We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Is it really illegal? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Wow, we have gotten hostile haven't we? Sorry I have riled you up so.

I suppose I am just an ignorant bumpkin.
I am sure if I do as you say I will be arrested and thrown into jail. Won't that make the headlines!
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Hostile? no. I am not riled up. Just trying to set things straight.

If the word ignorance is hostile to you, only you can change it. I can only try to help, like I did, by supplying you with more correct information.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Then maybe we should warn the sellers of the Mismade Bill as well as Tango, Johnson and Sterling to name a few. We don't want them to get into hot water.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
One of the things that I love about The Magic Café' is how the most innocent of all posts can get turned into a war.

I'll throw another nickle in the slot to keep the entertainment going...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Nah, no war.
I just think the gov has more on their hands than to ever prosecute someone who makes paper currency or coins unusable for spending. Unless of course its for illegal use such as counterfeiting and such.

Alec
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-08-16 18:22, restaurantmagician wrote:
Defacement of Currency
Blah, blah, blah... with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be blah, blah, blah..

Says to me that signing a bill is not considered defacement of currency.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I think the KEY word here is "intent." If it is defaced with the "INTENT to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued," but who can prove your intent? As for signing the bill, and the fact that everyone spends bills with writing on them all the time.

Since we do not know, or have a say in what renders a bill "unfit to be reissued" how can we do something to a bill with the intent to do something to it that we do not know what that something IS.

Any who, I have heard the "law" interpreted as being meant to stop people from defacing bills to make them appear as a different value, like adding a "zero" on a $10. Of course this applies far more to American money than other countries where the money is of different colours.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

I wonder what "reissued" is supposed to mean?

A counterfeiter certainly has the intent to "re-use" the bill after adding a few zeros, but what does "reissued" actually mean?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
One more thing. Destroying "their" currency is basically the same thing as taking it out of circulation. If I bury a bill or coin in my back yard it is the same thing as it being gone and that is certainly not illegal.

Our own gov wants us to not spend a certain amount but to save it and not put it into circulation. Why else would they make two dollar bills, state quarters, presidential dollar coins, Susan B's, and all the rest of "collectible" money?

Alec
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Wow
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I know you may think I am nuts, so here is a little something for any who are interested in it.

http://www.castle.house.gov/News/Documen......D=107097

Alec
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Please disregard my post on another thread on how to cut mismade bills. It was all just theory on how I WOULD do it if I WERE going to do it.
Thank you very much,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
We won't tell. Promise.

Alec
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 07:47, slyhand wrote:
So are they saying if I take one of my own dollar bills and burn it up, I can get into trouble? I think not.

Only if you tried to reintroduce the burnt up bill into circulation. If you burn it up, you can't reintroduce it, can you?

Like Flo says in the Progressive Insurance commercial "If your mother won't let you drive, then you probably won't have an accident, right?"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 18:42, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 07:47, slyhand wrote:
So are they saying if I take one of my own dollar bills and burn it up, I can get into trouble? I think not.

Only if you tried to reintroduce the burnt up bill into circulation. If you burn it up, you can't reintroduce it, can you?

Like Flo says in the Progressive Insurance commercial "If your mother won't let you drive, then you probably won't have an accident, right?"

The wording of the law seems to imply the exact opposite. If you burn it with the INTENT of PREVENT it from being able to be re-introduced, not to deface, or burn it, and TRY to re-introduce it.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Whatever the wording, the chances of the gov doing anything to you is pretty much 0%.

Alec
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Once it's burnt, where's the evidence?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
538 Posts

Profile of Carducci
It's worth mentioning that people write on bills all the time. In a typical retail scenario, all the $x bills are counted into a stack with the total written on the top bill. This prevents the counter from re-counting bill stacks and makes it easy to track down a mistake.

I had a client who worked for the federal reserve bank, and I have actually called the Secret Service to get clarification on counterfeit law (and I asked this question as well). The above is the answer I got both times. Basically when a bill that has been written on is found by a bank, it is taken out of circulation and replaced (the same thing happens when a bill gets worn out).

Interesting side-note:
If your paper currency is damaged beyond use (by fire, torn up etc) you can send it in for a replacement
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
So the answer is... NO, you are not going to get into trouble writing, tearing, marking, burning, chewing or wiping your nose with American currency. At least not from the government anyway. Smile

Alec
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
...and if you still have any doubts, buy one of those counterfeit detector pens and have people sign their name with it! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Is it really illegal? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL