The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2009 entrée: Michael Vincent » » Strong Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
I would like to start a conversation about this great book.

I got my copy when it was first released and couldn't put it down.

Here was a book that spoke to the needs of close-up magicians everywhere.

The first book that I read of this type was “Close-Up Presentations” by John Mendoza.
For its time it was an excellent book.

The publication of Strong Magic changed the way we thought about creative showmanship forever. This book really challenged us to apply as much creativity to our showmanship as we do to the construction of our effects.

The chapter on “Suggestion” was significant for me because at that time, I had just started working in the corporate arena and “Prestige” was an important issue.

Now, different aspects of the book speak to me in proportion to where I am right now with my magic. For example, I mentioned on another topic that I am revisiting effects from long ago to see how much mileage I can get with the amount of experience I now have under my belt. The results have been amazing, routines like “Triumph” and “Matching The cards” have always been good effects but now, they have become even stronger due to the fact that I understand what is meant to happen and I am allowing the audience time to appreciate the magnitude of the effects.

The chapters on “Act Construction” and “Performance Character” have also resonated with me because I have been thinking a lot about my identity as a magician and how I can best serve that identity through the material I present.

“Strong Magic” has inspired me to come up with several new concepts of my own which will form the basis of my new lecture (details to follow).

I would like to hear from all of you now.

How has “Strong Magic” helped you and the growth of your magic?

What aspects of the book have supported you towards this goal?

Please share, this is for the benefit of everyone.

Thanks

Mike

Ps

Let’s all offer huge thank you to Darwin Ortiz for taking the time to research and collate the incredible wealth of information contained in “Strong Magic”, we are better off for his generosity of spirit.
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Hello again Mike,

This happens to be one of my favorite magic books as well. It came out when I had been in magic for about 3 years and prior to that the only magic references I remember reading that went beyond effect/method explanations were the Henning Nelms book and various pamphlets and books by Eugene Burger.

Strong Magic was a pivotal book for me in my development as a magician. One of the items that immediately jumped out at me was the section on clarity, which happens to be Chapter 1. Darwin wrote something to the tune of "after the effect, your audience must not be the least bit confused as to what just happened." It seems like common sense now, but at that time I don't believe it ever really sank in until I read this section.

The next section on conviction was equally as important. After reading those two sections, I revamped the effects I was working on, added a few new ones and dropped the ones that I didn't think would make the cut any more. It was the first time I really took a look at the effects I was performing and made the painful decision of dropping effects that I may have loved at the time because the impact on the audience was minimal.

As I read and reread the book, I started to focus on the dramatic elements that make the effects miracles - the elements that add clarity and conviction to the routines.

Granted Darwin and I may have different views on how to handle hecklers, but Darwin's advice on the subject, nonetheless, is good advice.

I think Strong Magic is one of the most important books ever written on the subject of magic. His concepts are crystal clear and they work with amazing results. Strong Magic helped me develop a more critical approach to my magic, now that I am taking my audience into total consideration when performing any magic effect.
ME
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Thank you for your evaluation Mark

Like you, I see Strong Magic as a Book which future generations will hold dear like we did with Magic and Showmanship and Our Magic.

Reading, studying, performing and more thinking are part of al life time quests for mastery.

Thank you for your post.

Come on guys where are you, let's have some more feedback, this is an important conversation for all of us.

Mike

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I have had this book now for maybe 5 years and it is usually allways on my nightstand. I am actually considering getting second copy of the book cos my old one is getting so ruined looking because of all underlining and notes I have made into its pages Smile But in the end, those are just marks that I have really read it.

The great thing about it is indeed the fact that it makes theoretical things, that would otherwise be hard to understand, easy to understand with examples and suggestions.

For instance, most of us do Vernon's twisting the aces. I still feel that original is pretty much the best way to go. However, when you think about it, it is still rather hard for laymen to follow; cards turn over in suits. Ortiz made just a minor suggestion. Use 1,2,3 and 4 of one suit instead. It really doesn't affect the handling much but it makes the effect totally clear. No more confusion. The cards turn over in numerical order.

The book is filled with pratical suggestions like this and they make it worth its weight in gold.

Juha-Matti
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-12 12:13, korttihai_82 wrote:
I have had this book now for maybe 5 years and it is usually allways on my nightstand. I am actually considering getting second copy of the book cos my old one is getting so ruined looking because of all underlining and notes I have made into its pages Smile But in the end, those are just marks that I have really read it.

The great thing about it is indeed the fact that it makes theoretical things, that would otherwise be hard to understand, easy to understand with examples and suggestions.

For instance, most of us do Vernon's twisting the aces. I still feel that original is pretty much the best way to go. However, when you think about it, it is still rather hard for laymen to follow; cards turn over in suits. Ortiz made just a minor suggestion. Use 1,2,3 and 4 of one suit instead. It really doesn't affect the handling much but it makes the effect totally clear. No more confusion. The cards turn over in numerical order.

The book is filled with pratical suggestions like this and they make it worth its weight in gold.

Juha-Matti

How has Strong Magic impacted your performing Identity?

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Michael,

I want to thank you for the kind words about Strong Magic. Since writing the book was such immensely hard work, it’s gratifying to know that others have benefited from it.

I think it’s very gracious of you, Michael, to have been willing to share the spotlight with your influences during your stint as guest of honor. I’m sure I’m not the only one to have enjoyed reading about Larry Jennings, Tony Slydini, Alan Alan and others who have helped mold you as a performer and artist.

Juha-Matti, I think you should definitely follow your inclination to buy another copy of Strong Magic, perhaps one for each room in your house and several to give to friends.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-12 14:40, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
Michael,

I want to thank you for the kind words about Strong Magic. Since writing the book was such immensely hard work, it’s gratifying to know that others have benefited from it.

I think it’s very gracious of you, Michael, to have been willing to share the spotlight with your influences during your stint as guest of honor. I’m sure I’m not the only one to have enjoyed reading about Larry Jennings, Tony Slydini, Alan Alan and others who have helped mold you as a performer and artist.

Juha-Matti, I think you should definitely follow your inclination to buy another copy of Strong Magic, perhaps one for each room in your house and several to give to friends.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

Darwin,

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts.

Isaac Newton was right, we stand on the shoulders of giants. Your have made it possible for magicians like me and the world over
to stand in line behind you as part of the chain of excellence and next generation.

I believe in this whole heartedly.

I have a question for you Darwin.

Did you ever realize one day that you were now carrying the responsibility that Vernon and Slydini once held to carry the next generation forward?

Every time we talk and spend time together I feel the great sense of pride and also the responsibility to raise my game, not just for myself but for the next generation.

Your lecture in London in 1988 was a high point for me, I was in the front row hypnotized by your performance.

Darwin, I hope you realize that you have a lot to answer for .......LOL

Thanks for everything

Your student
Mike

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 14:49, Michaelvincent wrote:
...I have a question for you Darwin.

Did you ever realize one day that you were now carrying the responsibility that Vernon and Slydini once held to carry the next generation forward?...

Mike,

I strongly believe that no one gets to elect himself a role model. That’s a decision that others make for us. All that you and I or anyone else can do is to keep doing what we love. Some people will like it. Some people won’t. And, if we’re very lucky, some people will be inspired by it and choose to build upon our work.

Darwin
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-12 15:14, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 14:49, Michaelvincent wrote:
...I have a question for you Darwin.

Did you ever realize one day that you were now carrying the responsibility that Vernon and Slydini once held to carry the next generation forward?...

Mike,

I strongly believe that no one gets to elect himself a role model. That’s a decision that others make for us. All that you and I or anyone else can do is to keep doing what we love. Some people will like it. Some people won’t. And, if we’re very lucky, some people will be inspired by it and choose to build upon our work.

Darwin

Thank you Darwin for your insightful evaluation.

I can only add, "those who are inspired automatically become a link in the chain of excellence".

Mike

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
A friend of mine (Paul Vigil) recommended this book back in 99. Said it was the book he took with him when he went traveling.

When describing the book to someone I said it basically said to only add those elements that contribute to the creation of the effect and take out those elements that don't contribute to the creation of the effect. A principle I have been familiar with for a long time. However, one of the most difficult things to do in practice I find. This book provided me with a lot of tools to do just that. I expect to spend the rest of my life figuring out ways to apply it.

Reminds me of EB Strunk's "Omit needless words' quote.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I had been in magic for many years when I read Strong Magic, and much of what was in the pages was familiar ground, having grown up on Nelms, Burger, Nash and others. What I think makes the book must reading is that Mr. Ortiz has codified and organized essential knowledge of the topic, in much the same way that Card College does for essential methods and standard effects. Having Strong Magic as a reference is essential, no matter where you are in your magical journey.
And it’s not even his best book.

That would be Designing Miracles.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Darwin also has some nice work on thumbtips in another book.
ME
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2009 entrée: Michael Vincent » » Strong Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL