The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Although Fakinis are excellent as a set that will serve you well for many years, I had a great deal of success, as a kid, with Goshman's Multiplying Sponge Balls. The balls are denser than his typical sponge balls, making them easy to handle, and they're great for small hands. They may not work if your hands are really tiny, however. Also, the GMSBs will deteriorate, at least the set that I had back in high school, some 30 years ago, began to crumble after a couple years. They're great as a cheap starter set, until you can handle and/or afford a set of Fakinis.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 11:35, Alan Munro wrote:
Although Fakinis are excellent as a set that will serve you well for many years, I had a great deal of success, as a kid, with Goshman's Multiplying Sponge Balls. The balls are denser than his typical sponge balls, making them easy to handle, and they're great for small hands. They may not work if your hands are really tiny, however. Also, the GMSBs will deteriorate, at least the set that I had back in high school, some 30 years ago, began to crumble after a couple years. They're great as a cheap starter set, until you can handle and/or afford a set of Fakinis.

Unless something came earlier, these were originally known as the Chicago Balls. It may have been Magic, Inc. or Ireland that put them out. I have a set , and I'll check to see if the instructions are still with them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Fakini's are the tops, but to start out check out everything, I have a drawer full of rubber, wood, plastic billiard and whatever balls. Find what you like...try stuff out. If I am going for a walk I have cheap balls to fiddle with, that way the street drain only gets small change from me.

Play.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Loyal R,

As Faulkner said, PLAY.

Start out with just one ball. (it can be any ball. doesn't have to be expensive. toy shops have rubber balls) With just one ball you can create ALLOT of magic. Seeing youtube videos of people playing with 4, 5 even 8 balls is great. But start small. One is plenty. How about a ball that keeps haunting you? It keeps popping from your hand during your show. It becomes a little annoyance. An audience will laugh with you as you go about handling this pesky little ball.

A great video/dvd set on manipulation comes from Jeff McBride's World Class Manipulation. He teaches thimbles, balls and coins. All practical, effective material...The cheaper route is to go to a library and take out all the books on magic and learn for free......one of the great things about America....libraries!

play play play
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 13:45, Nick W wrote:
A great video/dvd set on manipulation comes from Jeff McBride's World Class Manipulation.

I agree. It will supply you with a lot of information.
Dr. Hoodwink
View Profile
New user
Eastern NC
42 Posts

Profile of Dr. Hoodwink
Good Evening, Gents.

While the thread is still somewhat fresh...

I've made some balls for manipulation. They're just 1.5" wooden balls from the local Michael's craft store. I gave'em a coat of red paint and a few coats of 'Ardcoat (a wargaming miniature sealant from Games Workshop). I find that the surface is...not-as-slippery? Kinda tacky? Not-quite-nonslip? It feels so much better than the cheap wooden set of multiplying balls I got a while back.

Just wondering. Has anyone found a varnish or laquer or some such substance that improves the grip on home-made or customized spheres? Testors gloss spray, perhaps?

I'll also vote for the McBride series of videos. I use it in conjuction with my Mark Wilson and Bill Tarr books.

NickW above spoke about using a single ball. I LOVE playing with a simple wooden orb. I don't carry much magic with me during the day, but my red wooden ball is always on me. In character, it's a family artifact. Everyone in my mythological magical family makes one when they matriculate into the higher levels of their training...kind of like a jedi's lightsaber. In my embryonic show, I bring out a wooden ball vase, go through some motions with it and the ball with the ball becoming increasingly capricious. I haven't decided whether or not to use the line, "It's got everything you think it's got. Wires, magnets, trapdoors, smoke and mirrors. It's tricked up nine ways to Sunday. Let's count them..." As NickW said, there's a lot of magic in a single ball.

Regards,
Rob
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I really like Chris Ballinger multiplying foil balls. check it out.
Aidan G
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Aidan G
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 11:35, Alan Munro wrote:
Although Fakinis are excellent as a set that will serve you well for many years, I had a great deal of success, as a kid, with Goshman's Multiplying Sponge Balls. The balls are denser than his typical sponge balls, making them easy to handle, and they're great for small hands. They may not work if your hands are really tiny, however.
I agree, I have the Goshman's Multiplying sponge balls too and they work great for my small hands.
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 08:10, Regan wrote:
Fakini

In regards to what kind of balls to use, I would have to disagree with Regan. If you have never done balls before, I would start off with Vernets, because they are cheaper. You may end up deciding that you do not like ball manipulation and Fakinis are 4 times the price of Vernets.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Vernet's are horrid and would make just about anyone not want to do ball manipulation. They stick into your fingers like little barbs. Get some high bounce balls for practice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL