The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Is it really illegal? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1051 Posts

Profile of Nash
To sign a bill?
caz recently I came up with a trick involving signed bills. and now I have a bunch of tip money with signatures across the president's face.

just wanted to make sure. Which is why I ask magicians instead of the bank
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
You think a bunch of folks you don't know will have valid answers, but folks who make a living exchanging currency won't?

Come on Nash...

How about visiting a government website where you can get a real answer?
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1051 Posts

Profile of Nash
OH come on Bill.

what's the fun in browsing any website that ends with .gov ?

EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1104 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is:

United States Secret Service
950 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20223.

Or click here:

http://www.bep.treas.gov/document.cfm/18/104

the key phrase is: "with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued"

Do I get any kind or credit (brownie points work too)? Smile
Consultant, performer, creator, and all around nice guy!
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1051 Posts

Profile of Nash
So ... I can still put the money in my bank right?

EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1104 Posts

Yep! Or I can put it in mine to be on the safe side... Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I don't think any magician has ever been charged or prosecuted under this statute.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I recall in the late 80s a magician charged for changing the SN on a bill, but the charges was later dropped.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
So are they saying if I take one of my own dollar bills and burn it up, I can get into trouble? I think not.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Burn down the evidences Smile
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 07:47, slyhand wrote:
So are they saying if I take one of my own dollar bills and burn it up, I can get into trouble? I think not.

Funny!

There are also many bars around this country that have signed dollar bills stapled to the walls, the ceiling... everywhere they can fit them. Seems to me I heard of one place that was required to count all the bills and claim it as income. Could be just urban legend, though.

So, Nash... Is anyone going to be able to prove that YOU signed all those bills? For 25+ years, I have been taking bills to the bank that have been torn into quarters and taped back together. Who tore them?? Hmmm... not sure. All I know is that my fingerprints might be on the tape proving that I made an effort to fix them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1104 Posts

Nash, just tell them you got them frin Michael Baker. They'll understand... Smile
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Hahaha This is a funny topic. Not like signing a bill will devalue it any faster than the rate the Fed is running the printing press.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Robert, the mint does not control the valuation of the US dollar based on how much is printed. The dollar and its worth is created in the banking system, no matter how many bills the mint prints. Your implication that the mint is printing extra money and worsening the recession is not only off-base, it's entirely false. The recession is the result of banking.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 08:36, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Burn down the evidences Smile

LOL!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I once took a few bills ($5-10 and a few $1's)that I used for Fraud (Danny Garcia) to the bank... they wouldn't take them and 'strongly recommended' that I not try to spend them.

Solution? I used it for beer money at the liquor store. Smile
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 20:31, Magic_Steve wrote:
I once took a few bills ($5-10 and a few $1's)that I used for Fraud (Danny Garcia) to the bank... they wouldn't take them and 'strongly recommended' that I not try to spend them.

Solution? I used it for beer money at the liquor store. Smile

Yea, they take anything!
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Quote:

They are not "your" dollars. They belong to the government. They let you use them and therefore entitle you to the amount they are "worth."
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 13:23, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
Quote:

They are not "your" dollars. They belong to the government. They let you use them and therefore entitle you to the amount they are "worth."

The amount of what? We are not on the gold standard anymore. So what will they give me in return if I turn them back in?
I really don't believe the government owns my currency.

Alec
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Do I really have to go into an economics lesson here?

The worth or value of the US dollar is based on exchange rates or how it's value compares to other currency traded around the world.

The fiat money system we use now after dropping the gold silver standard means there is no inherent worth to paper currency. It is a piece of paper. A 10 is printed on the same paper as a 100. It is worth what the government says it is worth (based on open market trading) because it owns it.

This still works because of the value that has been implied to what has been printed on the pieces of paper. There is still a supply and demand. People are willing to work for these useless papers, as well as give up their goods for the same paper. It is all set up on a mutual belief system. You believe the paper has value and so do others, therefore it works for both of you. kinda sick. but that's the way it works.

You do not own it. You have permission to use it. If it were yours...you could do what you want with it...there would not be such laws as stated above.

Unfortunately your thoughts are your own ignorant beliefs...not mutual...and based on your interpretation of things including no facts, no truth, no knowledge. This unfortunately does not work in the "real" world.

Burn "your" money...video tape it and send to the government with your name and address.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Is it really illegal? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL