The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
davidpeters
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of davidpeters
We just got these in stock! get them now from your favorite dealer world wide!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
It's been a week now that I've been using Strip, and let me just say that I'm loving it! In addition to the effects taught on the DVD, I've come up with some of my own ideas as well. I've been doing this for magicians and lay-folk, and the responses have all been excellent!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
Are we able to insert something into this box openly in front of the spectator and have that item change? Or does the item already have to be in position in the box, then do the change? Thanks!
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Depends on the item, but for some things you can definitely insert the item in front of them. One of the presentations offered on the DVD is that you find a sticker (ripped), insert it into the box, and restore it for them.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
394 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Received mine yesterday Smile This is a very cool and practical little prop! The only problem for me is that we don't have Listerine Breath Strips in Finland so nobody really knows what they are.. That's why I have to do some extra work to justify the use of a breath strip case.

I really like the "torn and restored label" trick but since I can't find breath strip cases in finland I don't know if I can use it.

-Aleksi
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
I have two questions. Does it come with a gimmick that you can place into any listerine breath stips pack? Or is there one gimmicked pack? Also how many packs of listerine breath strips do they provide you with?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
The gimmickery is pretty permanently installed into one Listerine pack. You could, in theory, transfer it to a different pack, but it's definitely not designed for it and I've not tried to do that myself.

It comes with the gimmicked pack, and then a supply of about one pack's worth of strips.

With proper care, the gimmicked pack should last a very, very long time. And if people are having trouble finding the strips locally, it looks like there are plenty of places online to find them, such as here:

http://www.amazon.com/Listerine-PocketPa......6&sr=8-1

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
ukjasonharris
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of ukjasonharris
I did not see this covered yet, but can you tip the item that appears out of the pack without a problem?

Thinking this might be good to use with an effect where you tear the corner off a playing card, the spectator is holding an empty Listerine packet and then suddenly the corner appears in the pack and can be dumped out to show the match,
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello there, everyone. Just wanted you to know we are now carrying refills for
Strip on the Paul Harris Presents site.
Janet Harris
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Jason, the ability to remove the item depends entirely on how big the item is. The torn corner scenario and how easy it is to remove depends on how big the torn corner is. The DVD covers a routine like the one you suggest in detail. It will be possible to remove the torn corner to verify that it's a true match to the card in play. You may have to reach in and pull it out, rather than just tipping it out, depending on how big you want your corner to be.

Also glad to see that refills are available for this. I have some transpo ideas where 2 packs could be useful.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Only magicians would pay $30 for a tiny little listerine box hehe. I'm still on the fence with this one. Could anyone do a complete review?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Let's put it this way. Most things that are truly usable and actually pretty good becomes a silent topic almost on the Café while other things that are usually pretty darn useless are hyped to high heavens. I've picked this up today. It. Is. Awesome. Totally works, totally practical, extremely under suspicion particularly if you live in the US of A since these things are pretty much carried at the front counter of practically every convenience store in at least NYC and I would put good money on it that it's much harder to find convenience stores that DON'T carry these strips in the USA. Pretty much as common as Tic Tacs and Certs. I'm going to have quite a lot of fun with this thing. It's also as well made and durable as a Listerine Breath Strip box, meaning it can take a good beating.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I just got this and it's great! It's one of the first effects I have that you can do a transformation or even have the spectator do it and immediately inspect it. I feel that even though the strip packs are very popular in the USA, but I feel it still will be under some suspicion for who I do it to, anyway, because I never carry around gum or strip packs. For example, someone who always uses strip packs everywhere they go this will obviously be perfect for. I will get the "since when did you start using breath freshener?" comments leading to suspicion of the strip pack. I will not use the "here, would you like a breath strip?" approach because the way I perform especially at my job, it won't look right, but I will mix it with things on the table and use that approach. I'm also worried about someone opening the entire thing to inspect it. But this is really cool, barring no one rips it open it really can be inspected. I'm going to have fun with this one.
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
228 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
I have this too, and it is great! nattefrost, what kind of friends do you have? (joking) No spectator should ever handle your props with enough gusto to take the whole thing apart, should they? It IS inspectable, and no one should EVER discover anything odd about it. It is a great, organic prop!
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Theboywonder, you would be suprised at what some of my co-workers would do to "bust me". If it gets by them, it will get by ANYBODY. But you are right, though, no one SHOULD take it apart, it just looks like it snaps right off. Regarding bringing it into "play" at my job, I would let it sit there with the other items on the desk innocently and someone will probably open it and even take one, as there's always gum or candy lying around all of the desk areas. I wouldn't have it in my hand, say "you want a breath strip?" and then put it down and immediately do an effect with it. they will be like "something's weird with those strips". It's much better if they DON'T think it's mine. This really is great for me though, as I am always looking for something WITHOUT cards (you can do this with cards, though). Just let it sit right on the desk or table and it will blend right in with everything.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I never knew these things came apart prior to picking up Strip. Natte, you've answered your own problem. If performing for people who know you well, anything out of character will go under scrutiny because that is the situation you have essentially created for yourself which is inevitable. For all intent and purposes for the majority of people, there's no suspicion of it because the thing is immediately recognizable. If all you perform for are folks that you see day in and day out, even so much as starting to wear a ring, a watch, etc. while trying to perform for them will draw unwanted attention.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Kissdadookie, I'm only talking about under extreme circumstances, like people at my job. I do some family shows for 25-40 people, too. I think most of if not almost all of the people will just look in it, and I've had this ongoing problem for performing for friends especially at work of being ripped apart. After what some people have done in the past, I guess I'm a little nervous someone will open it. It probably will never happen, and I agree with you 100%, that's why I rarely perform for those "certain people" at work anymore. Like I originally posted, this is pretty much my first device that someone can actually do the transformation or whatever, then inspect it. I'll know who to do it to, and have it there blending in with all the mess on our desk areas. I can't wait to start doing this, it's amazing what gimmicks these guys come up with nowadays!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Of course they are going to look at it but the thing is totally examinable to that extent, it's the equivalent of people wanting to see if there is anything in your sleeves even when the sleeves had nothing to do with the effect. My comment is strictly on the issue of people wanting to break the container apart.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I got mine also a few days ago and have been having a lot of fun with this! It's organic and to a spectator, a regular Strip container. What have you guys been using with this? I've been doing a torn and restored label as well as turning a frown upside down (a smiley face). Also, anyone having problems getting the "sweet spot" to work on your strip container? I can always use the other handling but with the original handling, sometimes it takes a few tries before the mechanism is activated. I have yet to show it to anyone anyway, but it's fun practicing with it. Definitely recommended! Smile
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
228 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Yup, I find the second handling works best for me too, although it sometimes activates if I'm not careful! I have to use it more, though; it is such a great prop!
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL