The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bored, where is Magicsanta? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 20:56, abc wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0......100comA/

Here is a link to a book that "discusses" Cinderella's 9th Century origin in China where feet were bound to make them small and they wore fur slippers.

It is primarily for John. Interesting read if you have nothing else to do.

Thanks. It's not in my public library, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
It is air force
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The military doesn't like people on their bases who don't belong.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 23:41, MagicSanta wrote:
The military doesn't like people on their bases who don't belong.

Heck, they hardly like the people on the base who are SUPPOSED to be there.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey Kid, I was talking to a friend of mines son who is riverine (SEAL platform mostly), you know, brown water dudes. He said that the Navy wants everyone to cross rate or get out before they hit E6. He is trying to switch to the SEALs right now because after doing three tours he would be bored just going blue water. The freakin' Army doesn't even want guys to jump to their side with his experience! I'm really saddened. Your situation with the Nav after you got your degree came to mind.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
The Navy is going to shoot themselves in the foot one of these days. They want all these guys with experience to cross rate into a new job, at the same paygrade but without the experience. Doesn't make sense. They wouldn't let the corpsmen cross rate due to us being a "critical NEC" yet we were 120% manned. So to pick up E6 the average time in grade was 19 years, max out award points, etc. WTH? Who's the brain trust on this operation?
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 00:45, MagicSanta wrote:
Oh...about the slippers. There is no proof that there was a translation error and thus changing the word for fur to glass. A little research will show you that, indeed, the word used in the German version (which was the basis of the popular story yet far from the original) was intended to be glass. Basically the idea of them being fur slippers in the story has been put to rest by most except those who like 'interesting' tid bits. My final proof that the word translated into 'glass' is that Matthew believes it to be fur and as he has proven himself incapable of being correct he thus is wrong.

Aww, "urban myth." Too bad, I liked it. But I won't spread it any further.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Remember the statement used by much of the UK...."If Matt says go left, turn right".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bored, where is Magicsanta? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL