The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jacquin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
On the subject of kids, which someone asked aways back.

I don't know what Jacquin's reaction would be. I personally think it would be the rare child who could project and inspire the necessary confidence to do much. However, I personally would not recommend this as appropriate for children for a more direct reason. A major part of learning to be a hypnotist is learning how to use language manipulatively. IMHO this is not a good skill to start honing until you have a solid moral base to guide your limiting its application to entertainment.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2009-09-01 13:49, Cyberqat wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 17:06, jondark445 wrote:
Anyone have know where you can info on the laws/insurance for these kinds of performances?

--JD

Google is your friend...

This looks like a pretty reputable document:

http://www.ngh.net/Downloads/statelawguide.pdf

Here's an even better site...

http://www.hypnotherapistsunion.org/laws/usa/
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
In planning a recent move to a new location I decided to count my DVD collection of Magic, Mentalism, Hypnosis etc. I stopped counting at 180 DVD's

My point? Of all those I've collected, used and learned from over the years, I have to say the The Manchurian Approach is most definitely in the top 3 of the most valuable of all.

Simply a first class DVD set, taught by a first class teacher.

Moreover, Anthony is a gentleman in all his dealings.

I look forward to further releases from him.

Highly recommended.

Best to all

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
773 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Thanks Gerry, But can't help wonder what the other 2 are?
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Moonrazor

The other 2 sets would be IMHO:

Mr.Osterlind's ETM Mental Miracles. For me, the most comprehensive program on the study of Mentalism thus far. (Of course Corinda's may change that position).

Mr. Ammar's ETM Card Miracles. This was my intro to learning magic in depth from a marvelous teacher. Many, many years later I still perform a lot of card magic from that series.

Simply my opinion, based on my own interests.

BTW, as a single DVD, Mr.Brown's lecture would be right up there too.

Best

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
If street hypnosis was done for entertainment without compensation and the hypnotist has received verbal agreement from the subject for the hypnotist to hypnotize the subject, I believe that is considered a legally binding verbal contract and the restriction on the need for a license to perform no longer applies. This I would assume is valid only when hypnosis is performed in a casual and not for profit manner. Also, as for the incorrect suggestion and a subject ending up hit by a car and what not, logic dictates that if you are able to suggest a person into such a state you should have suggested to the subject things for them to follow as a preventive measure. If you suggest for them to do so and so you need to suggest to them to do it in a safe manner, you should have suggested the safety suggestions before giving them the main suggestion. The same can apply to a stage setting. They could very well jump off the stage, attack the audience, trip off a chair, smash into glass, etc. To be perfectly honest, getting accredited and licensed for practically anything INCLUDING CPR/First Aid/Responding to Emergency is a cakewalk. I had RTE and CPR training and was allowed to legally take care of injuries including situations in which someones guts are spilling out on to the streets! That training took only about 6 or 8 hours total! It is THAT easy to get accreditation for something, that is the point I am trying to make. In other words, I trust licensed hypnotists as much as I trust myself handling a person with his/her guts spilled out on the streets (in other words, I don't). In other words, in my eyes, it's still a gamble and one can only either trust the person they are dealing with or not.

Of course there are other licenses and what not that actually do require intense study and stringent exams for one to acquire. Like becoming a doctor or a attorney of law. I don't believe, however, that hypnosis is one of such fields that has such requirements.

Bottom line, foolishness committed by a unlicensed hypnotist could just as easily have been committed by a licensed one. The dangers are the same.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Again, depending on what the purpose of the demonstration is for. Commercial/with compensation or totally impromptu with no intention of commercializing/gaining compensation. Laws apply differently depending on the context. For example, if I was to buy clothing from the UK and have it sent to me here in the States, I do not have to pay VAT and I do not have to pay custom fees HOWEVER if I was to have the clothing sent to the US with the purpose of reselling, then I will have to pay custom fees because how the purpose of the import is different thus a different set of rules apply. We are talking about "street hypnosis" here correct? I don't see any reason why street hypnosis should be performed in the context of a formal hypnosis demonstration unless it's being aired for a TV show for example. Performance hypnosis in the commercial/for profit context should definitely have a proper venue for such a performance. I don't see the "street hypnosis" or the "hypnosis attack" style of hypnosis on Youtube clips to be for profit or done with the intention of a proper performance.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Here's the excerpts:

Control of demonstrations of hypnotism at places licensed for public entertainment

(1)Where under any enactment an authority in any area have power to grant licences for the regulation of places kept or ordinarily used for public dancing, singing, music or other public entertainment of the like kind, any power conferred by any enactment to attach conditions to any such licence shall include power to attach conditions regulating or prohibiting the giving of an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism on any person at the place to which the licence relates.

*** This is for places where a licence is required for plublic performance only.

Control of demonstrations of hypnotism at other places

(1)No person shall give an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism on any living person at or in connection with an entertainment to which the public are admitted, whether on payment or otherwise, at any place in relation to which such a licence as is mentioned in section one of this Act is not in force unless the controlling authority have authorised that exhibition, demonstration or performance.

[F1(1A)The foregoing subsection shall not apply to an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism that takes place in the course of a performance of a play (within the meaning of the Theatres Act 1968) given either at premises in respect of which a licence under that Act is in force or under the authority of any such letters patent as are mentioned in section 17(1) of that Act.]

(2)Any authorisation under this section may be made subject to any conditions.

(3)If a person gives any exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism in contravention of this section, or in contravention of any conditions attached to an authorisation under this section, he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [F2level 3 on the standard scale].

[F3(4)In this section, the expression “controlling authority” in relation to a place in any area means the authority having power to grant licences of the kind mentioned in section 1 above in that area.]

*** This implies performances with the intent of commercial performance or performance with the expectation of compensation. It also implies that the performance is going to have a audience apart from you and the subject. It does not mean that you are demonstrating for the subject, a few of his/her friends and a few of your friends. BIG difference. Read and note the wording.

Prohibition on hypnotising persons under twenty-one

A person who gives an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism on a person who has not attained the age of [F1eighteen] years at or in connection with an entertainment to which the public are admitted, whether on payment or otherwise, shall, unless he had reasonable cause to believe that that person had attained that age, be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [F2level 3 on the standard scale].

*** AGAIN this is for public commercial performances.

The direct link to the Act is here: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/A......046_en_1

Note the wording. The entire act basically applies to official public performances where a licence is needed. In other words, if one was to start break dancing in public and draws a crowd, the performer in question is required to have a licence. If one was to perform unofficially, let's say for just one person unofficially, for sake of argument, let's say it's a personal performance between just you and the subject, totally impromptu. That would be the equivalent of dancing in front of the person but just for that person (asking for permission of course). In other words, unless you start drawing a crowd, it's not considered a true public performance THUS the act does not apply because the conditions are not met for the act to be in effect.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Just go to the link I've provided. Enough said. That link is the current Hypnotism Act, everything is there, black and white, legally binding. It's also not provided by some blog site. It's a direct link to the act on the OPSI GOVERNMENT SITE. Until the officially amend that act as it is shown on the OPSI site, it's not illegal under the situations I've stated. Go argue with the UK government Marcus.

Just for your reference, I work in legal, unless there are precedents set or amendments made to the statute, it's not illegal to perform hypnosis on the streets as long as it's on a not for profit, one on one, amongst friend, etc. type situations. You keep bringing up the law yet you do not understand how the statute is worded and you do not have a understanding of how it applies. Shame.
Martin Waring
View Profile
Loyal user
York, England
244 Posts

Profile of Martin Waring
Kissdadookie.

So what is your understanding of the law on introducing hypnotism into a close-up magic act, say at a wedding reception in a hotel, where I am being paid?

Would it be advisable to check first with the licence holder that their licence doesn't specifically preclude hypnotism?

Martin
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Yes, definitely check first to see if what the requirements for performing in such a venue is prior to the engagement. Off the record, I highly doubt that you will get sued or arrested for performing a private event such as a weeding reception BUT in the case that a person or a organization decides to take you to court due to your use of hypnosis, you would undoubtedly lose the case in court unless you have adhered to the statute.

Let's just take the example of proper wake up at the conclusion of a hypnosis session. Even though it's taught as something to prevent "permanent state of hypnosis" the reality is that it's really used just so the subject can not come back and place blame on your hypnosis for whatever he or she is trying to blame you for. The idea there is if you are able to suggest them into a certain state, then the wake up suggestion clears you of any unwanted effects after the session. My personal rule of thumb for anything in life, even though it may sound unethical, safety first from the perspective of the performer. Yes we should respect our spectators but the first thing we need to do is to protect and respect ourselves which in turn provides respect and safety for our audience.
houston_3721
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of houston_3721
Just one quick yet very important question.

I am a non-English speaking magic hobbyist myself and please pardon my English. Is the material here language-based? Is it practical for foreign language speakers to perform? In other words, would it be easy, if possible to present it in another language?

I am a fan of Mr. Brown and am very much impressed and fascinated by the power of hypnosis but I have no prior knowledge on hypnosis or NLP whatsoever. I assume there might be methods about the words you use, or "language pattern" as mentioned in previous posts.

I am very much interested by this. Any opinion from English or non-English speakers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Houston
please pardon my English
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
If you can translate the English language patter (very loose patter by the way) to your native tongue then yes, this DVD set is still very useful.
houston_3721
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of houston_3721
Thank you kissdadookie. Perhaps for some more "linguistic" (is it the word?) part, I may have to reconstruct it after knowing the method?

Any first-hand experience from non-English speakers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Houston
please pardon my English
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
NLP is an English/American thing and in any case is language-dependent... If you want NLP information then you may be better off finding original research in your language (not translations of the standard english texts).

Not being familiar with stage hypnotism, I would suggest checking whether the methods you want to use are simply trick based, in which case all you need is to translate the patter. Anything deeper than that and you're on shaky grounds.
houston_3721
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of houston_3721
G'day and thanks heaps, mate. Smile

Yea that is what I assume NLP to involve and what its name suggests. But what I don't know about is that, how much of the "hypnotism" we are talking about here involves or depends on NLP techniques. I am really a layman in this area, and this seems to be a good place to start from anyway.

thanks again
please pardon my English
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3981 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
For hypnosis, all you need is to figure out the patter in the language which you speak or are performing for. The basic idea is language independent. In other words, once you know how it works and how to approach as well as present it, you can pretty much create your own patter in any language you wish. NLP to some extent can be learned and used in the same way. Get the video or some other hypnosis resource and study it, things will become clearer to you as to why it would work in practically any language.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I received my set this week, ive watched all 4 disks and am re watching them all over, love them.

I'm that confident in the teaching I'm going to perform some hypnosis at my next strolling gig.

if anyone is thinking of purchasing any hypnosis material this is the 1 to get
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
After my lecture in Leicester the other night I went for a few drinks with Amit Badiani, and I witnessed Amit doing instant inductions on 3 uni students. Watching this live and in a 'real world' environment was a real education, and Amit used the same techniques he uses on these DVDs. I witnessed a masterclass from an excellent hypnotist and a great performer.

This DVD set is still the best investment I've made in magic for a long time, and to see Amit actually do the stuff that is taught on these DVDs 'live' was an extra bonus.

Thank you Amit for all the advice you gave me on hypnosis the other night, you're a true Gentleman.

Regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Thanks for all the reviews guys.

Gary I am really glad you have had an opportunity to see Amit in action. He has grown so much as a hypnotist in the last couple of years and has become an integral part of the 'Manchu' family on our courses. He loves to help others.

Stay in touch with any questions. And watch out, 'Manchurian Approach: The Secret Telegram from Gai Lam' is coming to your inbox soon.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jacquin (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL