The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry flash paper? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I was wondering what is the best way to carry flash paper for strolling ?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
The best way to carry flash paper for strolling is to not.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
I use flash paper for my variation of Sankey's 'Phoenix Effect' and I just carry it in my pants pocket. Be VERY careful using flash paper in a restaurant though.
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Be sure the management knows you are going to do it, and make sure you have liability insurance.
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Definately get the ok from management first.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

William,

To better answer your question, my friend Eddy Cervantes has a fancy ciggerate holder (one that hinges and opens like a book) and he keeps flash paper in it. However...Eddy also doesn't work restaurants.

As Whit stated...you ALWAYS need to make sure you ask the Managements permission before using it and you should make darn certain that you have good liability insurance.

I would never use flash paper in a restaurant...but that's just me. That being said, I do fire eating at Crystals, but the trade off is that I'm on STAGE and my audience is about 10-15 feet from the stage while I perform. I also have 2 Chemical Fire Extinguisers on stage with me in case of accidents. My restaurant that I perform in went out and got all the special permits to allow me to do fire in the restaurant and they got extra insurance just in case.

I also carry a 5 million dollar insurance plan to cover accidents on the job.

But also, in my opinion...Fire Eating is "still" much safer then flash paper...but I'm sure I'm in the minority with that statement...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 16:08, Christopher Lyle wrote:
The best way to carry flash paper for strolling is to not.

Clever response!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

I know I was only going to use flash paper for a washer production and only if management will allow it.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Seems to me that using a simple L'Masquade would be a much cleaner sleight for producing a washer.

Think about it...

You show two empty hands, close your fist, rub the back of your hand and Ta Da. You have a clean "permissionless" production that won't offend anyone.

You'd be shocked at how some people get wiggy about a minor explosion e inches away from them...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-16 18:55, Christopher Lyle wrote:

You'd be shocked at how some people get wiggy about a minor explosion e inches away from them...

Agreed. When I use flash paper for an effect in my restaurants or at a party I try to feel out the table/group to see if they will be receptive to it. I would never use flash paper as an opener to produce something. You don't want to scare the table. Better safe than sorry.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1421 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Wow! Either times have changed, or I had the wrong mentor! Then again, it has been a while since I've worked a restaurant. My mentor was a pyro, non other than Jim Pace. He used flash paper in restaurants more than anything else, and so did I. I certainly agree with being cautious, and following all the necessary laws. The way Jim taught me to carry flash paper is very cost effective. He would take a pack of flash pads and cut them into thirds, lengthwise. Then staple each strip at the top. Basically you get three times the amount of flash paper, for the cost of one pad. Then he would clip one of those packets behind the lapel of his vest. I never worked in a vest, so I clipped them behind the lapel of my coat. When needed, I would reach behind my lapel, in a match pull type fashion, and pull one strip off the stack. I would use it to produce a coin, sponge ball, cards, cigs, and a variety of other items. I always used it as an opener, and it worked very well. Granted, this was a decade ago and the world has changed quite a bit since the 90's. Do heed other's warnings though, they are certainly valid. Good Luck! Smile
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
I strongly recommend carrying flash paper in a waterproof container filled with gasoline or napalm.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
I strongly recommend carrying flash paper in a waterproof container filled with gasoline or napalm.

WHAT? I just know that you are laughing, but throwing caution to the wind there are some who might actually do this if they read it here.

JP
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
OK. I DON'T strongly recommend carrying flash paper in a waterproof container filled with gasoline or napalm. Especially napalm.

*jeep!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

I found I nice carrying case for flash paper.

I cut them in half and carry them in a Tic Tac Chill case.
Silvio
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Silvio
I just put the flashpapers in the thin business card case the ones that can carry 10 cards only. It makes it elegant and same time small size to carry.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I like the vest idea, If I was working in a restaurant that had candles I would use flash paper but I don't.
Don't keep it where it will get wet, this includes your pants pockets if it is hot out, the moisture will leach the acid out and burn stuff.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Assuming you don't mind carrying each piece in a crumpled up ball, those old school pill bottles with the screw-tops work wonderfully.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Figment
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Figment
The Tic-Tac idea is pretty good. The camping section of most chain department stores (Wal-Mart, CostCo, Target, whatever) should have a waterproof match box made by Coleman or Ozark Trail or something similar. I like the idea of these being specifically designed to be proof against leakage and what-have-you.

Anyone got any thoughts on that?

On the safety note, I know a couple of stunt guys locally that do fire tricks. A few, I wouldn't trust with a Bic lighter, let alone the tricks they do. But a couple of them (who are both close friends) have a very paranoid mentality. They're not against doing the fire trick, but they have so many precautions and safety concerns that it borders on neurotic and they'll shut down the trick if they feel even a little out of safety. Like I said, they can get a little annoying, but when you're dealing with something like fire... well... I think it's the ONLY way to be: Don't be afraid to do it, but go stupid extreme on the safety - think of every possibility and be ready to NOT do it.

When these guys opt out of the fire, they have a large repertoire of other things they can do instead (and some pretty neat stuff). As it was mentioned, there's plenty of non-combustible ways to produce or vanish something Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Also, wear a mask during your performances in order to prevent the spread of H1N1 ...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry flash paper? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL