The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Al Franken stunt ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I think the twists and turns of the thread are exactly the point. While some wish to accuse the media of bias (which it undoubtedly has), the direction of finger pointing appears to be exclusively "those bad guys are giving unfair coverage to my (correct) position."

To some, showing Franken in a good light is tantamount to having a "liberal bias"--whatever that means.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
John,

Tantamount means: equivalent to a particular thing in effect, outcome, or value, especially something unpleasant. Smile

If the post to this thread had been limited to Franken and his map, this thread would have ended about as soon as it was posted. Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I want to run a vent figure for office in Minnesota and see if it wins.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 20:44, Tom Bartlett wrote:
John,

Tantamount means: equivalent to a particular thing in effect, outcome, or value, especially something unpleasant. Smile

The "unpleasant" is a funny bit, but in disagreement with this dictionary. Smile

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 00:39, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
John,

Not exactly in dis

The "unpleasant" is a funny bit, but in disagreement with this dictionary. Smile

John
Not exactly in disagreement:

tan⋅ta⋅mount  /ˈtæntəˌmaʊnt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tan-tuh-mount] Show IPA
Use tantamount in a Sentence
–adjective equivalent, as in value, force, effect, or signification: His angry speech was tantamount to a declaration of war.

War may be necessary but enormously unpleasant. Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 20:23, Sam Weiss wrote:
Yeah exactly! This thread isn't about politics! It's about a guy who can draw a map of the US from memory and he just HAPPENS to be Al Franken. Who cares if it's not perfect! If you can't replicate the stunt he does you shouldn't criticize the accuracy. As much as I like debating politics, this isn't the thread for it.

try mentioning al gore, and see how quickly a "discussion" [sic] turns to politics...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 01:21, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 00:39, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
John,

Not exactly in dis

John
Not exactly in disagreement:

tan⋅ta⋅mount  /ˈtæntəˌmaʊnt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tan-tuh-mount] Show IPA
Use tantamount in a Sentence
–adjective equivalent, as in value, force, effect, or signification: His angry speech was tantamount to a declaration of war.

War may be necessary but enormously unpleasant. Smile

I really do not think unpleasantness is necessary for something to be tantamount to something else.

Myself, I always prefer to look up words in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. In this case:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tantamount

---
* Main Entry: tan·ta·mount
* Pronunciation: \ˈtan-tə-ˌmau̇nt\
* Function: adjective
* Etymology: obsolete tantamount, noun, equivalent, from Anglo-French tant amunter to amount to as much
* Date: 1641

: equivalent in value, significance, or effect <a relationship tantamount to marriage>
---

Marriage. Hmmm.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Balducci

That's a heck of a way to disagree!

Don't you just love words.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 01:29, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
Yeah exactly! This thread isn't about politics! It's about a guy who can draw a map of the US from memory and he just HAPPENS to be Al Franken. Who cares if it's not perfect! If you can't replicate the stunt he does you shouldn't criticize the accuracy. As much as I like debating politics, this isn't the thread for it.

try mentioning al gore, and see how quickly a "discussion" [sic] turns to politics...

Doesn't it turn to politics by definition upon your mentioning him? That's like saying try mentioning Phil Mickelson and see how quickly a discussion turns to golf. The "sic" should go after "turns" not "discussion."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-08-13 22:59, MagicSanta wrote:
I want to run a vent figure for office in Minnesota and see if it wins.

Will it be a Democrat, Republican, or what?

:)
Mister Mystery
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Already was done here--it was named Ventura
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 02:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:The "sic" should go after "turns" not "discussion."

Actually, I don't think there should be a [sic] at all, since none of the words have an archaic or incorrect spelling...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 08:19, hou_dini wrote:
Already was done here--it was named Ventura

:)

I guess MagicSanta is too late! Wait...Jesse just, "The Body", so maybe Santa can do the head too! Smile

Come to think of it, aren't most politicians puppets?
Mister Mystery
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 02:21, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Balducci

That's a heck of a way to disagree!

Don't you just love words.

The old system: debating the 'meanings of words' to circumvent issues.
Just as well; the issues at hand weren't worth discussing.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 08:28, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 02:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:The "sic" should go after "turns" not "discussion."

Actually, I don't think there should be a [sic] at all, since none of the words have an archaic or incorrect spelling...

Yeah, it's kind of like "ironic," post-Morrissette. Sometimes it's simpler to go with the intended meaning.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 12:50, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 08:28, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, it's kind of like "ironic," post-Morrissette. Sometimes it's simpler to go with the intended meaning.

Yea I hated that song too.

Great episode of a "Post Cheers" sit com with George Went. (probably should google him so I spell his name right LOL, so I mean the Norm charector for anyone who wants to jump on me) A guy said something smart alec to him and the guy looks and says to George "I was just being IRONIC MAN". To which he replied, "No, you were being 'sarcastic'. Although it was IRONIC you didn't know that".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 20:08, Dannydoyle wrote
Great episode of a "Post Cheers" sit com with George Went. (probably should google him so I spell his name right LOL, so I mean the Norm charector for anyone who wants to jump on me) A guy said something smart alec to him and the guy looks and says to George "I was just being IRONIC MAN". To which he replied, "No, you were being 'sarcastic'. Although it was IRONIC you didn't know that".

My favorite Norm line: "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I love that one too.

Tough to pick a "favorite" for me because every time I remember one or see one, THAT is my new favorite!

I hope between the two of us we have managed to sidetrack the discussion for good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 23:33, Dannydoyle wrote:
I love that one too.

Tough to pick a "favorite" for me because every time I remember one or see one, THAT is my new favorite!

I hope between the two of us we have managed to sidetrack the discussion for good.

What discussion? Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 02:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 01:29, gaddy wrote:
Quote:

Doesn't it turn to politics by definition upon your mentioning him? That's like saying try mentioning Phil Mickelson and see how quickly a discussion turns to golf. The "sic" should go after "turns" not "discussion."

Quote:
from wisegeek.com -"Many publications use sic in a somewhat snide way, to highlight an error"

No, this is no discussion, except for the part about the definition of certain words. The rest is all crap. To call it such would be an error. This is just typical "Nots" ideological digital stroking off.

And snide is my middle name...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Al Franken stunt ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL