The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2009 entrée: Michael Vincent » » Cy Endfield-My First Mentor. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
I first met Cy Endfield curtsey of Alan Alan.

Alan and I would meet up with Cy every Saturday after Alan would close his shop. Our meeting ground was Valerie’s Patisserie in Old Compton Street.

If you guys haven’t done so already, I highly recommend that you pick up a copy of his book “Cy Endfield’s Entertaining Card Magic”. This is a wonderful collection of card magic with great presentations thrown in for the student. One of the outstanding routines in the book is the of “Escape of the Musketeers”. This routine is Cy’s version of the classic Biddle Trick done with three selections.

Cy Endfield's magic focused on the fundamentals with some extra hard core techniques thrown in. The routining and constructions of his effects really employed these sleights to their maximum potential. I learned a lot about design and construction from this book and subtlety.

As I have mentioned before, Cy became my first mentor in card magic and my relationship with him lasted right up to his death.

The greatest lesson he passed onto me was to have a good look at myself and put on display the parts of my persona the audience would find most acceptable. This is a very introspective process and requires honesty.

His work as a movie director really assisted him in directing his actors in such a way that the actor could give a faithful portrayal of the characters they were portraying.

This process worked very well for me in this regard.

Cy Endfield was an outstanding card man and his book I s a worthy legacy to our craft.

I would like to know if anyone else has met him or saw him perform.

Mike Vincent
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
I have heard a lot about this book lately. In fact if I remember well, it was published in three parts By Supreme Magic Company ( not sure here if I got it right). I remember seeing the books a long time ago and not making the purchase but I remember considering it at the time. I was just starting out in magic and instead of buying these I opted for one of Vernon Inner Secret series. I was not disapointed but I regret now not having pursue on my idea as the books are very hard to come by now.

Yves Tourigny

P.S. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a DVD series as much as I did for your Classic Magic "Patways to Excellence".
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-11 16:07, Yves Tourigny wrote:
I have heard a lot about this book lately. In fact if I remember well, it was published in three parts By Supreme Magic Company ( not sure here if I got it right). I remember seeing the books a long time ago and not making the purchase but I remember considering it at the time. I was just starting out in magic and instead of buying these I opted for one of Vernon Inner Secret series. I was not disapointed but I regret now not having pursue on my idea as the books are very hard to come by now.

Yves Tourigny

P.S. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a DVD series as much as I did for your Classic Magic "Patways to Excellence".

Hello Yves

Thank you for your comments.

The Cy Endfield book does crop up from time to time, I will keep my eyes open for one for you. I will email you when one becomes available.

Keep well

Mike

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
503 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
I never saw him perform but Entertaining Card Magic was one of my first real card texts. I still use the routine "Magician Vs Gambler" to this day.

Jack
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-11 16:34, Jack Tighe wrote:
I never saw him perform but Entertaining Card Magic was one of my first real card texts. I still use the routine "Magician Vs Gambler" to this day.

Jack

Thanks for joining us.

You have mentioned a beautiful effect from the book. I bet you get a great response

with he ending, it comes as a complete surprise.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread very much appreciated.

Mike

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2009 entrée: Michael Vincent » » Cy Endfield-My First Mentor. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL