The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Oh!! Card or Money to Sealed Water Bottle by Spidey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Oh!! Card or Money to Sealed Water Bottle by Spidey
Format: DVD instructions, you make the gimmick
Arena: Close up, bar

This is an interesting DVD in that those watching it who are overly analytical and who really don’t understand what makes magic work will hate it while those who do get the psychology of magic and how the public reacts do it will like it. What Oh!! is at its base is a card, or bill, corner penetrates a plastic bottle of water. The bottle can then be opened and it is believed by the spectator to be sealed. Pretty basic huh? At first I didn’t think I would go for this but as I watched Spidey do it and gave the effect some thought and how I would present it I realized that it was a solid piece of magic if performed right. While a couple of presentations are thought I like the bare bones presentation in that you have a card selected, the corner is torn off, it penetrates the bottle, and the bottle is opened. Tada! The means of sealing the bottle, and no children items cannot really penetrate solids, is straight forward and for me one of those “oh man why didn’t I think of just doing that?” rather than some of the more labor intensive methods. It takes advantage of the fact that magic takes place in the mind of the spectator and also that one sense can override another.
The DVD includes two bonus routines, both are cool. One is a card is selected and pulled off of a rubber band holding a number of cards though a hole. I changed the presentation from Spideys’ “the cards are for beginners” to “the cards are for drunks”. The second is a neat little coin effect that I did at the bar and it went over well. Easy to do and a nice routine over all.
The production quality is an interesting mix. The camera used is very good, the sound is great, but the camera guy needs some help. He didn’t frame the shots well, cutting off the top of Spideys head and often missing action in the hands. If the camera guy sees this and thinks he does know what he is doing I bring up when Spidey says “move in to show this” and the camera at first moves out. If you were good you’d know which way to go with the little gizmo to make the close up happen. Spidey is a funny guy who does have a bit of a problem communicating clearly at times but it comes out more amusing than confusing. I think the presentation and explanations were kind of winged more so than practiced but he does a good enough job.
I enjoyed the DVD and I like the routines on it. I wouldn’t suggest this to the hypercritical because you’ll not like the effect but those who do street magic or like to perform for family this is a solid set of magic. I do like magic that takes advantage of the mind and senses and this does, it is like a lil’ illusion! Good stuff from Spidey.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Sorry for how the review looks, I have a new word processing tool and have not figured it out yet.
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
I don't really think much of this spidey fellow.

The torn corner with a card to impossible location is a method that has been extensively explored already. It's just a matter of isolating this sole effect and selling it to amateur magicians. It looks like a money making attempt aimed at beginner magicians hence the " you don't even have to know any magic to perform these effects" (from the art of attraction DVDs).

I would recommend a variety of similar effects that have more quality content then spidey, ie: iceman cometh etc.

Given that It didn't take much to figure out his method for prepping the bottle. Speaking of which I visited a store in montreal and the bottle for Oh! is flashing in their display case. Someone should fix this.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't disagree with you. It is far from an original concept and it is designed to be marketed to the newby/streety type magician and lets me honest, if I only looked at things from my almost 40 years (god) in magic then most things would fail. This is a cute little illusion that the people who do magic at home or for friends will enjoy, it isn't pro level stuff by any means. If you look at it too hard, as I said, it isn't going to pass mustard but, dang it, for what it is it is alright! I have a new philosophy on magic, if Dan White isn't involved it may have some merit...you ever see that nightmare of a bottle penitration he came out with? It was original cuz no one else would release such a bad idea. I liked it Spidey, you are alright in my book kid.
Spidey_magic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Spidey_magic
Hey Magic Santa,
thanks for the honest and great review... U are right about the non-rehearsed explanations...i like to give it a real feel, so I try to do them in one or two takes...unless I really mess up...in which case I change it.

I also REALLY like the "deck of cards for drunks" hahaha.... I will be using that from now on! and thanks for trying the bonus material Smile

respectfully and thankfully,
Spidey
Spidey_magic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Spidey_magic
Oh and also,

the art of attraction is aimed at guys who want to interact and has sold VERY well in both the magic AND SEDUCTION community. There's no shame in admitting that the tricks are easy, its not for professional magicians to learn new ideas its for anyone who wants to improve their interactions.

And please don't assume that this is only finding a place to put that corner... Magic Sante will correct me if I am wrong, but there are SEVERAL principles in this DVD that ARE very new and the extended version of the routine (which is the version I perform in shows) uses some ideas I haven't seen used like this... this is NOT recycled old crap...

thanks again MagicSanta...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No problem, I did it today and it went over well with the folks who saw blaine do the card through window. I think it is a cool lil' piece.
Spidey_magic
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Spidey_magic
Smile
immr1drfl
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of immr1drfl
Thanks for the review Santa
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You are welcome immr1drfl
MagicChris04
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of MagicChris04
I started a post on this DVD as well but due to empty accusations and off topic debated it was removed, but to restate my original point:

This effect is in my opinion the most practical bottle effect, the sealed bottle idea is brilliant, and all around the thinking behind the effect is really good. It has a freedom about it that most other bottle effects lack (due to angles and such) and theres nothing weird going on. Of the two bonus effects I use the coin trick ALOT because it is so practical and really nice for bars, as for the other one I don't mind it but I don't love it either, I do magic in social settings and so the coin effect is perfect!

EIther way this effect is one of my favorite effects to have with me ready to go whenever I need it! one time set up and I can do it again and again and again...

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1905 Posts

Profile of ted french
What bottle penetration did Dan White release? I'm refering to MS's previous post.
P3
practice practice perform.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2848 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 02:05, MagicChris04 wrote:
I started a post on this DVD as well but due to empty accusations and off topic debated it was removed, but to restate my original point:

This effect is in my opinion the most practical bottle effect, the sealed bottle idea is brilliant, and all around the thinking behind the effect is really good. It has a freedom about it that most other bottle effects lack (due to angles and such) and theres nothing weird going on. Of the two bonus effects I use the coin trick ALOT because it is so practical and really nice for bars, as for the other one I don't mind it but I don't love it either, I do magic in social settings and so the coin effect is perfect!

EIther way this effect is one of my favorite effects to have with me ready to go whenever I need it! one time set up and I can do it again and again and again...

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

MagicChris,

Your comments are right on sir. I met Spidey in Montreal this past year and when I watched OH! I felt it was so strong and I immediately saw the practicality of it. The possibilities are endless.

Just a heads up this is now available as an INSTANT DOWNLOAD.

DO NOT LIMIT YOURSELF TO A TORN CORNER OF A CARD OR BILL.

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/collect......y-spidey

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I wasn't going to bother with this effect for a variety of reasons. But....

...during my hiatus I see that my favorite Café reviewer, Magic Santa, digs OH. Hmmm. Then I see Nate Kranzo has it as a download for only $19.00. Nice price for a Magic Santa pick ( I also picked up 2 lighter leashes from Nate and a card trick PDF which I haven't read yet. ).

Well, Spidey is the real deal. He's a very charismatic guy that knows how to perform ( he shows live street performances on the DVD ). He does an excellent job teaching the effect, which he, for good reason, is quite passionate about. The DVD ( download ) is very thorough and teaches losta different applications for OH.

I like Spidey and highly recommend OH! Will an unknown full time pro add it? They might. Depends if they ever add new things. Some use the same act for decades. A restaurant worker or bartender might.
Folks that are looking for a killer effect that is not a knuckle-buster and lives up to the ad will find it delightful.

Here's the link to Nate's site. he offers the DVD, the download and the download and DVD as a package. The download was discounted and it loads very quickly so I chose that. The download is Quicktime.

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/collect......y-spidey

Spidey, nice work on this. I hope we see more of you in the future.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2848 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Wow Review King that was awesome!

This also got GREAT reviews in GENII Magazine this month from David Oliver.

“The effects that seem the most magical, are usually the ones that are easy to follow and easy to do. ‘OH!’ accomplishes both…. ..Clever, current, and easy to do.”

- David Oliver
GENII Magazine
December, 2009

I just spoke with Spidey and he has got a cool idea we'll look into posting soon!

Later,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
ozterix
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ozterix
I did buy this trick as a download from Kranzo and I must say I feel cheated. The ad clearly says:

"With this principle, it will take you 20 seconds to place small objects into sealed bottles."

Well this is not true and I have requested a refund. I guess I am not a very experienced magician to fall for this but I have decent experience and I was naive enough to believe this ad was true, I feel I need to share this as in my opinion it is seriously misleading and borderline with fraud.

oz
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6934 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Uh? What's not true? This is a very workable effect.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
"With this principle, it will take you 20 seconds to place small objects into sealed bottles."

My guess it is the above sentence. I can't be more clear without discussing method or tipping the workings and out of respect for the art of magic, I won't do that on an open forum.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6934 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
But he does teach you how to do that... Unless you are expecting real magic, you know there has to be some work to it...
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2848 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Thanks Cameron!

My thoughts exactly. This principle that Spidey put out is Bad Ass.

Once the secret is told the trick is sold. You can't refund awesomeness. I will stand by these words 4eva.

I'm a little old school.

Later,

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Oh!! Card or Money to Sealed Water Bottle by Spidey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL