The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmccormack4
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jmccormack4
Between carneycopia and approaching magic by david regal. which books do you think would be better for a restaurant hopper. and better as in the type of effects AND most importantly advice for performing (not necesarily advice for working in a restaurant).
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
There are, I think, several threads that may help you on this forum.
e.g : http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=5
The books I really enjoyed (amoung others..) regarding performing advice are the 'Books of Wonder'by Tommy Wonder.
Enjoy your search,
Charlie
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
I havent read Approaching Magic...

However I did read Carneycopia recently and I thoroughly enjoyed it! John gives some great theory advice, while providing some great effects, most of which are very much commercial.

I love almost all the card stuff in this book. One effect(s) that you may want to look into is the Napkin Troilogy. Originally put in the book I think, its three separate effects he put together in a video that are completely impromptu and use a deck of cards and a napkin. It flows beautifully.

Not to mention you get his Cylinder and Coins, his one cup routine, and learning from a student of Vernon.

I hope this helps you some in your choice!

All the Best,
Josh
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are looking for restaurant specific magic, then these may not be the places you need to look. They are both good books, don't get me wrong, but it may be like looking into books on astrophysics just to figure out where to point your telescope to see Mars.

Get books on restaurant magic. There are lots of them. Check for material by Dan Fleshman.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
THE MAGIC MENU By Jim Sisti
THE REAL SECRETS OF MAGIC By David Stone
RESTAURANT WORKER HANDBOOK By Jim Pace
Scotts Guinn Blog is VERY useful!
And if you are searching GREAT sources of table hooping but in dvd, Kozmo Magic " Live at the Jailhouse"
My best wishes...
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
539 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Of the two, I have only read Carneycopia, but highly recommend it. Great essays and philosophy. There is also a lot of material that is good in bar/restaurant situations.

I'm also going to second the Books of Wonder.

Another great read is Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger.

All of the above books contain great material, but in reading these, you will learn much more than just 'tricks'
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
It is encouraging that people are recommending books instead of DVDs.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 12:38, Colonel Clark wrote:
It is encouraging that people are recommending books instead of DVDs.

I completely agree, a lot of these young guys would benefit from reading some books. It wold greatly cut down on all the "new" effects that seem to come out every half an hour.

Maximum entertainment by Ken Weber is a must have for any magician/mentalist.

Mike
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1421 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I definitely suggest Jim Pace's Restaurant Workers Handbook. It is chocked full with absolutely everything you need to know about working restaurants. From getting the gig, to keeping the gig, working with the servers, troublesome spectators, routines, building your resume, & much more. Pick it up, you won't be disappointed. Jim's advice and guidence throughout the years have helped me grow into the magician I am today. He's a great guy, and extremly knowledgable. Smile
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Kirk Charles the complete guide to restaurant and walk-around magic.
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL