The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man by Paul Harris » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Gumby !!
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 14:23, Nathan Pain wrote:
Does it have to be a little guy? For instance could you make just a ball of stuff & have it start to roll slowly across the table...maybe more of a PK angle?

Nathan

I wanna know the same thing Nate! Anyone with any clue?
Luke
hunty
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of hunty
So I have a choice then.
Pay my solicitor fees for the pending divorce or purchase this...

(Maybe I can use this to convince my wife that I'm the devil and she can divorce me?)
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
Just pre-order it!!
The email suggested it may takes another 2-3 months. Can't wait.

Just wonder if special clay is being used? If so, I hopes that the refill is not that expensive??!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 22:52, Doug Lippert wrote:
Like they say, there's nothing new under the sun. Smile

Kind of - EMET
...to all the coins I've dropped here
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 00:53, shield wrote:
Quote:
Does it have to be a little guy? For instance could you make just a ball of stuff & have it start to roll slowly across the table...maybe more of a PK angle?

Nathan

Luke

Are you serious? How can you even compare a moving man made out of clay to a rolling ball. The latter or something similar already exists. This is far better.

I knew about the Cameron effect. That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the ad. I hope this is far better though and more practical. It can be played in many ways... bizarre... comedy...
Yours,

Ivan
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Niva,

I think it may be the difference between a clown & a politician...oh wait.

Nathan

PS If I make a little guy walk...it blows my image...if I make a ball of putty roll...not as much. My image already blows, but that is neither here nor there...
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 20:09, evolve629 wrote:
NFW!

E629,
You naughty woman!! Smile

(I said the exact same thing when I read the AD!)

rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
They are taking pre-orders now. Little man has the longest wait thought.

60-90 days.
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Does anyone remember Mr. Bill from SNL? That is what I will make with this.

And the method is actually very new, cutting edge new. I am not 100% sure but I am betting that they are simply using clay impregnated with a few hundred thousand nanobots (specilized MEMS devices) constructed out of Nitinal (a shape memory alloy) which is powered by the temperature difference between the clay and room temp. (the clay is heated by our hands as we mix it up to make the little guy). You will need a PK ring to align the nanobots after the little guy is made so that they all work together and not randomly, but that should only take a second and can easily be done under cover of "adjusting his legs". The method is basically self working although relatively expensive hence the price tag. This is a great effect but it will only be good for about five more years at which time nanobot technology will be well known and no one will be fooled by this method anymore.

There is of course always the worry that the nanobots will start to reproduce and spread outside of the clay and get loose. If that happens then they will literally tear the world apart in a matter of days. But that is that is the risk we have to take for such a mind blowing effect.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Watch out, it's teh grey goo!!!
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
WayneL
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of WayneL
Nanobots? sounds really cool. Can't wait to see a demo.
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
452 Posts

Profile of Rick
This would make a great trailer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglVqACd1C8
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 12:52, Michael Peterson wrote:
As I recall, Brother Shadow had an effect like this, but it wasn't this clean.

I can't wait to hear more on this.

Mike

Quote:
On 2009-08-13 22:15, Judah Vee wrote:
Heres an interesting tidbit. I was going thru some of my dust collectors and found some of my old booklets by Tony 'Doc' Shiels and Charles W. Cameron. Those of you who know the names know the type of magic. (Macabre and Bizarre and Weird) I was flipping thru the pages of Handbook Of Horror by Mr. Cameron and I came across something that caught my attention. It was an effect called Manikin Macabre. In it a small box with a lump of modeling clay is shown, then the clay is formed into a rough human figure. A Few incantations later (along with a few sleights) the magi stands well away from the clay and...... it takes a step! Then a few more steps and stops. The magi incants some more and then tears the figure apart and rolls it back into a ball of clay. This was printed in the late 1960's.

This does not SEEM as clean as Little Man, But it sounds similiar. I hope that little man uses a different type of gimmick and I hope it is as clean as it says. If so I will buy it. I might buy it anyway as it sounds like a nice effect. HOWEVER.... I have a thought of caution in my own mind.

Just my 2 and a half cents.

Let the flaming begin!!!!! (lol!!)

Poof!

-J-

Thanks for clearing that up, I don't know why I thought it was Brother Shadow?

Mike
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Pre-orders without a demonstration video? They should call this "Leap of Faith".
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
This is what I think about it:

To me it seems by everyones reactions that this was made to be a magician fooler... Hence the enormous price tag. Magicians will just want to buy it to know how it's done and it will then just sit on their shelves collecting dust.

I mean don't get me wrong... I think this sounds like a fantastic effect and will be really nice... in fact if I had $300 just laying around I'd probably buy it too... but I'm just trying to be realistic. Smile
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 07:30, niva wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 00:53, shield wrote:
Quote:

Nathan

Luke

Are you serious? How can you even compare a moving man made out of clay to a rolling ball. The latter or something similar already exists. This is far better.

Each to their own I guess.

Luke
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
If you just want to move a little ball of clay then you can do it already by buying PK Putty.

Now making a little man move walk around... I'm interested.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 00:08, Sam Weiss wrote:
Magicians will just want to buy it to know how it's done and it will then just sit on their shelves collecting dust.

If you have small children, this would make you their God. Animating "Play-Doh" WOW.. Haha..
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 00:56, Greg Arce wrote:
If you just want to move a little ball of clay then you can do it already by buying PK Putty.

Now making a little man move walk around... I'm interested.

Greg

exactly my thought.

A famous literature and movie quote came to mind:

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
Yours,

Ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man by Paul Harris » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL