We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scott Grossberg's "Deck of Shadows" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
I posted a similar entry for mentalists under the Penny section, but thought that some of you card handlers and/or mentalists/bizzarists who want to include card effects in your presentations but don't want to use normal playing cards might find this useful, as well. Sorry if this looks like a double post, but I wasn't quite sure where to list this for the cross-over.

In any event, Vinny Marini, The Godfather of Magic, is now offering my new oracle cards - The Deck of Shadows - at:

http://www.vinnymarini.com/deckofshadows/

Some have also inquired about a book ("Bauta") and deck offer. Leaping Lizards Magic/Dean Montalbano will soon have some combination sets available:

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/newsletter.htm

Dean and I are just finishing up the details.

Thank you for your time. Enjoy. - Scott Grossberg
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Scott,
Those look excellent! Designing your own tarot is a very hard task. If anyone was up for it,it would be you.
I'll be ordering a deck very soon.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Remember these cards ae not only for the mentalist they are also normal playing cards,,
anythng you can do with a normal deck will work with the deck of shadows
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
This is a beautiful pack of cards. The work that went into them is phenomenal, there are so many layers and these cards will fit into most anyone’s reading style or provide a unique method for those who do not have one as of yet.

Scott sent me a prototype early this year and I was blown away by the detail and possibilities of the pack. I’ve recently received a production set and am even more amazed by the refinements and additions that are there.

Last month I took these cards out to several events resulting is about 120 readings with them. I normally do a 5 card spread for these functions which require a short reading, and when not using tarot I use a variation on the Lenormand deck (Zingara, the Art Deco pack, or a deck I that was originally passed down to me from my grandmother from the 1930s/40s). I use them because of the imagery and colorful nature of the cards and was wondering if I could adapt to the Deck of Shadows.

To fully appreciate what Scott has done, I opted to use his “What’s Real-What’s Not” and the “Desire – Defy – Escape” spreads (2 and 3 card spreads) from the booklet that comes with the cards. I also adapted and used a one card read to read the person’s current situation/major concern. My only concern was if the black and white cards from a deck that was new to me would inspire me and open me up as much as full colored cards from decks I had been using for decades.

The cards were a hit with both the sitters and with me. The clean look of the black and white card with the image of a piece of classical art was just that, classy. For me, there was so much information on the card that opened up to me, my primary function became filtering it so that I could finish the reading in the limited time I had.

For example, “Metamorphosis” was selected in a one card reading. The meaning of the card is change in appearance of a person or thing (meaning of the word); subsidiary meanings (printed on the card) are growth, disruption, physical change, the symbol (on the card) is the butterfly, the painting on the card is Pygmalion and Galatea, and the playing card associated with it (printed on the card) is the 10 of spades.

The 10 of spades, excessive work or conflict, a numerological 1 (leadership, ambition, independent), corresponding tarot (10 Swords) which in my deck is Ruin and depicts a face that appears to have may sides (3 faced) with other elements mixed in indicating being pulled in many different directions, deceit, and fear of madness.

All of this from a single card, and this is before I consider the other aspects, self perception, perception of others, and all the Masks that the card can represent. (Even without factoring in my intuitive feelings of the person).

These cards also serve as a wonderful substitute for the Dolphin Cards for those who are familiar with John Riggs’ Cradle to the Grave project.

As I said, these cards were a hit. So not only do they look great and very classy, they are exceptional as an oracle and be used out of the box (literally) as an oracular system or as an adjunct to systems that you already do, card reading, images, numerology, tarot…

Highly recommended.

Tony Iacoviello
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tony thank yo for that in debt review, I hope the non mentalist pick up the deck, deck of shadows because it is also a normal deck . For the non mentalist this is the best of both worlds
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Vinny:

Yes, it is a beautiful deck, and one-way. Lots of possibilities...
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Mr Eye speaks, I listen.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Okay Magic Café friends and fans - I have just been notified that The Deck of Shadows has been selected as a finalist in the 2011 About.com Reader's Choice awards. Polls will officially be available for casting votes for the favorite Oracle Card decks starting tonight (Feb. 11, 12:00 AM EST) and continuing through March 8. Winners will be announced on March 15.

To learn more about the awards program at About.com visit:
http://healing.about.com/od/healernetwor......ists.htm

The Deck of Shadows is listed here:

http://healing.about.com/od/divination/s......11_4.htm

Naturally, I would appreciate you all voting for The Deck of Shadows and letting your own friends and fans know about the contest.

Thank you, all, in advance, for your continued support of my creative endeavors. Your encouragement means so much.
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Hi Scott,

Congrats on that -- glad to hear that people are picking the best!

David
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Thanks, David!

The updated link for voting is here:

http://healing.about.com/od/divination/s......11_3.htm
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Very nice Smile

If it were a bit less expensive I could see cross-over uses in pen and paper roleplay gaming circles...
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Made my vote --

Scott, looks like you're a shoe in Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scott Grossberg's "Deck of Shadows" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL