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2009-09-01 13:51, kissdadookie wrote:
He has a audio course available.


terrific, thanks Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
The OTHER way to avoid trouble, btw, is to stay very sensitive to your subject. Where they are, what makes them comfortable or uncomfortable. It also makes you a better hypnotist

Joaquin's "Manchurian" style involves a lot of asking for permission. This is not bad thing from a legal perspective as well as a performance one. Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Joaquin is definitely very gentle with his approach to hypnosis which I find very refreshing. His approach involves gaining a good rapport first as opposed to the hyped up approach of "Speed/instant induction! Do it to any person anytime anywhere!"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2009-09-01 13:51, kissdadookie wrote:
He has a audio course available. If you google it you will find it either called Covert Hypnosis or Conversational Hypnosis. The ad-copy for it is the most ridiculous thing to ever read


Wow no kidding. I havent seen a site that obnoxious since the X10 website.

Don't these people understand that they make themselves look dodgy with in your face sales sites like this??
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I don't think that Igor actually did the ad-copy. Ha ha. He's very direct and calm in the series. You can tell right away that he understands the importance of rapport.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jacquin (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL