The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Never Again! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
When I first started doing magic, I did the finger chopper. At one birthday party, I didn't set it right and it came down on the girl's finger pretty hard (Thank-God not too hard, there was no blood), needless to say I was absolutely horrified, but she turned out okay, didn't even cry, but it had hurt her.
That was bad. Very bad. Probably the worst I've ever done, and thankfully far back in the mists of time.
On the positive side, I've managed never to burn a child. Ah, but that's part of growing up: cuts and burns and such. Since it's been over 20 years since I almost sliced off the little girls' finger, I'm thinking of ressurecting the old finger chopper, and renaming it 'Wendy's Ultimate Finger Chopper'. Oh, never mind...

Is it possible that children's entertainers have a real dark side? Maybe it's just me...

I produce loads from chick and dove pans, and usually use flash paper, and have never had a parent tell me of something really bad that happened as a result of their child imitating me making fire, and this after having done the routine more than a thousand times over the years. Nevertheless, on some occasions I use a finger flasher with flash cotton to make the 'flame', which is something kids can't imitate, the fire seemingly appearing from nowhere. I may just use the finger flasher method from now on, since it doesn't compromise the 'flash' that the kids like.

I poke fun at myself during my show, and I get those little assistants into silly situations as often as possible but I make sure that at the end of the routine they have succeeded in making magic. I try to be sensitive to the ones who are overly sensitive, and I go easy on them if they look like they might cry. My goal is to make everyone happy. These days, I usually manage to complete my birthday party shows without causing injury to the children.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
A little boy age eleven years asked me to turn his one dollar bill into a hundred dollar bill. I turned it into a hundred and then turned it back into a one. He started to cry and told me I stole his hundred dollar bill. He made a big scene and told some other children around him that I cheated him. Fron now on I turn my money into hundred dollar bills.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 23:15, Mr Mike wrote:
A little boy age eleven years asked me to turn his one dollar bill into a hundred dollar bill. I turned it into a hundred and then turned it back into a one. He started to cry and told me I stole his hundred dollar bill. He made a big scene and told some other children around him that I cheated him. Fron now on I turn my money into hundred dollar bills.

If you think about it, he has a point. You are a "magician" so you can do that all the time. We know we are doing tricks, but this child thought you were real, and "tricked" him.

Better to do this the Copperfield way, get a large bill from them, as large as you can, and turn it into a one dollar bill. Then they will REALLY want you to change it back....
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Someone is bound to point out that kids can tell the difference between real and fake and, for example, will bring up Road Runner cartoons, Superman movies, and the like.

But those are CLEARLY not real.

A magician, to be successful, must pretend that what is happening is real -- the coin really does come from the nose, the paper really is swallowed, etc.

And those "mixed messages" are what confuse a child.

Remember: you can do this because you know what is real and not real.
A child has neither the life experience or the technical know-how to necessarily tell the difference.

You have been warned! The intelligent ones will heed the warning; the others will stumble along until someone gets hurt.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 23:15, Mr Mike wrote:

I remember the legend of Thurston (I think it was) doing the Miser's Dream at a reservation. After reaching under the chief's vest and producing a fan of coins, the chief insisted that the coins were his. The magician had pulled them out of his vest, hadn't he? Thurston gave up and gave him the coins. (Of course, it only cost him a few dollars.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
me=sean
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of me=sean
Once I saw some parents taking a photo of their child after on of my magic shows, but seemed quite distraught. When I pulled a funny face to make her laugh, she screamed and fell down crying! I later found out that she got spooked by a halloween mask a few weeks ago and got easily spooked...
Man I felt bad after that...
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
As a kid I remember hating the fact that only the child assistant got a gift for helping and all those that didn't help didn't get anything.
It wasn't fair becaue he got to help and got a gift and all the others that wanted to help didn't only not get a gift but also didn't get to help.
Life is so unfair at times right?
When I turned pro I said to myself that will never happen in my show. my assistants will wait for their gift at the end of the show when I give evry one a gift.
I made 60 paper magic wands, produced them from an open front production cabinet (i love that word cabinet - its actualy a box), and throw them into the audience at the end of the show.
I will leave it to your imaginations to guess what happened to those scrambling kids. IT WAS A DOWNRIGHT BATTLE FIELD OUT THERE - ALL ADULTS HAD TO RUN FOR THEIR LIVES.

never again. ever since, I don't give anyone a gift - there is no need what so ever. the show is my giving - making them laugh and enjoy is my moto.

enjoy,
Dani
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
But, Peter, 50 years of experience doesn't necessarily mean you're RIGHT. I'll respect your right to have an opinion, but stating that something is cast in stone is a little arrogant, don't you think? Copperfield pushes the "groping" issue, and impregnates a woman on stage. Blackstone always did the "hard of hearing" bit in his committe routine. Penn and Teller do darn near everything that crosses the line, and Amazing Jonathan (admittedly, not who I consider a magician) constantly makes manure of his helpers. And every one of them is more successful than you (or I.)

So, who's to say what's "cast in stone?"

P.S. By the way, I agree with the "behind the ear." I do a routine with crayons, and I'd hate to see one of *those* jammed into an ear canal!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-01-06 15:15, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
I'll tell you about the worst mistakes I have done in magic. Both occurred when I was pretty new to magic, and not during a show.

There is a trick called "My girlfriend". It's a trick where a semi clothed beautiful woman turns into a semi clothed ugly/woman. I used to carry it around everywhere, showing it to everyone. At one point a boy aged around 10, met me on the street, and wanted to see some magic. Before I had done anything, he said something like this:

"Do that thing with the naked chick!"

Then it occurred to me that apparently I had at some time showed him that trick, although I had no memory of it. It also occurred to me that the woman in the picture was half naked. I had never thought about it that way, to me it was just a funny trick, with a beautiful woman changing to an ugly woman. I never reflected that she had so little clothes on. I realized that it might not be a great thing to do to show pictures of half naked people to 10 year olds Smile

The other thing was much worse. It was after a childrens show, and the father of the birthday child was talking with me, and an older sister, about 9 years old was there too. I wanted to do some extra things for them, and I had recently learned how to pull a silk through a t-shirt. I had never done it before, and I was very nervous, so I turned to the girl instead of the father:

"Let me show you something funny!"

I pushed the silk into my fist, and grabbed hold of her t-shirt, which turned out to be a VERY tight t-shirt, that was also too short, leaving her belly bare (in Sweden they are called "belly-shirts" and are a constant debate topic among parents if they are ok for children to wear or not). When I had grabbed her belly-shirt I put my fist under it Smile since it was so short and tight, I had to put my fist up very high under the shirt, to hide it. I then pulled the silk through her shirt. All this happened so fast that I didn't react until it was too late. I thought:

"Oh no! How scary for her! A foreign man put his hand under her shirt..."

I felt so stupid, afraid I had traumatized her. I showed them some more things, and the father and I talked. This early in my carrier I didn't have a car, and after a while, he was going to drive me back home. When we got into the car, I was close to tears from my mistake, and said to him:

"I must REALLY apologize..."

He didn't understand what I was talking about.

I told him about my mistake, and my fear of his daughter feeling violated. He said:

"No no, I didn't think about anything like that at all. Things like that are so hyped up through the media!"

He said he didn't think his daughter felt violated either.

What I learned from this is that if you don't think about what you do BEFORE, it's very easy to get into trouble...

I can also see that when those two things happened I was focused mostly on showing the trick, and who I showed it to or used as an assistant was less important. And I hadn't thought much about if the trick was tasteful either.

I guess no one here has made such a big mistake anytime as I did in the last story, right?

Mikael

Boy, the gods of magic were smiling on you!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Hmm... wow... this gives me a lot of food for thought on which tricks to get for my act. So... the sword through the neck is out... darn!
Eyesee
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Eyesee
Great thread, I learned a lot!!!

-Pete
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
This is an interesting thread.

Years ago I used to do some cigarette tricks. One that I did was to push a cigarette into the ear and pull it out of my mouth. I did this for some kids that my wife was babysitting at the time. Then one day I received a call from an irate parent who wanted to know why her kid had a crayon stuck in his ear.

Some years later I was working at a hospital and they had a display board of all the things they pulled out of kids orifices (ears, nose, stomach, you name it). Scary.

Never again!!
I try to be mindfull of what ideas I might be putting into 'the little darlings' heads.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Now I still do this, but it fits in with the idea of the topic, on how much little ones try to imitate stuff that you do.

I am also a facepainter. So at B-days and other events I may do facepainting after a show. My one friend who had me perform at her little one's birthday told me about this.

The little girl wanted to be spiderman. So I painted her face like spiderman. Cool. It looked great. Everybody was happy. A few weeks later, my friends tells me that her little one wanted to look really cool for the first day of school. The girl ended up using some markers on her face to draw the spiderman mask. It was permanent marker too!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I guess some kids are really dumbing down. When I was young, I didn't attempt the dangerous stuff because my parents emphasized that it was dangerous. I was even given my first firearms safety lesson when I was 5, when my dad brought home my grandpa's revolver, shortly after his death. I certainly never touched the thing without permission! Apparently, personal responsibility and common sense isn't taught much anymore.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-12-23 17:23, Alan Munro wrote:
Apparently, personal responsibility and common sense isn't taught much anymore.

My experience shows that this also goes for manners and etiquette. But I digress from the thread topic.

Brian
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Is the classic example when the kid goes home and rolls up some newspaper and dumps a gallon of milk into it? I still like the effect though. Hey its not my milk and my carpet.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I remember doing a cut and restored rope effect at a mall years ago. I made the mistake of bringing up a small kid and letting him use the scissors to cut the rope. The shears were extra sharp and the child did cut the rope. However, he took part of my finger as well. I could not finish the routine due to the blood dripping. I learned from that day on that anyone using the scissors has to be an adult. I told the audience that I was not prepared to do a cut and restored finger routine. Although they knew I was really hurt, they laughed at my line and departed. I had several stiches put in my finger.

Glenn
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Even adults will cut your finger. Never trust anybody. Trust me I know!
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-12-25 12:50, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
Never trust anybody. Trust me ...

Hmmm, ok.

Brian
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Ha! You got it Brian!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Never Again! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL