The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Al Franken stunt ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Not a big deal, but I just saw this and thought it was neat ... Al Franken demonstrating a memory effect of sorts, in which he draws the 48 contiguous states (nearly) perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HfcrqXtxOM

http://www.adn.com/3437/story/894871.html

The explanation:

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM116_response.html

And a little more:

http://minnesotaindependent.com/41634/fr......draw-usa
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Hey everyone...did you know that Al Franken is now a United States senator?

How cool is that?
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
Shows what a sick sense of humor Minnesotians (sic) have.
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
<BR>-"There is no place for laughter in magic." B.Martin-
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
An educated senator does something that glorifies intelligence and gets public attention! Wow,maybe there is hope.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Glorifies intelligence? My IQ is 287, and I can't draw an accurate picture of Colorado, much less the entire U.S.

Al Franken must be GOD...or something close.

Is he educated? Didn't know that. Saturday Night Live University, or where?

Don't tell me Harvard. Please don't tell me Harvard. They didn't let me into Harvard, you know. Or the University of Chicago, either. I had trouble getting accepted into a university. They were afraid of me, I suppose.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I can't stand to watch/listen to more than about ten seconds of Al Franken, but Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Florida are only approximations, and Nevada is larger than California...

What a doofus...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Before you criticize his work, what kind of projection was he drawing? Eh? Was it equal area or equal distance? Smile

John

PS last time I mentioned Minnesota the thread got nasty. Maybe everyone has settled down a bit since then.

PPS According to Wikipedia, Franken graduated cum laude from Harvard in 1973.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Great. Harvard. You know, I didn't know, but I sort of knew, if you know what I mean.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Stone, did you leave a decimal point out of that IQ? Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Why? Do you think it should be higher? I've been thinking of raising it lately. How does 293 sound?

I like it.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
...but Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Florida are only approximations, and Nevada is larger than California...

What a doofus...

He could cure cancer and the Faux News parrots would find some way to crap on it...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 12:33, stoneunhinged wrote:
Why? Do you think it should be higher? I've been thinking of raising it lately. How does 293 sound?

I like it.

Fahrenheit or Celsius?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 15:50, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
...but Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Florida are only approximations, and Nevada is larger than California...

What a doofus...

He could cure cancer and the Faux News parrots would find some way to crap on it...

Sorry, but I don't work for "Faux News". I'm just crapping on him as an ordinary U.S. citizen...

The comment: "Anne Schroeder Mullins, Politico: One of Sen. Al Franken's (D-Minn.) many talents is that he can draw the [contiguous] 48 states perfectly..."

Don't use "perfectly" if you don't mean "perfectly". Isn't this something that ALL students of Social Studies and U.S. History should be able to do?

(BTW, I think Al GORE, and not Al FRANKEN, cured cancer...) Smile
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 17:20, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

What a doofus...

Sorry, but I don't work for "Faux News". I'm just crapping on him as an ordinary U.S. citizen...

...who agrees with the pundits on Fox News.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What a doofus...

The comment: "Anne Schroeder Mullins, Politico: One of Sen. Al Franken's (D-Minn.) many talents is that he can draw the [contiguous] 48 states perfectly..."

Don't use "perfectly" if you don't mean "perfectly". Isn't this something that ALL students of Social Studies and U.S. History should be able to do?

(BTW, I think Al GORE, and not Al FRANKEN, cured cancer...) Smile

No, no...it's non-reciprocal. Any criticism makes you a neocon, but it's perfectly acceptable to call the rough approximation "perfect."

What a great gig it would be to be a Democratic magician working the DNC. "Is this your card?" "Well, no, but I did pick a RED card! That's just perfect!!"
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

What a doofus...

BTW FWIW, I don't disagree with this post at all; I just disagree with the implication that it's a one-way street. Similarly, if a Republican politician cured cancer, it'd be reported all over the left-wing media and blogosphere as evidence that cancer was a Republican invention in the first place, probably to reduce the population of the poor and/or minorities, who have a disproportionately high percentage of smokers.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If Rush Limbaugh cured cancer, Al Franken would suddenly moan and complain about all the unemployed lab workers, and lab rats.

Come on gaddy it is politics. You yourself would automatically dispute ANYTHING Fox says right? At least be honest about it.

If it does not come from an "approved source" people do not believe anything. (approved by the viewer LOL)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 17:28, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What a doofus...

...who agrees with the pundits on Fox News.

First, I would need to know which ones are considered "pundits" and which ones aren't and on which issues they are considered such. Since I don't agree with everyone on Fox News (or CNN or NBC, or MSNBC, or CNBC, or ABC, or CBS, or BBC, or Al Jazeera for that matter), only THEN could I let you know what percentage of them I agree with, and on which issues... Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 08:00, ClintonMagus wrote:
I can't stand to watch/listen to more than about ten seconds of Al Franken, but Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Florida are only approximations, and Nevada is larger than California...

It IS a hand drawn map, after all. Done on an upright piece of paper. All in all, it is probably a better map from memory than 99.9999% of the population could draw.

I thought it was a pretty impressive memory demonstration.

I'm sad that you (and others here, evidently) for whatever reason(s) do not appreciate it in the same way.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I appreciate his memory and his artistic abilities definitely overshadow mine, but I'm not quite as orga$mic over it as Ms. Mullins and others seem to be...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Al Franken stunt ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL