The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Few questions, Local Clubs (UK, SE) and the FANS!!!!!!!!!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Few Questions-

Just a big thanks to all the replies to my first post, I near enough wrote an essay yet people read it all and was kind to reply.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

I just have a few questions more-

Firstly I took some of your advice and I've started back at the start of the Royal Road To Card Magic book.
I'm sitting there praticing my overhand shuffle till I can do it perfect without thinking or looking.
:)

One thing I've read that is a must learn is a 'FAN', which I am struggling with. I've watched my dvd's read various ones from my RRTCM and even viewed the paul Wilson dvd collection on it.
Yet I can not fan one bit, just clumps of cards spread if any at all.
Should I be struggling with this? or is the FAN a basic move that I should not be having issues with?

I tend to get a knack for most moves after a few tries but the FAN is really playing me up!

Also I see a lot of suggestions to reherse constantly, pratice pratice and pratice until your confident with your patter and routine so you do not have to think what next etc.
People suggest reheasrsing on family and friends etc....

My issue is, I don't see my family much and when I do I think it's annoying them when I pull my cards out now.
I don;t see many friends as I have a busy life, my main person to pratice on is the Wife and I think the 5000000 time I do a amibitous routine on her will make her want to stab me with the cards!

So what do you guys do to get real good feedback and pratice?
I don't think I'm anywhere near to offer my services to charitys for pratice etc, I get nervous showing the wife!

Last but not least, I live in UK, Kent - South East. I've scanned the web but can't find any clubs or so and so I can attend to pratice at or just meet people who enjoy the same thing.
Most of them are either London (too far) or up North (Too Far). Anyone know of magic clubs or something closer to the SE England?

Thanks

Regards

Waz
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Hello Waz

The fan can be quite tricky at first. Jeff McBride's DVD - The Art of card manipulation has some great stuff on fans. Also, start with the two handed fans. Do them slowly, don't be afraid to stop and adjust the cards as you do it. Take note of your hands and fingers actions and grips during the slow fan. You'll get it eventually.

I practice mostly with my girlfriend. I find that spouse's go through 4 stages of "practice abuse":
1) Excitement to see a new trick, or a good trick again.
2) Reluctance. They'll watch - but just to make you happy.
3) Denial. They don't want to see because they're busy or they've seen that one already. Don't be deterred!!
4) Acceptance. They watch it because they have no choice.

I'm at stage 4) and it's great! She watches everything.I also practice on my neighbors and colleagues at work.

Good luck
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
Smile

Maybe you misinterpret her behaviour and step 4) must be called RESIGNATION!

I am still at step 2) after 1,5 years of doing magic. I am reluctant to get stuck at step 3).

Back to topic:
As I already wrote I am practicing for about 1,5 years now. So far I never had the need to show some decent fan, so what? If you do not need it don't waste your time with it. Some more advice: If you have some spare money, switch from RRTCM to Roberto Giobbis "Card College". At first I did not want to spend that much money, but in the end I did and I am very happy with this decision. At http://www.hermeticpress.com you get it for $160. It is worth each cent.

Shipment is included at $170 value, so I ordered one more book and got 6 very good books for 170€ (shipment and taxes included) within 7 or 8 days. Nice deal for me.

As with recruitment of audience I cannot be of any help. My youngest son offered to watch for money, so there is that... Smile
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Thanks for replies,
Olaf911

After 1.5 years, how well are you doing if you don't mind me asking.

What kind of tricks, moves etc are you very capable of.
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
One more thing:

If you show your ability for sleights and flourishes, then it is likely that the audience assumes you do your magic with sleight of hand only. I deliberatly avoid this impression. One time I had to retain the top 5 cards when doing a riffle shuffle. Well, obviously I overdid it that time, since one spectator saw this as clumsiness and kindly and honestly offered to do the shuffle for me.

olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
Well, it is not easy to measure one's ability in magic, so I will try to describe my status by examples.

I am able to entertain the audience for about 30min without them falling asleep or throwing objects at me. I do 8 tricks in this timespan. Some very short, some last longer. Until now no laymen seem to have been able to "catch me", so I think the mechanics work quite well. Since the response of the audience until now was well, I think the entertaining value was well also, which is as it should be in the first place.

What I am capable of? Hard to say. I love sponges and ropes, so I am more enthusiastic with these, but I also can handle cards and coins in a way. Card handling is basic, coins also. There is ***MUCH*** to be improved here. This is why I am constantly practicing whatever is fun for me at the time.

So I am afraid I cannot tell you how good my pass or double lift is, but maybe you got some impression where I stand now. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Olaf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Few questions, Local Clubs (UK, SE) and the FANS!!!!!!!!!!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL