We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bored, where is Magicsanta? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Yo bro!

Slap some abuse my way, I'm bored at work and need something to occupy me!

Peace & Love

M
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sorry I bore you, buddy.

I like Santa too, but when he ain't in the bar I don't get weepy and stuff. I just spend time with the others and make out the best I can.

But don't expect me to abuse you. I spend so much time abusing myself that I hardly have enough abuse left for others.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

*** it, I need some abuse!!!

Cant you just insult me a little???

Peace & Love

M
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Not like Santa can, no.

He has talents, you know? Usually people pay for such talents. If you want his abuse for free, you have to wait in line and get it when he offers it.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

I suppose ure right. Maybe if I post something that he can disprove he might pop up.

Ahem

Cinderella's slippers were made from Squirrel hair....

Peace & Love

M
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Um, in the original German version, that was true.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 11:56, stoneunhinged wrote:
Sorry I bore you, buddy.

I like Santa too, but when he ain't in the bar I don't get weepy and stuff. I just spend time with the others and make out the best I can.

But don't expect me to abuse you. I spend so much time abusing myself that I hardly have enough abuse left for others.

Who do you make out with when Satan isn't around? (That typo is sticking...)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah, who you make out with when I'm not around? Wait a minute....
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh...about the slippers. There is no proof that there was a translation error and thus changing the word for fur to glass. A little research will show you that, indeed, the word used in the German version (which was the basis of the popular story yet far from the original) was intended to be glass. Basically the idea of them being fur slippers in the story has been put to rest by most except those who like 'interesting' tid bits. My final proof that the word translated into 'glass' is that Matthew believes it to be fur and as he has proven himself incapable of being correct he thus is wrong.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Ahhhhhhh

I feel much better now!

Ok what about your opinion on Area 51. Dreamland. Groom Lake whatever you wanna call it.

Aliens? Military Air Craft?

Im putting my money on the latter.

Peace and love

M
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Squirrel fur? I'd always heard that her slippers may have been green, not glass in some older versions of the story. This would be a slide from the French vert=green to verre=glass.

As Santa points out, the story had many versions spread across Europe, and perhaps into the Middle East and Asia; the "original" is lost in the mists of time.

Can someone explain the "squirrel fur" business?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

I just read somewhere that the original version had squirrell fur instead of glass. cant remember what book it was now.

Peace & Love

M
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I think, though I'm often wrong, that I read the earliest known version is Egyptian and it was a golden slipper.
What would Wavy do?
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Oooh I havent heard that before!

Ill have to have a loosy into it!!

Peace & Love

M
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I think its clear they test military aircraft at groomlake. don't get me started.... longest runway in the world, their own special terminal at L.V airport... crazy place, but if its so secret and we know all this stuff, you can bet there is a place like it that no one knows about (well, if you work there...)
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Absolutely Aircraft. There is no question about that. The U2, 117, B2, SR70 etc all wrung out there. New hangers hint at something really big being tested...speculation is an inflatable Triangle. UFO's Not hardly.

They're at Wright Patterson. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 11:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Can someone explain the "squirrel fur" business?

John

Thanks for not helping. Sheesh.

I looked it up. The oldest written French version by Charles Perrault dates to 1697. He very clearly wrote that Cinderella (Cendrillon) wore glass slippers (pantoufles de verre). The debate about whether he meant what he wrote (or whether he wrote what he misheard) has centred around the similar sounds of verre (glass), vert (green) and vair (fur).

Apparently none of this is conclusive. So I'll stick with Perrault's glass slippers.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I believe the sr71 was in operation for 12 years before the public ever saw a picture of it. The only time our gov ever actually admitted that we had a base there was when the families of several workers sued the government, back in the 90's
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0......100comA/

Here is a link to a book that "discusses" Cinderella's 9th Century origin in China where feet were bound to make them small and they wore fur slippers.

It is primarily for John. Interesting read if you have nothing else to do.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I believe Area 51 or whatever they call it is an Air Force Base with high security controls. I think a lot of it moved to Utah cuz of the heavy moron traffic in the region. I ran into a conspiracy buff once who brought up the base I was on (A submarine base that takes care of Trident boats and all that) which had rather extreme security because of what types of weapons we may or may not have had around. The only thing the guy had right was there were periods when you would be shot if you moved around at the wrong time outside (not unusual for submarine bases and subs themselves, they are one of the only places where the guards have loaded weapons in the Navy), everything else was nonsense. So I don't give much credit to those who claim aliens run around a base.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bored, where is Magicsanta? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL