The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Finding Updated Drivers for One's Computer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Can anybody recommend a utility that will scan one's computer and locate out-of-date drivers for a system's various componenets and then replace them with newer, updated drivers? I've found a few programs out there such as Driver Detective, PC Pitstop, and others but they all seem to have iffy reviews. Does anybody strongly recommend a particular "driver updater utility" that they like using and have had good success with? Thanks!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
It would be better to focus on individual major components and go to the mfr's site for the latest drivers.

IMO, there aren't all that many components that you really need updated drivers for all that often, unless you're changing operating systems.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I've never used it, but I have heard/read good things about Version Tracker Pro...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I suspect most of the update utilities will be rubbish. There is so much hardware that an update utility would need to keep track of that I suspect it would be too costly a service to provide seeing as one can do it manually fairly quickly.

Most manufacturers will allow you to download the latest drivers from their support site. I know Dell and Lenovo make this pretty easy, just go to the site, enter your machine's service code and you're presented with a list of the correct drivers. Otherwise you'll need to track down the sites for the individual components in your computer.

Shouldn't take more than 30mins to obtain all the drivers you need.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Thanks for the input! I ended up buying a one-year subscription to DriverAgent for $25 after doing some research online on CNET.com, PCWorld.com, etc.. It did a very good job at finding outdated drivers on my system. As for the Version Tracker Pro someone mentioned above, that seems to have gotten an abundance of negative reviews on various websites.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Do a google search for "Driver Detective." it works as advertised but requires a subscription as well.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Finding Updated Drivers for One's Computer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL